PDA

View Full Version : Not waste

Woodpecker
11-13-2014, 09:17 AM
72783These cut outs make great parts boxes or drawers for little jewelry boxes and so on. They are easily modified for equal size and shape for various applications. These rectangle cut outs are set for a 4 drawer little box as they are maple. I mix the wood so the box will be walnut with maple drawers. Sanded, lacquered, and waxed they come out looking great for me. Just saving some wonderful wood.
Woodpecker

SharonB
11-13-2014, 01:12 PM
That's a novel idea(s). Will have to keep that in mind next time I made a box.

ronboley
11-13-2014, 01:39 PM
Good use of "scrap" wood...some questions....

the wood looks to be 3/4" thick...is tis raster or vector carved? what bit did you use? does the machine just plunge all the way and hog thru the material or does it carve a little depth at a time? is there a way to control the depth the bit carves on any one pass? does the bit carve an outline (leaving a scrap piece to be removed) or does it carve out the whole area?

I've thought of carving tool shapes for custom tool box drawer organizers....

Thanks!

Digitalwoodshop
11-13-2014, 07:52 PM
I see tabs so cut path likely multi pass. Good use for the wood.

AL

CW-HAL9000
11-13-2014, 09:43 PM
Good use of "scrap" wood...some questions....

the wood looks to be 3/4" thick...is tis raster or vector carved? what bit did you use? does the machine just plunge all the way and hog thru the material or does it carve a little depth at a time? is there a way to control the depth the bit carves on any one pass? does the bit carve an outline (leaving a scrap piece to be removed) or does it carve out the whole area?

I've thought of carving tool shapes for custom tool box drawer organizers....

Thanks!

These are most likely done using a cut path. You make or use a vector but it must be a closed loop in order to make it a cut path. You select the item and then chose cut path. When the cut path window shows up you check the maximum depth box and enter in the depth you want in each pass. You do not want to do a full 3/4 inch cut path all at once eventually you will break a cutting bit. (you use a cutting bit for this). I never go more than 1/4 inch at a pass or 0.250 per pass. You could do a carve region and set the depth to 3/4 and carve out the whole thing but it would take a long time and would leave the sides with a slope equal to the carving bit on the edges. So in answer to your questions Bit can plunge all the way through and cut an outline but you do not want to do that. You control the depth in the cut path window. The bit will carve an outline but can carve out the area but it will take a long time and be a waste.

CW-HAL9000
11-13-2014, 09:52 PM
One more thing, A while back I saw a post on this forum of a person who drew an outline around his tools on a piece of paper. scanned that paper into the computer. Imported it into designer. Outlined the pattern and made a cut path to create storage spaces for his tools just as you want to do.

Woodpecker
11-16-2014, 09:56 PM
The cut outs are for the columns in doll houses for support. The thin ply-wood needs help when you stack the floors and want to have the ability to separate the doll house in sections for transportation or just moving the larger doll houses. The small ones don't need any help.
Just another way to enjoy this new CW system, I had two electricians in my shop / garage installing 20 amp outlets and they had a great time with the doll houses set up and one even put a cell phone in the living area for a big screen TV and called it a man cave. How great is that? Thanks again CW.
Woodpecker