PDA

View Full Version : Shifting to the top?

cestout
12-09-2014, 04:21 PM
My C machine, 502 hrs, is shifting to the top, keyboard side like a dull bit would do but the bit is new, the belt is tight enough to twang, I inspected and blew out the Y encoder. It seems ok on very shallow cuts. Any Ideas? I was planning on two machines to get my Christmas stuff done.
Clint

unitedcases
12-09-2014, 06:54 PM
My C machine, 502 hrs, is shifting to the top, keyboard side like a dull bit would do but the bit is new, the belt is tight enough to twang, I inspected and blew out the Y encoder. It seems ok on very shallow cuts. Any Ideas? I was planning on two machines to get my Christmas stuff done.
Clint
Could the disc inside the encoder be slipping? I have had that happen.

rmock
12-09-2014, 07:03 PM
I had this happen before, changed out y bearings and gear, I believe I had a worn tooth on the gear. also check your belt for any damage or fray .

cestout
12-10-2014, 05:50 PM
Seems to be fixed. I did a test carved of a round end rectangular pocket .25 deep in a small piece of pine at Normal (for more load) and that worked. Now I am carving from the other end of the board that screwed up last and it is going good. To cover all bases, I put a small drop of super glue at the hub of the encoder ring, replaced the Y gear bearings, and, because they felt grainy with no load, I lubed the Y and Z rollers.
Thanks
Clint

AlBCuttnWud
04-18-2015, 03:46 PM
Seems to be fixed. I did a test carved of a round end rectangular pocket .25 deep in a small piece of pine at Normal (for more load) and that worked. Now I am carving from the other end of the board that screwed up last and it is going good. To cover all bases, I put a small drop of super glue at the hub of the encoder ring, replaced the Y gear bearings, and, because they felt grainy with no load, I lubed the Y and Z rollers.
Thanks
Clint

By chance do you have a pic of where you put the glue at the hub of the encoder ring?