PDA

View Full Version : can't git R done!

towmater
03-02-2007, 07:00 PM
I can't even get her started. The "manual" says that I need to **** the bit flange to load a bit...I can't get it to raise more than an 1/8th of an inch and the bit never fits into the holder. If anyone has any feedback on this simple issue I'd appreciate it. I'm just trying to insert the pre-supplied bit right out of the box.

Do I:

1.) Return it to Sears now...if the manual is so badly written that it is not clear what the red lines on the flange are nor how to raise the flange, then the rest of the process must be just as bad.

2.) Use vice-grips to squeeze the flange and grip so hard that the flange must either raise or break....then return it to Sears.

3.) Do something obvious that I'm missing 'cause I'm a bonehead.

rjp736
03-02-2007, 07:06 PM
My flange does not move a heck of a lot either. Pull up as far as you can get it, push the bit in (might have to rotate it) and push down on the flange. I thought mine was screwed up too but once you get the feel for it.....piece of cake. Hope this helps.

Cliff
03-02-2007, 07:08 PM
Search the forum.

The chuck gets stuck and take awhile to loosen up after storage but it a simple/not so simple process. Getting the outter ring to rotate slightly to the left while lifting may help, I've had to use a flat wrench at the top of the chuck to keep the inside from moving while turning the outer collar.

benluz
03-02-2007, 07:36 PM
My flange does not move a heck of a lot either. Pull up as far as you can get it, push the bit in (might have to rotate it) and push down on the flange. I thought mine was screwed up too but once you get the feel for it.....piece of cake. Hope this helps.

Hello you nailed it...just push up and rotate it will pop in ,on mine once I remove a bit with the tool it stays cocked , to install you do the same thing but no need to hold it up on flange.if you rotate with red line facing you then the wing of the bit goes a little to the left ,then push up and rotate to the right and it pop right in...I think think , it second nature to me now ,works really well.'
Ben

pkunk
03-02-2007, 08:45 PM
#3. Have some perserverance.:) Wiggle 'em a little, they'll go together.

DAT60A3
03-02-2007, 10:52 PM
I still haven't been able to get my bit adapter in. I have been working in it for several days, now. I did talk to CW today and they said to liberally apply 3-in-1 oil and not WD-40 (I used Kroil). WD-40 has a detergent or such that interferes with the freeing up of the parts. I now need to get some 3-in-1. If that doesn't work, I will be taking a trip to Pasadena to get them to look at it.

sktools150
03-03-2007, 12:14 AM
I was able to load the bit adapter for a long time with no problems. Then I went to a different bit and adapter, couldn't get it to load for anything. The bit portion protruding from the end that goes into the chuck look the same as my other bits. However, on measuring it against a working-loadable one I found it was a shade to high. Pulled the bit back into the adapter a hair and no trouble in loading it from then on. Give it a try.

Julie Coffey
03-03-2007, 11:16 AM
Some folks had no trouble at all- my husband like Pkunk said had to 'wiggle' it a bit. But yes now its no longer an issue.

It can be a bit daunting(no pun intended) when one of what appears to be the simplest things during set up is difficult. Take a deep breath and go back till ya get it. If you get frustrated take some time, get a cup of coffee, walk around the block hug your child or play fetch with your dog then come back to it.

J

pine acres woodshop
03-03-2007, 11:46 AM
3 in 1 thats the ticket! I had the same issue in the begining, now after every use I coat the bit adapter with a light coat of 3 in 1 oil, then I put some on my pinky with the chuck cocked I rub the oil up inside and presto works like a charm. Good luck.

Mark

The Bard
03-03-2007, 03:29 PM
I hear yelling at a CW technician or sales girl over the phone helps.

Jsolomito
03-03-2007, 06:49 PM
Had the same problem. Collar just wouldn't go up. Tried 1 hand. Tried two hands. Tried the bit removal tool, which was really kind of stupid since there was no bit to remove. Never having used a chuck like this before it does make you feel kind of silly that you can't even mount the bit. Then I accidentally rotated the collar a little as I was pushing it up and "pop" it cocked with minimal effort and has been fine since.
You know, I think that part of the "problem" with this machine is that it is so different from anything that many of us have used before. I've been doing woodworking as a hobby in one form or another for almost 40 years, and have used most types of hand and power tools. Obviously there are differences in brands and models but if you are familiar with one hand plane or table saw you can probably work your way through issues with another brand or model. This machine though is an entirely different species and requires the same type of learning curve as we had the first time we picked up a router. (Remember the very first time you tried to make a dovetail joint?)
BTW, the 3 in 1 oil tip is mentioned in the owners manual. I also give the bit adaptor a light coat every time I mount it.

Joe

Ron Baird
03-03-2007, 09:16 PM
I have had my m/c for over a year and it has had several adapters on it as it has been in for many problems ( keep in mind that it is a beta m/c and because of the beta m/cs you will not experience many of these problems). All the adapter chucks I have had have worked slightly differently and the one currently on my m/c works the best of any of them but is still not perfect. to **** the chuck you have to lift on the outer ring and it has to move about an 1/8th of an inch to the left at the top of it's travel (also about 1/8") they do not always **** (that would be a perfect world) if it does not **** you will have to lift the ring as you insert the next bit. If you can not get the ring to lift at all stick your finger in the cavity where the bit goes and hold the shaft from turning as you rotate the outer ring a bit. Also make sure the chuck is lubricated with a light oil. to **** the chuck must move up in an inverted "J" pattern. If it is cocked you can tell by feeling or looking at the bottom of the chuck, you will see four semi-circled flanges protruding down below the outer ring, if it is flat across the bottom it is not cocked.
If you are having trouble removing a bit from the chuck it is probable the bit adapter that is the cause and the only fix that I know is to change it for a new one. The red lines on the chuck are really only indicators to show if the chuck is cocked but are not really reliable. Hope this helps you.

The Bard
03-03-2007, 11:54 PM
I think the language filter bleeped out your "cocking" usage LOL.