PDA

View Full Version : Old Quick Change Bits

Sconi
11-22-2014, 04:14 PM
I have the decorative bit set in the old quick change style, is there any way to remove the collars for us in the carve tight head? Had the set for years and never used it and am wondering if it would be worth replacing it, but have a lot invested in the old set....

Thanks

fwharris
11-22-2014, 04:25 PM
Starting on page 43 http://www.carvewright.com/assets/service/Manuals/CarveWright_manual_A-B_SN.pdf it gives the assembly instructions for the QC adapters. Since the adapters probably have loctite on the set screws you will probably need to heat them up in order to break them loose. You can ether heat them in the oven or with a plumbers torch. I have also had to press the bits out of the adapters. I used my drill press with a bolt that was a bit smaller than the bit diameter. Just make sure you have a rag underneath to catch the bit when it falls out.

Sconi
11-24-2014, 05:12 PM
Thanks! I'll give it a try!

Deolman
11-24-2014, 11:30 PM
I used a heat gun to loosen the loctite on my bit set. An Allen wrench can then remove the set screws. Be careful, the bits can get quite hot. I have used several of the bits in this set in my carvetight chuck with no problems. Also as mentioned in another thread, use additional magnets to the existing magnets in the carrying case to hold the 1/4" shank bits in place.