PDA

View Full Version : Microsoft Publisher 2000

Buzzin
03-02-2007, 10:27 PM
Has anyone tried using Microsoft Publisher? Will it work or is Corell the only publishing program that works? Can it inport .pub files?
Thanks
Greg

CallNeg151
03-02-2007, 11:41 PM
Has anyone tried using Microsoft Publisher? Will it work or is Corell the only publishing program that works? Can it inport .pub files?
Thanks
Greg

Publisher is really a desktop publishing program, not an image/art program. It is mainly for setting up text documents with other elements. Corell Draw/Adobe Illustrator/Xara Extreme are all vector illustration programs. Their purpose is to create graphic images, not set up text documents. Microsoft publisher is the only thing that takes .pub documents that I know of.

Although publisher can save as a .png file, which is the import format that will give you the best results in Designer, in general, it does not have the features that you will need to create work of much sophistication. If you feel you absolutely must use publisher, save your document as a .png file, and import the document into Designer.

Buzzin
03-03-2007, 09:11 AM
Thanks, I guess I'll be getting some new software then.
Greg

Woodpecker
03-03-2007, 09:51 AM
I have tried the Windows office word and tried to download a picture from the clip art and it worked. I will prefer a better quality of the picture if one is to be found. I am also looking for dragons for carving fun. I have also tried taking digital photos of some things if the photo is very complicated the C/W tries to pick up every detail. I have taken this problem to the photo program and am learning how to use the eye dropper and delete portions of photos. I can only hope to learn all of these new ways to play.

CallNeg151
03-04-2007, 01:32 AM
I have tried the Windows office word and tried to download a picture from the clip art and it worked. I will prefer a better quality of the picture if one is to be found. I am also looking for dragons for carving fun. I have also tried taking digital photos of some things if the photo is very complicated the C/W tries to pick up every detail. I have taken this problem to the photo program and am learning how to use the eye dropper and delete portions of photos. I can only hope to learn all of these new ways to play.

Converting photos into carving is a bit of an art form that all of us are playing with. The main thing to remember is that the lightness and darkness of a photograph create represent the lightness and darkness of objects in the photograph, while in an imported drawing, they represent the height of the carving (pure black is highest, pure white lowest). For this reason, most photographs do not carve very well in wood, so you ultimately end up doing massive editing to achieve proper death. Another possibility, if you carve it into transluscent plastic and then backlight it, you will get very good results (the deepest carving will let the most light through, while the thickest, the least). This is what the sample in the plastic photo sample in the gallery does.