PDA

View Full Version : Newbie Needs help with a pattern Please

sunmiztres
11-18-2014, 11:11 PM
I am trying to make a Name plate for my daughters teacher who collects cows and I was wanting to add a cow so that it sticks out of the rectangle of the name plate. I have it all setup and was wanting the pattern to be cut out with the cow being cutout also but am having a problem getting the software to do what I want it to do. I see many patterns at the pattern depot that has this but I can not figure out how to. I have included a photo so you can kinda see what I am trying to do. I thought I would need to outline pattern but for some reason the software is not letting me highlight the pattern as a group. If it does not highlight it as a group It will end up counting out the cow that is sticking past the rectangle. I hope I am explaining it so that it isn't too confusing. If you can give me any advice or point me in the right direction I would appreciate it. Thank you

CW-HAL9000
11-18-2014, 11:52 PM
Don't highlight the group. using the carving list on the left only highlight the rectangle and the cow. When the two are highlighted then click on outline patterns. you will get an outline of the two as one outline. Then make it a cut path and set your inset where you want it. I usually set the inset to - 0.125 so that my 1/8 inch bit cuts to the outside of the cut path. I cut my nameplates on either 1/2 inch material or 3/4 so I set my depth of cut per pass at 0.250.

bjbethke
11-19-2014, 04:24 AM
I am trying to make a Name plate for my daughters teacher who collects cows and I was wanting to add a cow so that it sticks out of the rectangle of the name plate. I have it all setup and was wanting the pattern to be cut out with the cow being cutout also but am having a problem getting the software to do what I want it to do. I see many patterns at the pattern depot that has this but I can not figure out how to. I have included a photo so you can kinda see what I am trying to do. I thought I would need to outline pattern but for some reason the software is not letting me highlight the pattern as a group. If it does not highlight it as a group It will end up counting out the cow that is sticking past the rectangle. I hope I am explaining it so that it isn't too confusing. If you can give me any advice or point me in the right direction I would appreciate it. Thank you

I think this is what you are looking for??? Since I own the Cow pattern I also made that in a pattern for you. BJB

sunmiztres
11-19-2014, 08:29 AM
Thank you for your help. On the pattern I added line segments around the name plate and then requested the roundover bit as I was trying to get the rectangle to round over the edges right up to the cow so it would have that finish but when i do that the highlight won't be active to choose. Is this correct? I added the image to show you what I mean. Thank you

sunmiztres
11-19-2014, 08:52 AM
I think this is what you are looking for??? Since I own the Cow pattern I also made that in a pattern for you. BJB THank you for making the mpc. This piece will be going in a base with a pencil holder attached so it can be put on her desk so that is why it was 12" wide by about 6" tall to the top of the cow. I tried to resize but it isn't coming out. IS there a way to put a decorative edge on the piece without messing up the cow?

SteveNelson46
11-19-2014, 10:22 AM
THank you for making the mpc. This piece will be going in a base with a pencil holder attached so it can be put on her desk so that is why it was 12" wide by about 6" tall to the top of the cow. I tried to resize but it isn't coming out. IS there a way to put a decorative edge on the piece without messing up the cow?

Maybe this will help. You should be able to resize the 1.187 version. I placed the pattern of the frame first then placed the cow. Then the heights and depths of each pattern was adjusted so the frame appeared to be behind the cow. With both patterns selected, I selected "Outline Patterns" from the tools menu and made the resulting path a cutout using the cutout tool from the tools menu.

EDIT: I used bjbethke's cow pattern

sunmiztres
11-19-2014, 06:39 PM
Maybe this will help. You should be able to resize the 1.187 version. I placed the pattern of the frame first then placed the cow. Then the heights and depths of each pattern was adjusted so the frame appeared to be behind the cow. With both patterns selected, I selected "Outline Patterns" from the tools menu and made the resulting path a cutout using the cutout tool from the tools menu.

EDIT: I used bjbethke's cow patternTHank you so much BJBETHE for the cow Pattern and the help and thank you Steve for putting it togther for me. I truly appreciate you guys.