PDA

View Full Version : Suggestions Foe Letter Painting

smurfjeep
12-07-2014, 11:30 AM
Good Sunday,

I am working on a few projects, question I have is....

What is a good way to have the Centerline carved letters painted black without much cleanup or timely painting?

In the picture attached, I tried painting the letters with spray paint, then sand the raised surface. Problem was that the pain bled into the grains and sanding took way much off the wood that the letter carving begins to lose some detail.

Can I treat the wood first before spraying with Black paint to avoid the excessive sanding?

What Ideas do you guys use?

thanks for sharing,

Woody

fwharris
12-07-2014, 11:42 AM
If staining do that first and then use a couple of light coats of lacquer to seal the wood and end grains before painting.

myshop1044
12-07-2014, 01:50 PM
I like to paint the centerline text with small amount of sealer just in the text, then sand off the excess , then I come( or rather my wife) comes back with black
high gloss paint and again sand off the top to get a sharp text. Then you can stain the rest of the board being careful around the text.
This will keep the paint from bleeding into the edges of the wood such as cypress or cheap pine etc.
Perry B.

DickB
12-07-2014, 02:59 PM
Use stencil ink instead of paint.

zan29
12-07-2014, 04:26 PM
If you stain it, the centerline text will automatically become darker.

want2b
12-07-2014, 04:34 PM
Somebody else posted covering the board with shelf paper, trimming the edges and then carving. I tried it and after the carve sprayed sealer then my black paint in the centerline. Peeled off the paper, did a light wipe with goof-off on the bare wood in case any glue remained, sealed again before finally painting the flat area with a foam roller. Have only done one but it worked. Bleeding wasn't a problem, no taping or sanding after the carve. If you wanted a natural finish I would think staining would'nt be a problem and the finish coat would be good to protect everything.
Luck,
Rick H

CW-HAL9000
12-07-2014, 06:13 PM
I use the shelf paper, works great.

xchief807
12-11-2014, 07:45 AM
The shelf paper doesn't gum up the bit while its carving? and do you cover the whole piece with the paper or just the area where the text is going.

CNC Carver
12-11-2014, 08:53 AM
Agree Shelf paper works great

xchief807
12-11-2014, 09:30 AM
But does it gum up the carving bit? and do you cover the whole board or just the area where the text is.

CNC Carver
12-11-2014, 09:45 AM
Does not gum up bit. Cover wide enough area around where you want to pant. If hand painting you will need less area covered than if spray painting area.

xchief807
12-11-2014, 10:32 AM
Ok thanks I will give it a try