PDA

View Full Version : scale to length

freddy12
12-12-2014, 11:03 AM
Hi Folks: Have a small problem with "scale to length "" message I did a search but found nothing to help Im sure you old salts have heard it a million times. I cut two boards exactly the same, 8.5X15, taped long edge first one cut fine no problem the second one gave me no other option but to scale to length, thinking it would only be about 1/64" I said OK but it shrunk it to less than half size, I thought what the heck is going on here. Is there a work around?

fwharris
12-12-2014, 11:11 AM
The machine measured the second board shorter than what you wanted. When ever you get the "scale to length or width" message is will reduce the size to what it thinks the board size is. When you got the message there were 2 sets of numbers displayed. One was your design size and the other the measured board size.

A work around would be to modify your design board size to just under the board dimensions. Another would be to add 4" blanks to each end of the board.

freddy12
12-12-2014, 11:24 AM
But both my boards were exactly the same size, whenever I cut more than one board the same size I stack them up and run my fingers around the edges to make sure, besides that I have a beismeyer fence that is really accurate. I have been cutting panels a long time. I could understand if the machine said my board was a few thousands of an inch less. but come on to punish us with shrinking it to less than half is a serious flaw in the machine. So my question is if it happens again what is the best option? go cut another perfect board?

lynnfrwd
12-12-2014, 11:26 AM
It's not a matter of the boards not being the same size. It is a matter of the tracking roller measuring them both the same. One lost traction or slipped and measured smaller than it was. Use masking tape on the bottom to help with traction. It could be too slick, have a divit, warped or bowed.

freddy12
12-12-2014, 11:31 AM
I had masking tape, checked the board no divots dings or dents under the tape or on ANY edge?

freddy12
12-12-2014, 11:33 AM
forgot to add I also had the extra 3.5 " on each end and an extra !" on width

bergerud
12-12-2014, 11:43 AM
My guess would be that your Designer board is also 8.5X15 and the machine measured the second board just a little less. (Board sensor measurements always vary a little.) Then it asked to scale, you answered yes and also answered yes to stay under rollers. The machine then shrunk your pattern (board from 15 -> 15 - 7 =8.

One has to always make the Designer board at least a little smaller than the real board so the scale routine is not called.

Remember: the pattern size as far as the program is concerned is the size of the board in Designer.

mtylerfl
12-12-2014, 11:51 AM
Hi Folks: Have a small problem with "scale to length "" message I did a search but found nothing to help Im sure you old salts have heard it a million times. I cut two boards exactly the same, 8.5X15, taped long edge first one cut fine no problem the second one gave me no other option but to scale to length, thinking it would only be about 1/64" I said OK but it shrunk it to less than half size, I thought what the heck is going on here. Is there a work around?

Perhaps the following article will help:

Scaling and How to Avoid It! – ISSUE 18 March 2009 (http://www.carvewright.com/assets/tips/CarveWrightTips_and_Tricks_Mar09.pdf)

fwharris
12-12-2014, 12:34 PM
My guess is you said yes to staying under the rollers. When doing so the machine will add 7" to your design board and when measuring the board if it sees it as anything shorter than the board size plus 7" you will get the scale message.

Since you did add the end blocks to your board you can avoid this issue by saying no to staying under the rollers. When the machine sees that you have more board than your design size you will get a prompt on how you want to place the carving on the board. Most will use the center on board option.

Digitalwoodshop
12-12-2014, 01:54 PM
This is where a paper tape printer would be great... Like a cash register tape... that plugged into the DB-25 jack just as the Talking Module did... And a hard copy record was made of the LCD messages and data. Knowing what the data was and selections made would be a great troubleshooting tool.

AL

freddy12
12-12-2014, 04:17 PM
Well at least you guys didnt ignore me, and thank you all very much for your help Michael Tyler your article was an eye opener. I have always added the 7'' but now I will add7.25. The weird thing is once I got a prompt for the width, but had the option to ignore. I fond a quick fix anyway, by just pin nailing a 1/4 pc. of the same mtl. to the end and running it again!!

fwharris
12-12-2014, 04:28 PM
Well at least you guys didnt ignore me, and thank you all very much for your help Michael Tyler your article was an eye opener. I have always added the 7'' but now I will add7.25. The weird thing is once I got a prompt for the width, but had the option to ignore. I fond a quick fix anyway, by just pin nailing a 1/4 pc. of the same mtl. to the end and running it again!!

That works also..

cnsranch
12-13-2014, 10:47 AM
freddy - you may want to calibrate the width and length measurements of your machine.......given that your cuts are perfect, you should ensure that the machine is measuring the same. Calibrating these two is relatively simple - there's a tutorial on CW's website.

ktjwilliams
12-22-2014, 09:29 PM
Sounds like you could-a had a slip or skip ... This has happened to me with identical sized boards .. The first thing I do , and it usually works , is to turn off the machine for 30-40 seconds,, Lift the head N reset the board and start the project again .. Also, I have used scale and never had a major difference in size of project like you said, difference in size is not even noticeable ......

Kevin

mtylerfl
12-23-2014, 10:14 AM
Never, ever allow the machine to scale projects. It is far too risky and can spoil a project. Kevin, you may not have noticed a difference because the board size was very close (but not quite) the size it needed to be.

Again, DO NOT allow scaling of any project. It will assuredly "bite" you sooner or later. I take an average of two to three calls per month from users who are puzzled why "my project came out too small". No mystery there...it's because they allowed scaling (i.e., their board was the incorrect size is by far the most common reason).

Please, if you have not read the following article, do so. It will save a lot of projects and a lot of unnecessary headaches!

Scaling and How to Avoid It! – ISSUE 18 March 2009 (http://www.carvewright.com/assets/tips/CarveWrightTips_and_Tricks_Mar09.pdf)

ktjwilliams
12-24-2014, 10:45 AM
Thank You ... However, I only allow scale when it is very close .. Say board is 25.5 and machine comes up with 25.492 ... I really don't understand how the machine continues to be off by even a couple 100ths on indentically sized boards or even when you measure the same board a couple times just for the hell of it to see how the machine does .. My tape measure gets it the same every time and was a lot cheaper then this PRECISION machine !!! Ha

Never, ever allow the machine to scale projects. It is far too risky and can spoil a project. Kevin, you may not have noticed a difference because the board size was very close (but not quite) the size it needed to be.

Again, DO NOT allow scaling of any project. It will assuredly "bite" you sooner or later. I take an average of two to three calls per month from users who are puzzled why "my project came out too small". No mystery there...it's because they allowed scaling (i.e., their board was the incorrect size is by far the most common reason).

Please, if you have not read the following article, do so. It will save a lot of projects and a lot of unnecessary headaches!

fwharris
12-24-2014, 11:28 AM
Thank You ... However, I only allow scale when it is very close .. Say board is 25.5 and machine comes up with 25.492 ... I really don't understand how the machine continues to be off by even a couple 100ths on indentically sized boards or even when you measure the same board a couple times just for the hell of it to see how the machine does .. My tape measure gets it the same every time and was a lot cheaper then this PRECISION machine !!! Ha

It is all in the brass roller!!!! Besides your tape measure is only as good as YOUR eyes! :)

scootertrash
12-30-2014, 03:14 PM
There's a db25 port? I may be able to work with it if data comes off it.

lynnfrwd
12-30-2014, 03:36 PM
You will not be able to get any information off of that port. It is something we used in the first year (2006) here at the shop, but not capable of producing any information. It wasn't worth the cost to redesign and take if off the newer machines, but will not give you any feedback.