PDA

View Full Version : wood problem

fyrewulf
11-23-2014, 11:33 AM
help I have a customer order for a sign on a piece of red cedar it has some cracks / fissures in it has anyone dealt with cedar before and what did you use to fill any cracks in it before carving

blhutchens
11-23-2014, 01:20 PM
help I have a customer order for a sign on a piece of red cedar it has some cracks / fissures in it has anyone dealt with cedar before and what did you use to fill any cracks in it before carving

I have used epoxy resin with dye in it.
they sell it at woodcraft and rocker both.
I have also used bondo or the high performance wood filler by minwax. It will also take a stain or dye.
It is a lot easier to work with than the epoxy

Brent

dehrlich
11-23-2014, 01:30 PM
Do you have to use THAT board? If they are small cracks I will generally use some thin CA glue (super glue) to stabilize. Gets all the way through the crack, then fill with epoxy or wood filler. If big cracks use epoxy. If it has those types of cracks it generally because of improper drying methods and it doesn't dry evenly... more cracks will appear over time because the wood is stressed. Use another board if possible. Good luck!

want2b
11-23-2014, 04:11 PM
Do you have to use THAT board? If they are small cracks I will generally use some thin CA glue (super glue) to stabilize. Gets all the way through the crack, then fill with epoxy or wood filler. If big cracks use epoxy. If it has those types of cracks it generally because of improper drying methods and it doesn't dry evenly... more cracks will appear over time because the wood is stressed. Use another board if possible. Good luck!

Agree that it would be better if you could use another board but if not I have had some success using a mix of sawdust/sanding dust with wood glue and using it as a filler. Having built multiple cedar chests I collected the 'dust' and put it in a bag for future use. Like anything else it depends on where the cracks appear. Knots are better filled as mentioned above by CA glue.
Rick H

RogerB
11-23-2014, 07:08 PM
Use sanding dust and epoxy if for out side . Use a air hose and lightly blow epoxy deep into the cracks and add your fill mix on top to sink in as far as it will go. You can use doller store 5 min. epoxy .