PDA

View Full Version : Mac OS requirements for Designer 2 & 3?????

dickcash
11-29-2014, 06:54 AM
Finally decided to buy Designer 3. But I can't use it. (yet???)

According to Carvewright the minimum requirement for Mac is OS 10.3.

I have 10.5.8. Neither Designer 2 0R 3 will work. System says the program will not operate on this architecture.
Anyone else have Designer 3 working on 10.5.8 or earlier.
This is not a Maverick or Yosemite issue. I have another Mac with 10.6 on it. The program works on it but I don't want to use that computer. I also do not want to upgrade the OS from 10.5.8 to 10.6 for a hundred other program issues.

Has this been addressed previously? Thanx for any and all insight.

PSQRD
11-29-2014, 08:01 AM
I know it's not a Maverick or Yosemite issue, worth checking your X11 version etc. Google "X Quartz" / "X11" and try redownloading and installing the program. May or may not be a viable solution. Also, what are you running into when you try to open or install that it doesn't work, like specifics does it even try and get into the program or won't even open at all? I hope this helps.
Paul

SteveEJ
11-29-2014, 08:22 AM
Read these threads completely as they should answer your issue:

http://forum.carvewright.com/showthread.php?24574-FIX-for-Designer-on-MAVERICK-OS-for-MAC-with-SLUGGISH-FONT-ISSUE&highlight=Yosemite

and:

http://forum.carvewright.com/showthread.php?26358-Problems-with-OS-X-Yosemite-Public-Beta&highlight=Yosemite

Hope this helps.

dickcash
11-29-2014, 08:47 AM
I know it's not a Maverick or Yosemite issue, worth checking your X11 version etc. Google "X Quartz" / "X11" and try redownloading and installing the program. May or may not be a viable solution. Also, what are you running into when you try to open or install that it doesn't work, like specifics does it even try and get into the program or won't even open at all? I hope this helps.
Paul

Thanx, the issue is when the downloaded dmg file is opened the Designer icon has a circle with a slash. If you click it the message says that the program will not work on this architecture.
I get this message on occasion when trying to load newer programs. The OS is old and the machine is one of the last of the Macs before intel chips. This is a feature for me but some newer programs don't include the backward compatibility. Designer 1 works but 2 and 3 don't.
Before purchasing Designer 3 I checked multiple times and places to be sure it would work and always found the same info.
"Minimum requirement for Mac is OS 10.3"
That doesn't seem to be true.
Does anybody have an old Mac they could test this on?

dickcash
11-29-2014, 08:54 AM
Read these threads completely as they should answer your issue:

http://forum.carvewright.com/showthread.php?24574-FIX-for-Designer-on-MAVERICK-OS-for-MAC-with-SLUGGISH-FONT-ISSUE&highlight=Yosemite

and:

http://forum.carvewright.com/showthread.php?26358-Problems-with-OS-X-Yosemite-Public-Beta&highlight=Yosemite

Hope this helps.

Thanx for the effort but I have completely read those threads before and they are entirely unrelated to this issue.

I don't have Yosemite(10.10), or Maverick(10.9), or Mountain Lion (10.8), or Lion (10.7), or Snow Leopard (10.6).

I have Leopard 10.5.8.

It is an old OS on an old machine that has features and abilities no Mac or PC have matched since.

I was pleasantly surprised to read that the minimum OS needed was 10.3 and very unpleasantly surprised to fin that may not be true.

Thanx to all for any ideas or experience with this specific issue.

The issue is probably not fixable except that Carvewright should fix the information error and refund me.

dickcash
11-29-2014, 10:28 AM
Here is the dead end:

SteveEJ
11-29-2014, 08:45 PM
Well, I tried.. Sorry but I didn't realize you had a PowerPC version. I 'think' that I read that the PowerPC support was dropped with Version 2 of designer. Not totally sure though. I would suggest you call LHR monday to see what they say.

Asking because I don't know but will your mac run a Windows emulator such as Parallels? If so that may be a work around.

dickcash
11-30-2014, 04:58 AM
Thanks Steve,

Yes it is a PowerPc Mac. I have searched for PowerPc references but have found no mention of Designer 2 OR 3 needing the Intel based versions.

Can anyone link me to any info about Designer 2 or 3 NOT operating on PowerPC Macs?

This is the likely problem. Many programs no longer include function in the PowerPC environment. But that is one of the reasons I am keeping it. Many legacy programs and functions that can't be replicated with the "new and improved"versions.

I think LHR needs to modify their system requirements to say "minimum 10.6 with Intel based Mac".

Hopefully I am wrong and I am missing something that will let me use it with 10.3 or later as is clearly advertised.

The machine will run an emulator but thats not a solution for me.

Thanx to all

dickcash
11-30-2014, 06:08 AM
Here is a quote from LHR referring to Designer and it's Mac compatibility:

"It is a Universal binary that runs natively on both PowerPC and Intel Macs."

Is this true LHR? Is Designer 2 and/or 3 a Universal binary that runs natively on both PowerPC and Intel Macs. OR... was that only true for the free version?

(im)Patiently waiting for Monday morning enlightenment.

cheers

dickcash
11-30-2014, 06:42 AM
Cut and Pasted from FAQ's on current website:

What are the computer system requirements for the software?
Windows Operating System:

Microsoft Windows XP with Service Pack 2, Windows Vista, Windows 7 or Windows 8
512 MB of RAM for XP
1GB of RAM for Vista, Windows 7 or 8
75MB of available hard‐disk space
CD‐ROM compatible drive (With active internet connection)
Internet access for registration and updates
Graphics card supporting OpenGL 1.2 with 256 MB of Video RAM or VRAM (for Designer Basic)
Graphics card supporting OpenGL 2.1 with 256 MB of Video RAM or VRAM (for Designer 2.0)
1.2Ghz Dual Core Processor

Macintosh Operating System:

Mac OS X version 10.3 or later
Mac X11 Windowing System (removed from recent Mac OS Mountain Lion – downloadable here: http://support.apple.com/kb/ht5293)
512MB of RAM
75MB of available hard‐disk space
CD‐ROM compatible drive (With active internet connection)
Internet access for registration and updates

AND...

Is the software compatible with both Windows and Mac operating systems?
The software is available for Windows and Macintosh operating systems. Specifically the software will run best on Windows XP, Windows Vista, Windows 7, Windows 8, and Mac OS X version 10.3 or higher.

dickcash
11-30-2014, 09:48 AM
HERE IT IS FOLKS,

Buried in the changelog between 2.0000 and 2.001:

01 July 2013 -- Differences between versions 2.001 and 2.000
* Added optional check for updates automatically.
Enabled in installer or on Help menu.
* Warn when loading a project that uses a font not installed.
Also indicate in the text dialog, when next opened,
what font the system will use as a substitute.
* Fixed potential crash on close due to message being logged after close.
* Fixed flash dialog window controls off top / bottom of screen sometimes.
* Fixed crash when doing Sweep with Rails for certain types of rail curve.
* New and improved installer (for Windows)
* Removed suport for the Power PC architecture (Mac OSX)
* Added File->Open (without preview) to restore the previous
native dialog with navigation. The preview dialog is now
File->OpenWithPreview.
* Added custom feather to feather drop-down.
* Added lithopane viewer.
* Added new Icon for desktop shortcut.

Guess I'll be getting an apology and refund offer on Monday. Too bad they forgot to make the sales information accurate.

CW-HAL9000
11-30-2014, 11:10 AM
I would be surprised if they gave you a refund but who knows?

PSQRD
11-30-2014, 03:00 PM
Good luck!

Ducky63
11-30-2014, 06:25 PM
I have a question about Designer 2 or 3. I'm thinking about getting a new tablet so I would like to know which one is better to run either designer on. My computers are both HP's but I do have an Apple IPhone. Only one computer is signed in with CarveWright so I do have another one I can put it on. I'll be watching for an answer. Thank You for your help on this!!!! Ducky63

PSQRD
12-01-2014, 05:56 PM
I've been working toward a buying a PC for the main reason of the software running better. I LOVE my Mac but I've had constant small issues and workarounds with it utilizing Designer. I'd imagine same would be true for a tablet if it would even work. Just my two cents.

SteveEJ
12-03-2014, 05:52 AM
I use Parallels on my Mac and run the Windows version of Designer with no problems. I run the Mac version but the Windows version is more familiar to me and seems to be smoother.

lynnfrwd
09-22-2015, 05:27 PM
Three things to remember about Designer on a MAC:

1. It is very important that you install your Designer PRO into your Applications folder; not your desktop.
2. Also remember, Yosemite removed x11, so you have to reinstall it.
3. If you are using Yosemite or Maverick, you need to TURN OFF or PREVENT APP NAP.