PDA

View Full Version : New machine problem with y axis stall

hemisent
11-29-2014, 02:24 PM
I thought I'd start a new thread as that way it's easier to keep track of..hope that's ok.

After getting the new machine to go through the board measuring sequence it requested the bit. The motor moved horizontally back and forth and went far right to the flip-out bit plate. I noticed three clicks then the bit went down and kissed the plate. First, I read somewhere here that three clicks might mean stripped gears????

The cutting motor then moved back and stopped in the middle. I got a "Slipped-Check Y Belt" message.
not knowing what to do I hit Enter om the keypad and got:

Y Axis Stall
ERR E05-0314

Tried this whole procedure three times and no change.

Per reading other posts I unplugged the machine and moved the motor left/right and up/down. No binding was noticed. This is a new machine with zero time so it cannot be debris jamming things up.

Went to CW troubleshooting giude which references "see Y axis stall " document. I could find no document with that title.

Any help would be grearly appreciated. Looks like my hopes of getting this thing up and running this weekend are slipping away.

bergerud
11-29-2014, 02:36 PM
Check how loose the y belt is. If it is loose, there is a belt tensoner on the right end of the belt. A small Philips screw on top may have to be loosened and re-tightened. (A spring automatically tightens the belt when the screw is loosened. The screw has to re-tightened or the belt will slip when the belt gets driven.)

want2b
11-29-2014, 06:26 PM
Had a simliar problem recently after doing a rebuild, got the same messages. Bergerud pointed me in the same direction which I found the problem and fixed. Link below is the thread from my problem. Guess my only question is that you mention getting a 'new' machine. Would contact LHR first before I spent a lot of time/effort/$ correcting the problem.
http://forum.carvewright.com/showthread.php?26559-Slipped

Good luck,
Rick H.

hemisent
11-29-2014, 09:29 PM
Thank you both. Just checked out the video on checking belt tension and will give it a shot in the morning.

Geez do I have a lot to learn.

Digitalwoodshop
11-30-2014, 11:32 AM
It my opinion the 3 clicks are the servo motor splines slipping on the big plastic gear. Normally I would suggest checking the 2 Y Gearbox Bearings but unless you have over 300 hours on your cut motor then they should be good... Unless you have been doing some hard work with the machine like litho's and lots of oak?

So lets say the July 2014 machine does not have that many hours on it... then I would re adjust the mesh of the servo motor and the big plastic gear... This is the first time I have suggested this in a post... Since the 2 screws that hold the gearbox FRAME to the servo motor are OVAL. This lets you adjust how tight the mesh is between the shaft and the gear. I believe in your case, it needs to be adjusted tighter....

AL

bergerud
11-30-2014, 11:57 AM
I believe that the new gearbox castings do not have the oblong holes to adjust the gear clearance.

(I do not have one myself but I remember seeing some pictures here on the forum while I was designing the plastic gearbox awhile back.)

Digitalwoodshop
11-30-2014, 01:35 PM
I believe that the new gearbox castings do not have the oblong holes to adjust the gear clearance.

(I do not have one myself but I remember seeing some pictures here on the forum while I was designing the plastic gearbox awhile back.)

Good to know.... Since it is a newer machine than it is likely not adjustable....

So back to looking for other ideas?

AL

hemisent
11-30-2014, 02:29 PM
SUCCESS! Following the instructions on the video for y belt tightening i checked the tension and it seemed plenty tight. I loosened the retraining screw and checked the spring action which seemed ok. Figuring I had nothing to lose at this point I inserted a flat blade screwdriver
under the tensioner and put a bit more pressure on the belt and locked it in.
Went through the entire startup sequence again with no errors and the machine fired up instantly.
We'LL see how the test carve turns out.

Thanks to all...beginning to think i have a real lemon here...who knows.