PDA

View Full Version : deep carve with quick change chuck?

dickcash
12-07-2014, 07:27 PM
Has anyone tried deep carving with a quick change chuck?

any issues?

with carvewright's bits or from elsewhere?

bergerud
12-07-2014, 08:05 PM
The deep carving bits are much harder to hold. The vibration makes the bits slip. I would glue the bits into the adapters with red Loctite. (Make sure the bit height is adjusted to clear the bit plate.) Good luck. It could be an expensive experiment!

dehrlich
12-07-2014, 09:01 PM
The deep carving bits are much harder to hold. The vibration makes the bits slip. I would glue the bits into the adapters with red Loctite. (Make sure the bit height is adjusted to clear the bit plate.) Good luck. It could be an expensive experiment!

Agreed. Time to buy a Rock chuck, or get the Carve tite. I started with a QC ... you don't have to oil the adapters, much less vibration, better quality, and the reduction in noise is worth it if nothing else. Trust me, it's worth the money.

dickcash
12-08-2014, 01:07 PM
Thanks for the input guys but I was hoping to hear from someone who has actually tried it.

CW-HAL9000
12-08-2014, 10:43 PM
I don't think anyone wants to waste a really expensive bit.

dickcash
12-09-2014, 05:09 AM
Of course, no one would want to waste an expensive bit. I did not ask that. I was hoping to hear from, someone who has actually tried it. If you have tried it please let me know. If you have not tried it you do not have the info I am seeking. I am seeking first hand experience. That is why my posting question is specific.

Thank you for the cautions but that is not what this thread is about at all. I am not seeking information on the benefits of alternate chucks. Plenty of people on here report breaking expensive bits with Rock Chucks and Carvetites. And plenty of people also know the bits don't need to be expensive unless bought from LHR. Unless you know what I am doing with the machine you would not know if your advice is related at all to my purposes. FYI, the cautionary advice is irrelevant to my posting question and my purposes. That's why my posted question is specific. I did not want to waste anyone's time re-stating the obvious cautions and info available elsewhere here.

Thank you all for your attempts at being helpful, but please only post if you can answer the posted question.

The posted question is specific:

Has anyone tried deep carving with a quick change chuck?

If there are no replies that would be more informative for my purposes than replies off topic, Thanx.

CW-HAL9000
12-09-2014, 10:11 AM
http://youtu.be/szRQurfpJPw?t=1m52s

Well, Excuuuuuuuussseeee Me! LOL

dickcash
12-09-2014, 10:15 AM
Love it. No worries