PDA

View Full Version : Something new to me.

edsingletary
11-27-2014, 12:22 PM
Power fluctuation, press enter to continue. Never had this one before. Cuts off about 12 times so far and only 54% complete.
Its a long carve, 40" in length and have to sit right here every minute to press Enter.
Is there some sort of power box that is reasonable in price that will prevent this or is there something going on inside, bam there it goes again. Wow always something new at CW.

want2b
11-27-2014, 05:22 PM
Had the same problem a while back. Here's the thread with all the possibilities offered by the pros along with my results.
http://forum.carvewright.com/showthread.php?25685-Power-Fluctuation-message

Good luck
Rick H

zan29
11-27-2014, 07:56 PM
This is what you need, a battery backup or UPS system. I have one of those plugged to my cnc and it stopped the fluctuation problem. Not expensive and worth it.

http://www.staples.com/APC-Back-UPS-ES-550VA-8-Outlet-Power-Saving-UPS/product_733726

edsingletary
11-27-2014, 08:32 PM
Thanks Zan just ordered one from Amazon

unitedcases
11-27-2014, 08:42 PM
Does it help if the power goes out?

zan29
11-28-2014, 05:47 AM
The one here at staples is not strong enough for power outages but only for computers. If you're looking for one to keep you machine running, then the price will change. It's all about how much voltage is required to run your machine and how much your UPS will supply.

Digitalwoodshop
11-28-2014, 01:23 PM
One option for the electronic minded is to get a low voltage relay and small wall wort transformer that you can wire in series into your cover switch wires. You wire it so when the relay is on the contacts are closed and the cover switch is active or closed. You plug this little transformer into a home outlet.

You then use a UPS Power Supply, the kind that can power a computer for a short period of time to plug your machine into.

Now when the power goes out, the relay goes off and opens the cover circuit turning off the cut motor. The UPS keeps the CW computer running and it maintains your project withouit the high current draw of the cut motor.

When power is back, you start again as now the relay is on and the UPS maintained the CW.

AL

unitedcases
11-28-2014, 03:26 PM
You know I don't speak that language AL. I'll just wait til you do it. Because I know you'll post tons of pictures. This one is a little above me.

want2b
11-29-2014, 06:49 PM
I had the same message as I posted earlier, I connected a meter to the same outlet as the carver and didn't see any voltage change when my machine stopped, lights in the area never blinked. I was able to hit enter and continue the carve at first but since mine was a long carve it eventually was down to seconds from pressing Enter to stopping again. That's when I posted and eventually found the problem with Al's help. Guess the real question is it a power company supply problem or is it in the carver.
Good luck ,
Rick H.

edsingletary
11-29-2014, 08:00 PM
Al, i wish i was an electrical genius like so many seem to be on the forum. Im doing good to wire a 120 outlet. Thanks for the exhaustive description
I may give that to my electrician. Thanks for taking the time to help

edsingletary
11-29-2014, 08:08 PM
Zan, got an email and my UPS will arrive monday..hope this will help. CW seems so sensitive with everything.

edsingletary
11-30-2014, 07:29 PM
Tried a carve today, in 9% of the project, i got Power Fluctuation error at least 40 times and reset each time. Finally gave up. Power UPS will be here tomorrow but im afraid there is more to it than that, never had this before, same machine location, same plug same everything. Hoping the backup works, in the middle of several Christmas projects.

CNC Carver
11-30-2014, 08:21 PM
Check for loose parts in power supply.

bergerud
11-30-2014, 08:35 PM
I think you have a very difficult problem to trouble shoot. It could be the power supply: bad solder or bad component. It could be somewhere in the machine: a short or component drawing too much.

Does it happen at random times or it there a pattern? At the beginning or end of a carving pass for instance?

edsingletary
11-30-2014, 08:49 PM
Seems to stop just as the bit gets down in the carve position. Still warranted so i will ship it back if i have to, hate to though, that will kill my Christmas projects

FWMiller
12-01-2014, 01:05 AM
I had the same problem last year. Turned out to be a bad power supply. Replaced the power supply and problem has not been back since.

edsingletary
12-01-2014, 06:12 PM
FW, i called CW office and the tech i spoke to said it is definitely the power supply. I sure hope this type of thing is not typical of the machine, a power supply every 6 months will get over budget real quick, although this is a wwarranty item for me this time. Guess ill lose my virginity and have to take this thing apart, wow you have to be a service tech to be a carver, is this stuff typical of all cnc routers. Looks like there is always something wrong if you just read the forum's comments. Seems so delicate for the type of work it is designed to do, keep the saw dust down, it is a sawdust producing monster. Anyway thanks all on the tips. Maybe i will get back in business soon.
Kinda reminds me of the old Harley Davidson's, buy 2, one to ride and one for parts.