PDA

View Full Version : 1.119 is out!!!

FdxGuy
03-02-2007, 05:38 AM
Just checked updates in Designer this morning and noticed 1.19 is out.

I am hoping that my broken home sensor is now a moot issue.

Gotta run and test out the new software :p :D :)

FdxGuy
03-02-2007, 07:17 AM
Just fired it up in my compucarve-- which is missing 1/2 of the homing sensor.... It worked great. I'm back in business.

This is Awesome! They fixed my hardware problem with software. How absolutely delightful!

Except for the loose chuck. But that's another story.

BobHill
03-02-2007, 01:21 PM
I'm curious why there hasn't been an official notice here on this Forum on this update? I also had to find out about the last (1.115) update the same way as this one ... somone here posted the information. I'm not one to pop into the Help/Update check to check, unless there is some indication that a new one is available. And for one, I never saw where 1.117 was just for Sears, or for all the CarveWright machines as well. Also perhaps an inclusion as to what the differences are that we should be aware of would be nice.

Bard ...??? Shouldn't this be an automatic entry into the CarveWright Sub-Forum as an official announcement?

Bob

CallNeg151
03-02-2007, 03:41 PM
I'm curious why there hasn't been an official notice here on this Forum on this update? I also had to find out about the last (1.115) update the same way as this one ... somone here posted the information. I'm not one to pop into the Help/Update check to check, unless there is some indication that a new one is available. And for one, I never saw where 1.117 was just for Sears, or for all the CarveWright machines as well. Also perhaps an inclusion as to what the differences are that we should be aware of would be nice.

Bard ...??? Shouldn't this be an automatic entry into the CarveWright Sub-Forum as an official announcement?

Bob

1.117 wasn't a full release. It was a firmware bug fix that could be downloaded, and then flashed (not using Designer), in order to try to resolve the find bit error. It made no other changes, according to Bard.

BobHill
03-02-2007, 04:01 PM
By not saying anything about 1.117, it established the question: do we or don't we? All updates should be posted when available AND have an itemized list of what it covers and if limited as to who should update it, then leave no question to anyone. That makes more sense than having it a mystery. Until the forum items brought it up, I had no idea that there was any difference between the CarveWright and the CompuCarve. And from some of the threads, there still is doubt as to what is available with Designer between the two. I'm still not clear as to what the Sears Software doesn't have that the CarveWright people like me do. Hard to give aid when there are unknown differences. But then, perhaps people like me are't supposed to give aid ?????

Bob

CallNeg151
03-02-2007, 04:27 PM
I think the official line is that the two are the same. Software wise, we are all now (or should be) running on the same software (v 1.119) which is downloaded straight from CarveWright and has the same features (in fact, I never even bothered to load up the Sears software, and instead just activated the software I downloaded from CarveWright). The exception to this, of course, are those of you good folks who are part of the beta test crew, which may have newer software or additional features that the rest of us, myself included, don't have.

liquidguitars
03-02-2007, 04:53 PM
Could be just a time issue, the home sensor people where feeding magic spells into the unit to get it to work. kinda like starting a steam engine
once you know the dill not to bad..

I have a feeling if your unit had home a sensor error you would have known about the update in the works...

so what is the cut motor rpm setting all about??

Liq

Dan-Woodman
03-02-2007, 05:02 PM
Hey Bobhill
I think we knew all the personal attention we used to get was going to be gone once Sears came into this.

BobHill
03-02-2007, 06:07 PM
I am a Beta, actually, Liq which is why I don't know what is different for use with Designer, so is someone wishes to know how to do a particular design with vector involved as well as raster, we shouldn't have to guess how to explain or direct the action.

Not a hard thing to have someone to do when obviously a decision is made to finalize and distribute an update to either the machine function or software for Designer and I would assume that people involved would speak of how to inform of the update .... that's an easy post, but it SHOULD be done. I doubt this is a Sears/LHR "thing".

Bob

benluz
03-02-2007, 06:17 PM
Hello Bob, I think everone one agree with you that an offiicial update notice would be the correct method when a new release is out,also a note for time to time on current improvments in the works but I think due to the overworked status of the company, the supply chain bottle neck, coupled with a several issues with the machine z- motor encoder and homing sensor and are probably being two of the biggest contributors to down time.I for one give a big thumbs up to the deletion of the homing sensor however it was released and Also a big Thank you ! from us here "the customer"
Ben

Bill
03-02-2007, 07:15 PM
Hello Bob,

By not saying anything about 1.117, it established the question: do we or don't we?
Very good question! I have no problem with the homing sensor should I or not if it is not a problem why fix it?

liquidguitars
03-03-2007, 12:36 AM
More and more software testing is going to a "open beta" program, this gets the software out to more users and can speed up bug smashing.

I ran the carvewright today without one home sensor error 246 YEA!

Thanks to the Bard and the CW team! :cool:

Liq

Marzluf
03-03-2007, 06:14 AM
"I have no problem with the homing sensor should I or not if it is not a problem why fix it?"

I would go ahead and update it. It's always nicer to load the updated sodtware when you don't need it and save yourself the frustration of having to download it when you're in the middle of a project.

revved_up
03-03-2007, 02:02 PM
you could always set a restoral point in windows and then upgrade, if things dont work out just roll back to the restoration point.

BobHill
03-03-2007, 02:11 PM
Question: Does anyone really know what the updated 1.119 have for differences besides perhaps a change to the bit Homing sensor? Is this strictly a mechanical change working through the Flash card, or is there some software changes as well?

Bob

jonweis
03-03-2007, 02:18 PM
Question: Does anyone really know what the updated 1.119 have for differences besides perhaps a change to the bit Homing sensor? Is this strictly a mechanical change working through the Flash card, or is there some software changes as well?

Bob

27 Feb 2007 -- Differences between versions 1.036/1.115 and 1.119

* Added easier-to-use registration wizard
* Added centerline text upgradable option
* Added ability to directly open and import PTN files
* Added option to center grid lines on the board
* Added option to format a memory card that cannot be read
* Added cut motor RPM option to sensor check menu
* Changed to a mechanical homing process to improve reliability
* Improved mechanical and optical bit find reliability
* Improved X axis range of motion
* Improved surface touch and depth find process
* Fixed failure during cut-to-size of boards that are too thick
* Fixed hang on some machines when entering an extended demo code
* Fixed preferences dialog and hardware optimization settings
* Fixed launch of the user's preferred web browser

Jon

BobHill
03-03-2007, 02:29 PM
Thank you, Jon. that's exactly what I wnated. Did I miss that being posted somewhere? I've sure tried not to miss anything, but then .....

Bob

jonweis
03-03-2007, 02:39 PM
Thank you, Jon. that's exactly what I wnated. Did I miss that being posted somewhere? I've sure tried not to miss anything, but then .....

Bob

That comes with the d/l

Jon

BobHill
03-03-2007, 02:50 PM
Hmmmm ! Take note, Bard. Announcements SHOULD be a part of the regimen.

Bob

pkunk
03-03-2007, 05:20 PM
I upgraded to v1.119. Today after work I decided to run a small project. The card flashed the machine control logic & I selected my project. :(
1. Machine would not recognise board/roller pressure. (checked-OK)
2. Machine stalled while measuring width of board.
3. after 4 attempts w/ reboot, LCD informs me of fatal error.
Back at the ranch, I reinstalled v1.115, reformated card, reloaded project, back to machine.
All OK, it works again. :)
So, folks, I am led to believe there may be a glitch in the new version. This is my first software problem in maybe 4 upgrades.

BobHill
03-03-2007, 05:28 PM
Not that I don't wish you well, Pkunk, but I hope that's only a MAC thing <g>. I've updated the software, but haven't flashed it yet. Perhaps I'll just wait on that until more people have given their results of the upgrade on a PC.

Bob

pkunk
03-03-2007, 05:32 PM
Not that I don't wish you well, Pkunk, but I hope that's only a MAC thing <g>. I've updated the software, but haven't flashed it yet. Perhaps I'll just wait on that until more people have given their results of the upgrade on a PC.

Bob
Hopefully it is. It was the last time.:( I'm up & running again, so I'll not worry until I have a chance to call Britt.

benluz
03-03-2007, 05:48 PM
Hmmmm ! Take note, Bard. Announcements SHOULD be a part of the regimen.

Bob

And those darn read me file I never read those either. there like instruction that come with machinery if us guys can't figure out how to work them with out reading, it has to be a poor design...right Bob
Ben

BobHill
03-03-2007, 06:04 PM
Ben,

Thanks for the tongue in cheek, but first if there is no announcement, how do you know about the update, and if you don't know what's in the update (such as the 1.117 would not do good things for mine), why might you download it on speculation and thus get the Readme file to begin with. Or have the trouble that Pkunk seems to be having?

Bob

liquidguitars
03-03-2007, 08:14 PM
I upgraded to v1.119. Today after work I decided to run a small project. The card flashed the machine control logic & I selected my project.

Just an idea, could you try formating the card with1.119 and re-flash with the update?

Any Mac guys here have the same prob? :confused:

Liq

OldTech39
03-04-2007, 10:00 AM
Has anyone had a probelm with upgrading to .119?
After upgrading my machine hangs up after selecting project then selecting NO to keepunder rollers.
It homes in and then displays "Load Piece".
Nothing I do will clears this display or allow me to proceed.
I have tried to change back to older version of software but to no avail.
Any suggestions?
:confused:

OldTech39

Missed my 1st childhood, having fun reliving it!

nodwell
03-04-2007, 10:51 AM
I upgraded yesterday morning. Since then nothing but errors, x-axis, y-axis, possibly board removal etc. Now I can't get past load board. Took back off and checked all conections, they seem fine (nothing loose). Took board sensor off and it looked cleaned but cleaned with air before reinstalling. No help. Getting 0-1 reading when testing this sensor. Guess I will be on phone with CW soon.

Also noticed two small taped holes on ledge inside of cover. Does anyone know what these are for?

Don

oju392
03-05-2007, 10:34 AM
I upgraded to 1.119 last week and received a set of bits on Friday. I was trying to cut a ogee oval 3/16 out and then cut the oval using the 1/8 cutting bit aftterwards.
The machine kept asking for the 3/16" ogee bit about a dozen times I'd watch it go back and forth and stop in the middle and ask for the bit after I'd already installed it. Finally I installed a 3/8" ogee bit and it started carving???
Then when it came time for the 1/8" cutting bit it kept asking for it and finally it went into a fatal error and I had to turn the machine off.
Afterwards I deleted everything off the graphic except the oval and reinstalled the board and card and it starting a small oval in the wrong area. So, I went back to the computer and reloaded just the oval back to my Compucarve and it kept asking for the 1/8" cutting bit about a dozen times after I'd installed it. Then finally after that scenerio the bit traveled over to the board and tapped it a few times and went into a error again. Any ideas I didn't have this problem with 1.115. 1.115 just kept telling me to clean the sensor.

liquidguitars
03-05-2007, 12:15 PM
I had some prob when I was using my first sled."1.115" The bits did not
Have a place to id the depth of the board.

I had to tape over large pockets and carvings over 1/2 deep and made a spot for the bit to hit the sled.

1.119 seems to understand the free space in the sled better as do I now.

You can also check your project for old bit information and remove any bits your not using in the project even if set to 0.

I would like to see a flag to turn off and on any cutters in designer before flashing.

Liq

FdxGuy
03-05-2007, 12:20 PM
Can you upload the project here so we can put together our brains and maybe see what is going on?

I upgraded to 1.119 last week and received a set of bits on Friday. I was trying to cut a ogee oval 3/16 out and then cut the oval using the 1/8 cutting bit aftterwards.
The machine kept asking for the 3/16" ogee bit about a dozen times I'd watch it go back and forth and stop in the middle and ask for the bit after I'd already installed it. Finally I installed a 3/8" ogee bit and it started carving???
Then when it came time for the 1/8" cutting bit it kept asking for it and finally it went into a fatal error and I had to turn the machine off.
Afterwards I deleted everything off the graphic except the oval and reinstalled the board and card and it starting a small oval in the wrong area. So, I went back to the computer and reloaded just the oval back to my Compucarve and it kept asking for the 1/8" cutting bit about a dozen times after I'd installed it. Then finally after that scenerio the bit traveled over to the board and tapped it a few times and went into a error again. Any ideas I didn't have this problem with 1.115. 1.115 just kept telling me to clean the sensor.

oju392
03-05-2007, 01:09 PM
see attached

jdrof
03-05-2007, 01:56 PM
I was also running a project yesterday and the last function was to call for the 1/8" cutting bit. After I installed it, the machine started the bit find process but when it moved to the far side the touch plate would not come out far enough for the bit to touch it. I also had just installed the new update.

Software problem?

wilson7
03-05-2007, 04:00 PM
I am having the same problem with the touch plate. I was having some minor problems with it before I upgraded. Now I can't run a project because the trucks will not move far enough to the left. I am considering reloading version 1.115.

HandTurnedMaple
03-05-2007, 05:17 PM
Someone earlier said the touch plate problem is related to a cover switch. I had it happen once, so now I always hold down the cover tight while it is processing a new bit.

Cliff
03-05-2007, 05:33 PM
I have not had a chance to run a project after updating to version 1.119, I'm not that great at creating graphics. I do have a little exercise I run the machine through though, I load a board and tell it to route all sides at zero (0) depth and I don't load a bit, just answer enter to each prompt. This causes the machine to go through all the steps of finding the board, homing, and bit length calculations multiple times and check both the y and z movement. I also run through the sensor checks afterwards and have it measure the board. So far no problems with anything and the only short comming is the the board length measurement is just a little shy 0.120 which I can live with.

I wish I had more time to get better at 3d graphics and play with the CW machine.

Cliff

oju392
03-05-2007, 07:52 PM
Just re did the oval graphic hoping that a square would do the trick and then I got a Assert Macro failed and also got a Y Axis stall and the carving Bit went all the way through this $23.00 red oak board. I am not a happy camper right now.
The word Sarfan was carving and when it got to the first n the bit plunged through the board. I had to stop the machine!

Now What?

oju392
03-05-2007, 08:41 PM
Now I just reflashe dthe card downloaded the same project and when I turn on the machine it immediatly gives me the ASSERT Macro failed.
It appears I'm dead in the water.

Cliff
03-05-2007, 09:08 PM
RC:
Who said "Which at that point any repair you make voids the warranty" if a CW Tech is walking you through any repair attempt?
That would be good information to know in advance if valid.

cajunpen
03-05-2007, 09:57 PM
RCWoodworks & Cliff - apparently you guys have not had any actual experience with the crew at CW. Once you talk to them, you will be surprised to find that they are real gems in the business world. Unlike most companies, CW will bend over backwards to make your machine work.

I suspect that they bit off a little more than they expected when they inked the deal with Sears - but in their defense, in spite of the obvious growing pains, they do stand behind their product.

Give them a call tomorrow, I can assure you that if the Tech talks you through a repair it won't void your warranty. Sorry to hear about the problems. I just updated to the new version and have not carved anything since the upgrade, I'm hoping mine works well. I can promise you that if I have problems I will stick with it until they get worked out. The CW is an amazing addition to my workshop. Good luck and don't give up too soon.

Cliff
03-05-2007, 10:37 PM
I like my CW and would buy it again, I for one don't have a problem working on things, I'm the type that would crash my computer for the experience of having to rebuild it.
I was just wondering if the 'will void the warranty' was official, with out having to raise the bul*-shi* flag.
I'm happy with my unit and the support I have received from CW and this Forum

HandTurnedMaple
03-06-2007, 08:58 AM
Cliff, I was told this by Sears repair and from the sales dept. Think about it you bought a Craftsman tool, not a CW. I was told any attempt to repair the machine even if you are guided by a CW tech will void the warranty. I know with my 1st machine Sears repair didn't even know they carried the CC. So all repairs were directed to CW. Sears has since been trained to repair the CC so like any other Craftsman tool you work on it you void any warranty including extended warranties.

But don't take my word call your local store or Sears repair. Just trying to help I never said you had a problem with your machine or service. I have with both so I am not willing to chance voiding the warranty.

My take on this is simple. Sears doesn't actually support or repair the machine, so it really isn't their call. Sears has made several mistakes with this machine already that don't need to get rehashed. And these mistakes have been made by both sales associates and warranty people.

So since CW is the company that actually provides warranty support at this time, it their policy and practices that really matter here. And those practices are to have machine owners effect the repairs that they are capable of while under the instruction of CW technicians.

IM2HAPPI
03-06-2007, 11:48 AM
This am ran 2 projects since I did the upgrade, not 1 single problem.......but I havent had one as of yet since I purchased it... Am I bragging ? H_ _ _ ya !! lol
I used my new bits this am as well, this is so neat. Now for some real fun ; )))

Jon Jantz
03-06-2007, 12:03 PM
IM2HAPPI... has anyone ever told ya.. UR2HAPPI... :lol:

IM2HAPPI
03-06-2007, 01:26 PM
I have been IM2HAPPI now for 12 years. You are the first that has asked that lol. When and if you ever see IMNOT2HAPPI
Run as fast as you can lol, dont even bother asking me why. Just hide. The last time I was IMNOT2HAPPI someone asked me if I was Bipolor hehehe.
Anyways, I was just so excited this AM watching that centerline, geesh what can I say. I luv my machine, she's preforming just the way she should, that excites me.

HandTurnedMaple
03-06-2007, 01:43 PM
I won't find out what Sears has to say on the subject, because I have no interest in their opinion. They don't service my machine, CW does. If that policy changes, I will return my machine under the 90-day Return Policy and get my name on the CW wait list so I don't have to deal with Sears "service". The last time I asked Sears to make a repair on an item I purchased from them, they had me drive the 30 miles to them and then it took over 2 weeks for them to START repairing it.

So instead of waiting 2 weeks before Sears even begins the repair, then wait for them to receive the parts, then another 1-2 weeks before they start reassembling it, I prefer to cut out the middle man and just do the repairs without Sears' interference. Besides, I get fewer overinflated promises and less attitude from LHR. But I guess that's because I'm their secret mole.

pkunk
03-06-2007, 03:13 PM
RC, if you can't cool it, I'll lock this thread. Be civil, folks.

IM2HAPPI
03-06-2007, 03:27 PM
And mine is working GREAT ; ) !!! I luv my machine lol
and I thought I might of highjacked it whew. Im playing nice.