PDA

View Full Version : Clean Y Rails Message

Alan Malmstrom
11-08-2014, 05:29 PM
I was on the last half hour of the second 3 hour carve today when I got a "Clean Y Rails" message. I had noticed a kind of choppy sound since the beginning of the carve. And a kind of clicking or grinding type sound occasionally when the y is moving across. Also the flex shaft was running suddenly hotter. Not to hot, it was at about 120 to 130 in the usual hot spots.

I had run four - 3 hour carves the past two days but not right after each other. And I didn't get any grinding or rough cutting noises. It sounded smooth and clean. I've been doing some .75" depth carves in oak. The depth is mainly around the edges.

It seems like this grinding noise had happened before when I had run the machine for almost 3 hours a few months ago when the same thing happened. I didn't get the "Clean Y Rails" message that time though. It seems like it happens when things get warmed up. Like the spindle was slightly warm when I felt it after the carve. The spindle turns freely so I don't think it has froze bearings.

Anybody have any ideas what might be my problem?

unitedcases
11-08-2014, 05:44 PM
When that happens to me it means it's time to change out the bit. I one time ignored the message and next thing I knew the machine decided to skip and changing the bit fixed it. That's just me though.

fwharris
11-08-2014, 06:18 PM
From the trouble shooting guide on the clicking/grinding sound http://www.carvewright.com/support-page/troubleshooting-guide/troubleshooting-the-carvewright/#clicking_sound_during_homing

There used to be on on the clean Y rails but could find it. It might of gotten lost in the reorganization of the site. Along with the dull bit I would check/clean the Y rails and bearings.

Digitalwoodshop
11-08-2014, 06:44 PM
You could also need to replace the Y Gearbox Bearings and check for a worn shaft on the Y Gear. Plus while you have the belt off check the Y roller Rail Bearings.

AL

Alan Malmstrom
11-08-2014, 08:13 PM
I will take a look at the bit. I only have about 16 hours on this bit. So I'm hoping the bit is still good.

I found the videos on cleaning the rails and bearings and fixing the belt tension: http://www.carvewright.com/support-page/maintenance/#clean_idlers
So I'll do those things. It looks pretty easy to do.

I wish there was a video on taking the Y motor off and replacing and checking the bearings and gear. I guess I'll just take the head cover off and see if I can figure that out.

Thanks to all for the help.

unitedcases
11-08-2014, 09:32 PM
If anyone can figure it out without a manual Alan it's you.

Alan Malmstrom
11-09-2014, 12:06 AM
I've never had to do maintenance on my machine yet other than the flex shaft and rolled under sanding belt. I have an older C model also that runs good. I could use some parts off of it if I ever need to.

I found the youtube video on how to take the y motor off and it looks pretty easy: http://www.carvewright.com/support-page/maintenance/#replace_ymotor