PDA

View Full Version : Can we fix the cuck in the field?

FdxGuy
03-02-2007, 06:12 AM
Hey, interesting issue have I.

Not really, it's a boring issue. With the bit in the chuck, I can push pull and wiggle the the bit in a pretty big circle. In other words, it seems like the chuck is loose or the bearings are shot because it can deflect almost 1/16" at the tip. Needless to say it's carving poorly now.

Can we fix this at home?

Help! I want to carve more... more... more... !!!! I'm hooked, gimme more.

Semper Fi
03-02-2007, 08:00 AM
I bought a "Quick Route" kit from Sears for the extra adapters when CarveWright was out of stock. $29.99, and cheaper on eBay, that appear to be the same as on the Compucarv. I think Wright makes them for Sears.

Ernie

Charles M
03-02-2007, 08:08 AM
Bill,

Is it movement of the bit holder in the chuck or the chuck itself?

FdxGuy
03-02-2007, 03:38 PM
Bill,

Is it movement of the bit holder in the chuck or the chuck itself?

Nope, the whole chuck is moving. The bit is solid within the chuck.
Thanks!

liquidguitars
03-02-2007, 04:09 PM
Did you try to check to see if you have play with another bit assembly, I think it could be the "Quick Route" bit holder and not the chuck.

Kenm810
03-02-2007, 04:16 PM
I bought a "Quick Route" kit from Sears for the extra adapters when CarveWright was out of stock. $29.99, and cheaper on eBay, that appear to be the same as on the Compucarv. I think Wright makes them for Sears.

Ernie

I don’t Know if CW has them made for Sears, But I saw they had some ¼” and ½” Adapters And Chucks in stock so picked a few up while I was there.
]ken

FdxGuy
03-02-2007, 10:28 PM
Did you try to check to see if you have play with another bit assembly, I think it could be the "Quick Route" bit holder and not the chuck.

I've put a few bit/adapter sets into it. I've looked carefully at what is going on. The bit and the part of the chuck that moves up and down both wiggle around quite a bit now. The shaft itself that goes through the truck is still solid.

It seems like it's a wiggles wobbles wibble thing now. The carving is horrid, it's like a 1/16 carving bit is 1/4 and jagged.

I'm going to try the quickrout thing.

Does anyone know how to remove the chuck? How do I hold the shaft still to loosen the bit adapter?

Thanks again! You are all the best!

sundog2001
03-02-2007, 10:48 PM
Check in the troubleshooting forum. I posted same question and got a link to sort of an answer:

http://www.carvewright.com/forum/sho...ghlight=router

liquidguitars
03-03-2007, 02:03 AM
I did have a little play in my 1/8 cut bit assembly after about 40hrs use
and I just snaped it yesterday from a blowout.:o

I installed one of the carving bit assemblys and see no play :shock:

Sounds like you have the right idea if all the bits show the same play.

Liq

edzbaker
03-03-2007, 07:00 AM
I had the same problem after about 4 hours use. The Chuck was loose, even though it doesn't appear to be the problem. I removed the flex shaft, ground an allen wrench down square, to fit the chuck through the top, and tightened the chuck. It did solve the wobble problem.

FdxGuy
03-03-2007, 07:42 AM
The chuck seems tight on the shaft. When I seat the bit/adapter into it it snaps down like it should. However the outer part of the chuck seems loose, like it's not locking around the bit. But it will not go down any further.... even with attempted convincing ;-)
So... I will try the allen wrench thing. But the chuck does not seem loose on the shaft. However, creating a ground down allen wrench will allow me to get a new chuck to put on there.

m4pc
03-03-2007, 10:01 AM
I noted a similar problem in the poor carving quality coming from my machine, too. I measured 0.075 inches side-to-side play at the tip of the bit. I hoped it was the chuck - as CW can send you a replacement as a DIY repair. When I invesigated further and used a mirror to look at the bottom of the z-truck, I could see the bearing race moving with the threaded spindle side-to-side with the chuck. A quick call to CW confirmed that I needed to return the machine to them. Spindle bearings are one of the few parts they'll won't allow you to fix yourself. I hope that you have a bad chuck!

The Bard
03-03-2007, 03:20 PM
I was told the chucks sold by sears should not be used in our machines. I wasn't given details but that's from Lovechik himself. The adapters they sell in the three pack are the same though.

use the Quick Changes from Sears at your own risk.

BobHill
03-03-2007, 05:21 PM
The chucks are different, even though the adapters are the same. The chucks attach differently. I got on eof those for my router and that's how they attach, to the threaded portion of a standard router. The CarveWright doesn't thread, as I recall.

Bob

Ron Baird
03-03-2007, 08:36 PM
If your chuck is loose you have to remove the flex cable and find something approximately the same size as the square end on the flex cable to fit in the head shaft to hold it from turning as you turn the chuck on tight. the chuck does have a square head on it to put a wrench on. the head should be removed first and blue loctite applied to the threads before tightening it on.
The Craftsman Quick change router adapters are made by CW but DO NOT INSTALL them on your m/c. Even though the threads on some of them are the same they are different and will cause excessive vibration and cause damage to your head and bearings. I know this from experiance. the bit adapters are the same and can be used.

The Bard
03-03-2007, 11:53 PM
Thanx for the back up on that. I was hoping I wasn't being an idiot again.

liquidguitars
04-02-2007, 01:32 PM
I have this play in the spindle now and the chrome top hat has droped out from the bottom, how should I replace the chrome spacer just reinstall with loctite and or replace with new one?
Thanks,
Lig

Yellow Jacket
04-03-2007, 02:44 PM
I noted a similar problem in the poor carving quality coming from my machine, too. I measured 0.075 inches side-to-side play at the tip of the bit. I hoped it was the chuck - as CW can send you a replacement as a DIY repair. When I invesigated further and used a mirror to look at the bottom of the z-truck, I could see the bearing race moving with the threaded spindle side-to-side with the chuck. A quick call to CW confirmed that I needed to return the machine to them. Spindle bearings are one of the few parts they'll won't allow you to fix yourself. I hope that you have a bad chuck!

I too had this same problem - plastic started flying when the bearing seal was shredded, and it wobbled so much the plastic part of the chuck rubbed up against the spindle assembly and shredded the edge - that's when I got to the machine and shut it down. Perhaps there is a trend here. If so, CarveWright might want to validate whether they have a bad batch of bearings on hand - or even if the one being used is adequate. Just a customer suggestion.

I'm guessing I need to send the machine back - does anyone have a guess on what the turnaround time on this might be?

Regards,

Yellow Jacket

liquidguitars
04-03-2007, 05:46 PM
I'm guessing I need to send the machine back - does anyone have a guess on what the turnaround time on this might be?

Sounds right, I put dial indictor on the shank spinning by hand and it was with a few thousands. but had some play side to side " spindle needs a update” CW asked me to return it for a overall rebuild, including the chuck.

CW really has good service people and my time quote is 1 to 2 weeks turnaround. I will take the time a put up more models on my site and understand indexing better :)

Lig