PDA

View Full Version : Center on board question.

hemisent
12-07-2014, 04:42 PM
After making a successful test carve on pine with my new machine last weekend I prepped a piece of Red Oak to the exact same dimensions (6x12 carve on a 6x20 board) as the pine run thru. The only difference from then to now is I set the carve quality to best.
The machine went through the startup procedure and when directed I entered "Center on Board".
The carve proceeded normally but when I removed the workpiece I found the carve itself was offset about 1.5 inches to one side. I was still able to trim off the excess as intended so I'm not complaining but wondering why the offset.
Very, very satisfied now that the machine is operational. Still has a bit low head pressure and I need to contact LHR but all else is good.

blhutchens
12-07-2014, 05:31 PM
Are you using masking tape on the bottom of the board on the keypad side?
It sounds like the board is slipping causing tracking to be off.

Brent

bergerud
12-07-2014, 05:48 PM
Are you sure you did not play with the board size in Designer or move the pattern on the Designer board? The machine sees the Designer board itself as the "pattern" and would center that on the real board.

hemisent
12-09-2014, 07:05 AM
I used green masking tape on the bottom of the runners...same as the test panel. I used 1/2" Oak with 1/4" runners attached to the bottom to raise it up to 3/4" height.
The only change I made was to the carve quality. To be honest, I had too much grief getting the machine working I didn't want to mess with anything. The actual carve, both test and real turned out better than I had expected.

DickB
12-09-2014, 09:20 AM
Post your mpc please.

CarverJerry
12-09-2014, 10:10 AM
Which direction was it off, X or Y?

hemisent
12-09-2014, 10:15 PM
Forgive my ignorance but the carve was off center length wise. It was centered perfectly on the 6" width of the board. Don't know which axis that would be considered.

lynnfrwd
12-09-2014, 10:30 PM
Width is y. Length is x and bit going up and down is z.