PDA

View Full Version : Ran across a new source for bits

CW-HAL9000
12-04-2014, 07:54 PM
I ran across a new source for bits, if any one tries one let us know how it works. I usually buy from ebay and press them into carvetight adapters myself. Funny an ad for these popped up on an unrelated web page I was looking at. I don't need any now but the price is decent and the coating seems interesting.

http://tts-products.com/index.php/amana-tool-zrn-coated-carving-flat-bottom-bit-46290.html

widget223
12-04-2014, 08:46 PM
Very timely for me since I am looking for some bits. I do not see one here that matches what I have. The one your link points to is 2 inches in length mine is 2 1/2". My cutting area is 1" the one listed is 5/16". The chart has bits that fit some of the dimensions but not all. How critical is the length? Can I use a 3" bit in place of a 2 1/2"? I read on another thread that one needs to measure the shank protrusion. Is the critical measurement above or below the adapter?

Thanks

bjbethke
12-04-2014, 09:49 PM
I ran across a new source for bits, if any one tries one let us know how it works. I usually buy from ebay and press them into carvetight adapters myself. Funny an ad for these popped up on an unrelated web page I was looking at. I don't need any now but the price is decent and the coating seems interesting.

http://tts-products.com/index.php/amana-tool-zrn-coated-carving-flat-bottom-bit-46290.html

It doesn't say what the bits are made from.
Are these Steel or Carbide bits?
It looks like the “B” length is 5/16 inch.

They should work with 1/2 inch stock? Steel won't last as long.

bergerud
12-05-2014, 12:28 AM
These are high quality carbide bits. I have a few of these. I bought them from

http://www.toolstoday.com/p-6225-solid-carbide-cnc-2d-and-3d-carving-tapered-ball-nose-conical-ball-flat-bottom-end-mill-zrn-coated-router-bits.aspx?variantids=11609,0&keywords=46280

zan29
12-05-2014, 03:12 AM
I also order from Toolstoday and like Bergerud says, they are very high quality bits and for Canadians, the shipping cost is only 9.95$.

Alan Malmstrom
12-05-2014, 08:39 AM
Your link is to a flat bottom bit but you would want the ball nose for carving, which is more expensive.

widget223
12-05-2014, 07:58 PM
Decided to go with Amazon. Same price as carvewright but free shipping. The e-bay one is likely a cheaper way to go but I can use another adapter.

http://www.amazon.com/CarveWright-BCR062P-16-Inch-Carving-CarveTight/dp/B0044BCKJU/

CNC Carver
12-05-2014, 09:25 PM
That seems crazy they can offer parts on Amazon with free shipping but charge any order from them 12-24 shipping.

bergerud
12-05-2014, 11:40 PM
If one buys carbide bits with 1/4" shanks, one has to either use the ER11M adapter:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-1pcs-1-2-ER11-28L-Straight-collet-chuck-and-3pcs-ER11-collet-1-4-3-16and1-8-/281142871145?pt=BI_Tool_Work_Holding&hash=item41756bc469

or learn how to take the CT adapters on and off. See my post:

http://forum.carvewright.com/showthread.php?24600-CT-Adapters-Move-Easily-with-Heat&p=217273#post217273

Using the carbide bits in the split adapters is too risky.

smurfjeep
12-06-2014, 05:16 AM
Is there anyway to sharpen your CW bits, like you could a drill bit? I see people post other bits from other manufactures, is there an inherent problem with the CW bits or is it just expensive?

zan29
12-06-2014, 06:44 AM
If I wouldn't live right across a US border, my shipping cost from CW would be 45$, the price of one bit. I can imagine how frustrating it must be for other Canadians that are not so lucky. I offered Cw to sell parts here in Canada but never got an answer. They're missing out on a huge market.

That seems crazy they can offer parts on Amazon with free shipping but charge any order from them 12-24 shipping.

DickB
12-06-2014, 09:56 AM
Amazon has a whole, crazy shipping infrastructure where they have minimized costs. Too big for a small firm to manage. BTW, in my experience it usually works, but not always. We have had a few issues with missed or very much delayed shipments from Amazon.

CW-HAL9000
12-06-2014, 11:08 AM
There is one guy here on the forum that offers to sharpen bits but he has like a 5 bit minimum and the price is not that great. You can search the forum for him. For the most part they are not sharpened. I only buy bits from other than CW because their price is high and more importantly their shipping is way too high. Also their customer service leaves a lot to be desired. Connie is good but the rest of the company seems to not care. You can ship a Bit with tracking for less than $3 with the postal service yet CW charges $12. A priority mail envelope is only $5.95. Even with a 25% profit added to these costs it is still well below $12.00 which is the minimum shipping cost for LHR. I know this because I sell on etsy and amazon and I don't even use amazons fullfillment program I ship the items myself and so I still am able to offer free shipping and incorporate the cost into what I charge for the item.

lynnfrwd
12-06-2014, 01:40 PM
Kevin did a YouTube video on sharpening them.

edsingletary
12-06-2014, 07:44 PM
Just ordered 2 bits from Amazon and free shipping and 2 day shipping at that. I have been waiting a week for a power supply, a week is a long time this time of year to be out of business. Wish Amazon had all the parts.

papawbummie
12-07-2014, 09:10 AM
Does Carvewright have a two inch cutting bit so as to use a cut path for boards thicker than a inch+ Thank Bert

bergerud
12-07-2014, 10:55 AM
No, only deep carving bits.

unitedcases
12-07-2014, 11:08 AM
There is one guy here on the forum that offers to sharpen bits but he has like a 5 bit minimum and the price is not that great. You can search the forum for him. For the most part they are not sharpened. I only buy bits from other than CW because their price is high and more importantly their shipping is way too high. Also their customer service leaves a lot to be desired. Connie is good but the rest of the company seems to not care. You can ship a Bit with tracking for less than $3 with the postal service yet CW charges $12. A priority mail envelope is only $5.95. Even with a 25% profit added to these costs it is still well below $12.00 which is the minimum shipping cost for LHR. I know this because I sell on etsy and amazon and I don't even use amazons fullfillment program I ship the items myself and so I still am able to offer free shipping and incorporate the cost into what I charge for the item.
Lovejoys. I contacted him the other day and have heard nothing back. When you have a stockpile of bits it sucks to not have anything to do with them.

widget223
12-09-2014, 06:04 AM
Since I just received my new bits I Just received an e- mail from carvewright. 20 % off Sale on bits. They did the same thing after I bought the carve tight spindle. Way to through salt in the wound!

CW-HAL9000
12-09-2014, 10:13 AM
Since I just received my new bits I Just received an e- mail from carvewright. 20 % off Sale on bits. They did the same thing after I bought the carve tight spindle. Way to through salt in the wound!

Let us know when you buy 3.0 ! LOL , Sorry had to do it.

widget223
12-09-2014, 02:47 PM
Let us know when you buy 3.0 ! LOL , Sorry had to do it.

I'm about ready to by some traction belts.......................:shock:

CNC Carver
12-09-2014, 02:49 PM
Great I'll watch for them to be on sale in a week or so! LOL Hopefully LHR is listening and they go on sale before you buy them.

edsingletary
12-09-2014, 05:57 PM
By the time you pay for shipping and waiting you are ahead. Told my power supply would ship out yesterday and get an e-mail it just shipped today Christmas and down for almost 2 weeks, ridiculous.

lynnfrwd
12-09-2014, 06:02 PM
By the time you pay for shipping and waiting you are ahead. Told my power supply would ship out yesterday and get an e-mail it just shipped today Christmas and down for almost 2 weeks, ridiculous.

The part shipped on 12/8. The order was updated today on the 9th.

edsingletary
12-09-2014, 06:05 PM
Thank you Connie for the clarification, it was ordered on the 1St.

lynnfrwd
12-09-2014, 06:44 PM
I know. I am sorry. Had ppl filling in while I was out sick. Had to grab repair techs to work the phones and take orders. We have to physically move order status and my replacement didn't remember this step, so your order was "stuck" in wrong status.

edsingletary
12-09-2014, 07:08 PM
What is your position witj LHR Connie, sounds like if one person leaves might as well shut down operations. I am not a complainer by nature, i am really patient, i have run my own business 40 years, i know all the problems between personnel and customers. Iv heard it all i think. I also know poor customer service will kill you. I buy a bunch from Amazon, not the cheapest but the quickest and reliable. LHR needs to model that in service. You provide excellent service you can charge a bit more and still make customers happy through Service Excellence. Of course this is none of my business so i will shut up. Thanks for your help though.

lynnfrwd
12-09-2014, 07:33 PM
LHR and amazon are apples and oranges, so there is no way we can match their shipping or business model. We made a human error and when notified, expedited your shipping, so I don't see how this reflects poor customer service.

edsingletary
12-09-2014, 07:55 PM
Anytime there is a breakdown in the chain it automatically causes poor service. Thats just the way it is in business. Im happy, my order is on the way, thank you.

lynnfrwd
12-11-2014, 11:07 AM

I guess someone here saw that you recently bought a pattern....