PDA

View Full Version : How do you put on the collet.

codydobranski
12-10-2014, 09:57 PM
I will be having some collets coming in the mail as i ordered the bits before i got the machine and they didnt have any collets on them when i got them. What is the best way to put the collets on the bits?

bergerud
12-10-2014, 10:40 PM
Do you mean Carvetight press on adapters or the split collet? What type of bits are you talking about. Steel shank or carbide?

codydobranski
12-11-2014, 10:09 PM
The bits i have are the keyhole bit and a vcarve and i would assume i need the split collet and stoppers to put it on but i dont know how i should put them on.

bergerud
12-11-2014, 11:11 PM
I have not used the split collets. Maybe

http://www.carvewright.com/assets/service/Manuals/CarveWright_manual_C_SN.pdf

will help. Page 32.

lynnfrwd
12-12-2014, 12:17 AM
See also Tips and Tricks April 2010.

codydobranski
12-13-2014, 01:43 PM
I was under the impression that i would have to press on the collet tight to the bit shank for a solid connection. Am i correct to assume then that i just add my stopper and then just fit the collet down till it is in contact with the stopper? No hard pressing the collet on like they do from factory.

blhutchens
12-13-2014, 01:54 PM
I was under the impression that i would have to press on the collet tight to the bit shank for a solid connection. Am i correct to assume then that i just add my stopper and then just fit the collet down till it is in contact with the stopper? No hard pressing the collet on like they do from factory.

If you have the split collet you won't have to do anything special, just slide em into the collet then chuck up in the spindle.
The CT spindle tightens the collet onto the router bit.

If you are re using the factory pressed on ones you can remove the old bit by heating with a torch (in a vice) and drift punching them out.
You put the new ones in the same way, just have to be careful not to drop the bit or burn yourself.

Brent

SteveNelson46
12-13-2014, 01:55 PM
Carvewright presses on the adapters on their solid carbide bits. If you are using a bit that has a steel shank like most of the decorative bits from Carvewright, the slip-on split collet seems to work okay.

blhutchens
12-13-2014, 02:05 PM
CW does not advocate using a split collet on the solid carbide bits.
I have done it and it does not work with their split collets.
I have purchased collet from other venders that work well and hold the bits.
I also have a couple of ER11 adapters that work well.

Brent