PDA

View Full Version : 1.119 Upgrade Available on CD?

LZee
03-02-2007, 07:46 AM
Many of our customers are on dialup service, and the new 1.119 upgrade requires another 3-hour download if you're dialup.

Are these upgrades available through CarveWright on CD?

It'd be *great* if I could tell our dialup folks they could call for a CD with the latest software---they'd probably be okay with a small charge, because with 1.115 running five hours and 1.119 running another two hours...whew!

Linda
Sears Tools

Charles M
03-02-2007, 08:05 AM
Linda,

I don't disagree that a CDROM would be convenient for Dial-Up users (people still access the internet that way?) but I don't understand what you mean about the 5 hours and the 2 hours. Can't you just download the new version as a stand alone?

Windows:
http://www.carvewright.com/downloads/designer_1_119.exe

Mac:
http://www.carvewright.com/downloads/designer_1_119.dmg

pkunk
03-02-2007, 09:45 AM
There're not availale as far as I know. Why don't you offer the CD's at a small charge?

CallNeg151
03-02-2007, 10:14 AM
Many of our customers are on dialup service, and the new 1.119 upgrade requires another 3-hour download if you're dialup.

Are these upgrades available through CarveWright on CD?

It'd be *great* if I could tell our dialup folks they could call for a CD with the latest software---they'd probably be okay with a small charge, because with 1.115 running five hours and 1.119 running another two hours...whew!

Linda
Sears Tools

Actually, I think that units with 1.113 will directly update to 1.119, which is the same 60MB download size, so I'm not sure where the five hours and then two hours comes in.

I agree with you that there should be some sort of alternative to get the software by alternate means, however, requiring Internet updates is certainly not unprecidented. Look at Windows XP itself. The instant you purchased a Windows XP computer, you were looking at 60MB or more of updates that needed to be downloaded to fix bugs.

One thing that might help would be an "upgrade" download rather than the full version. The upgrade would deal only changed files, without the library files, etc. This might shrink the download from 60MB. On the other hand, most of us are just happy to have frequent updates.

Has anyone called to see if CarveWright will send out a CD for a nominal charge?

LZee
03-02-2007, 05:15 PM
"I don't disagree that a CDROM would be convenient for Dial-Up users (people still access the internet that way?)"

In many rural areas, neither dsl nor cable (nor, God forbid) wireless are available---in fact, some folks 'way, 'way out yonder have dialup that they have to pay long-distance charges for.

" but I don't understand what you mean about the 5 hours and the 2 hours. Cn't you just download the new version as a stand alone?"

The Dialup Blues:

When you go to the "help" menu in the designer, and click on "check for updates", it will prompt you to sign onto the internet.

Once, it has a connection, it will send you to the carvewright. com site, where you are invited to download either the windows or the mac version of (as of last week) the 1.115 update.

The user clicks on the hyperlink for Windows; up pops the download screen with an estimated time of 5 hours 29 minutes at so many bytes per second.

This week, with the 1.115 already installed, the user on dialup does the same thing---goes through help; clicks on check for upgrade; prompts for internet connection, forward to the carvewright Windows/Mac choice; click on hyperlink; up pops the downloading screen with an estimated time of 2 hours 47 minutes at so many bytes per second.

When I click on your links, Charles, I get a download time of 2 hours 51 minutes with my 33.2 kbps connection

(You guys are all city slickers!!!!!!)

So, my question still remains---is there a way to purchase a CD with the 1.119 software on it?

Linda
Sears Tools

CallNeg151
03-02-2007, 05:32 PM
I still don't get the 2 and 5 hours, other than a difference in the connection speed. Each time I have updated, the link it has provided is the full version of the program which is 60.2 MB. Likewise, the understanding that I had from your first post is that a person would need to update 2 times, once at 5 hours, and once at 2 hours, to update to the current version of the software. It is my understanding that upgrading will take you to the most recent version, which will still be an enormously large download.

If CD's do not become available, because the download appears to be the full version, I might suggest that an alternative to this long update might be to go to a public library, or other facility that has high-speed access, and download the designer software onto a flash memory to transfer to their PC or Mac when they get home.

LZee
03-02-2007, 05:35 PM
"It is my understanding that upgrading will take you to the most recent version, which will still be an enormously large download."

Yes, yes---sorry! it will indeed take you directly to 1.119 (without the 1.115 half-step)---download time looks to be six hours and twenty-seven minutes.

Excellent idea about the flash drive, though! I'm definitely using that---many thanks!

Linda
Sears Tools

pkunk
03-02-2007, 05:36 PM
(You guys are all city slickers!!!!!!)

So, my question still remains---is there a way to purchase a CD with the 1.119 software on it?

Linda
Sears Tools
We are not! I happen to live about 40 miles from nowhere. I have Wildblue. Before that I was dialup, & when I had a big file to download I went to the nearest neighbor with either satelite or DSL. Another option is the local library or community center. Take some blank CD's with you. In & out in minutes.:)