PDA

View Full Version : Designer 3.0

sjwilson57
11-11-2014, 10:58 AM
I'm considering purchasing Designer 3.0 upgrade. I have Designer 2.0 already. If anyone has purchased and downloaded Designer 3.0, I would like to know if it is worth the $200 upgrade price? Does it give you more flexibility and better carvings?

Please let me know! I thank you in advance for any feedback.

Thanks,

Steve

Bigtyme
11-11-2014, 11:12 AM
I upgraded to 3.+ from 2.+ and added the Sculptor program during the last sale a bit ago. I like both of them and know they will be a great addition. I am no where near as design savvy as most are, here on the forum, but I am working on getting better and a number of the features of 3.0 (such as the pattern string and additional surfaces) do add a lot for my type of carvings. I am getting into the Sculptor program as well and just need to find the time to sit down and work with it more. So far, I have enjoyed what I have learned, but lot's more ground to cover...

sjwilson57
11-11-2014, 11:55 AM
Thanks Bigtyme for the feedback. I'm not familiar with the Sculptor software, is that what is needed for the Rotary Jig? I just have to chuckle (cause crying is out of the question) that every software addition is $200 bucks.

I'm still not sure if I will upgrade to 3.0. I must do a little more research.

Steve

Bigtyme
11-11-2014, 12:06 PM
The Sculptor software is a new piece that operates similar (but more options) than pattern editor. the rotary jig has its own software.

tierman
11-11-2014, 12:48 PM
The Sculptor software is a new piece that operates similar (but more options) than pattern editor. the rotary jig has its own software.

I have pattern editor and wondering if the Sculptor software justifies the price to having both pattern editor and Sculptor. I also have Designer 2.007 and the STL Importer, so again, how beneficial is it to purchase 3.0? The costs are beginning to become a factor. Do the benefits outweigh the costs? Opinions please.

Bigtyme
11-11-2014, 02:00 PM
I actually like the features using sculptor and the stl import program a lot. They seem easier to work with than using sculptor and 3.0 for me as a not too skilled cad person... But maybe that will change once I get a little more comfortable with 3.0 ....

CW-HAL9000
11-11-2014, 05:14 PM
I don't own either but my philosophy is buy it when you need it. So far I own 2 machines, pattern editor, Centerline text and designer 1.87. I might have bought sculptor because I could import more patterns from free cnc sites except that I don't like that I cant use it unless I upgrade designer or buy stl importer. So I will wait until I need it.

cestout
11-12-2014, 04:17 PM
I don't know yet. Need more time to use it (and Scupru). But, like 2.07 where I fine features that I don't know how I did with out them) I am sure that it will be a worth wile investment. And I got in on the Halloween sale.
Clint