PDA

View Full Version : Problem Changing Bits

JeffK
03-03-2007, 11:50 AM
Hello, I've had my system for about 3 weeks now. I haven't been able to use it as much as I'd like but I've been having some fun.

The only problem I have, and am almost too embarressed to mention is changing a factory inserted bit out from the bit adapter. I would like to try using a different ball nose bit but I absolutely can't remove either the carving bit or the straight bit from the adapters they came in. I've tried using silicon spray with no luck, the things will not budge, so much so I thought the bits and adapters were one piece.

After reading the manual for a second time I noticed they mentioned thread cement....

"For 1/4” shank bits, insert bit into bit adapter and tighten setscrews with
supplied Allen wrench (See Figure 21). Position the bit in the adapter as
shown in Figure 22 and always make sure the setscrews are tight. Always
use a drop of permanent thread cement on each setscrew to prevent them
from loosening."

Do the factory bits come cemented into the adapters? Do I need to buy extra adapters to use other bits? Has anyone else had this issue? I would have thought changing a bit would be the least of my problems.

Any suggestion is appreciated,
Thanks,
Jeff

tonyd919
03-03-2007, 12:01 PM
It comes already cemented in with loctite. You have to buy new adapters which you can get from sears.

pkunk
03-03-2007, 12:09 PM
Loosen the set screws by heating gently with a heat gun or some other heat source. Once warm the threadlock will soften. I reuse the adapters often.

JeffK
03-11-2007, 08:52 PM
The heat trick worked great!
I switch out the bits and made the flutes I wanted perfectly. Now I need to start having some real fun with this thing.
Thanks alot,
Jeff

cajunpen
03-11-2007, 09:50 PM
I think that the extra bit holders are only about $3.00 each. I bought a few extras to keep on hand for trying other bits - but just like everything else, I haven't gotten around to that either.