PDA

View Full Version : Can't resolve the problem on this one........need help please

zan29
11-25-2014, 09:45 AM
I have this straight as an arrow piece of maple and I keep getting two messages... "problems with board" and "check tracking roller". Thought maybe the color of the wood wasn't dark enough so I put some tape with no luck. Is the tracking roller the brass sensor with an O'ring?

Any suggestions??

Thanks
Suzanne

fwharris
11-25-2014, 09:50 AM
Yes the tracking roller is the brass roller. I would check the head pressure, look for any nicks/dings on the board edge, cupping or twist in the board, out feed tray not level.

DickB
11-25-2014, 10:04 AM
What is the size of the board?

CNC Carver
11-25-2014, 10:14 AM
Did you also place tape where tracking roller is? That helps tracking roller keep on track. This is an Al trick.

Digitalwoodshop
11-25-2014, 11:19 AM
Suzanne,

Board Thickness? Something less than 3/4 inch can not be held tight enough to the brass roller.

Slippery Maple... It is likely that the Maple is so slippery, the Brass roller is slipping... Like posted above, masking tape...

I would also add 2 additional strips of masking tape one in the center and one on the bit plate side of the under side of the board giving the board more grip to the belts.

I would do a Center on board measurement and watch the machine very close and note what happens as the board gets to the in and out feed metal roller... IF the board is bumping and raising, it could be lifting off the brass roller.

It's all about the brass roller.....

AL

zan29
11-25-2014, 03:23 PM
The board is 14W x 27L, straight, no curves, no nicks ...nothing. I have used tape to help the tracking roller and the thickness is right on 3/4". I'll try with using tape on the other side and the center like Digital said and hopefully it will solve the problem.

cestout
11-25-2014, 04:27 PM
Another trick I use frequently: two 1" wide strips of 1/8" mdf longer than your board. Tape them to the bottom edges of your board. About 3 or 4 in pieces of masking tape I never use the blue) toward each end parallel over the edge and up the side and also one on the flat. This will even allow carving a mildly warped piece.
Clint

dehrlich
11-25-2014, 06:00 PM
I carve hard maple all the time with no problems detecting the edge or anything. I use two strips of masking tape for the tracking roller.

zan29
11-25-2014, 06:39 PM
Thanks for all the great advice as usual......

zan29
11-26-2014, 09:13 AM
I've tried with just regular pine this morning and I'm still getting the same error messages. I ordered a new tracking roller hoping it will solve the problem.

bergerud
11-26-2014, 11:48 AM
If this error occurs when the board sensor is measuring the rear edge of the board, try keeping pressure on the end of the board with your hand. Push on the end as it jockeys back and forth determining the edge. That is what I do with mine when I get that error. (I think it might be an x drive backlash thing.)

Edit: you did check the head pressure...right?

zan29
11-26-2014, 01:26 PM
I also have this habit of putting a bit of pressure when it's measuring and the head pressure it the only thing I haven't checked so thanks Bergerud for reminding me.

Digitalwoodshop
11-26-2014, 02:07 PM
Bergerud makes a good point that I missed... This could actually be a single tooth broken in your X Drive Gears showing up at the Brass Roller....

AL