PDA

View Full Version : A little tip and trick for painting

zan29
11-06-2014, 03:05 PM
All the patterns are from cncminiprojects.ca except for the flower which is from Vectorclip3d.com

A combination of stains, acrylic paint and varnish.........soooooooo easy to do even if you have no talent in detail painting.

I started this method last year since I did not have a steady hand like Sharon and was screwing up all my paint jobs and basically ruining my pieces........she's so good at it!

I call it finger painting, so as Michael Tyler, and if you're finger is too big, use a swab......:D

By applying two different coats of varnish, you may get amazing results. Just test and try until you find the right match.
My first coat was a grey stain and the second coat was a gel stain classic oak and it gave me the look of old bronze. I also rubbed a gold acrylic on the whole candle holder once everything was dry.

To detail, mix the acrylic paint of your choice with water and apply with a lint-free rag and you finger of course, just a tad at a time, and rub the areas you wish to detail.
Better go in small doses and add if necessary then trying to wipe off too much paint.

ALWAYS ALWAYS TEST ON A PIECE OF SCRAP WOOD BEFORE EVEN TRYING TO PAINT YOUR BEAUTIFUL CARVE. I learned it the hard way..........duhhhhhh!

Have fun!

lynnfrwd
11-06-2014, 03:23 PM
Please upload photos that have a lower resolution. They are sooo hi-res that it takes forever for them to load.

Thanks and thanks for sharing.

SharonB
11-06-2014, 04:20 PM
Oh, I do like both your projects and they look so old fashion with your painting technique. Lots of great ideas for the up coming holiday season.

mtylerfl
11-06-2014, 04:34 PM
Very nice, Suzanne! Top-notch! Thank you for sharing your technique and photos.

zan29
11-06-2014, 06:26 PM
Ok so Lynn said my pictures were too big so here they are in a smaller version.

zan29
11-06-2014, 06:28 PM
Ooops...........too fast!

Ok so Lynn said my pictures were too big so here they are in a smaller version.

henry1
11-06-2014, 06:34 PM
Please upload photos that have a lower resolution. They are sooo hi-res that it takes forever for them to load.

Thanks and thanks for sharing.
I had no problem opening them up nice sue

farmer
11-06-2014, 07:48 PM
Great technique!

zan29
11-06-2014, 09:01 PM
Here's another mix and match of two stains. The details are so apparent, I think I'll just leave that way. I also forgot to mention that for your second coat of stain, a gel type is better.
The pattern is from Vectorclip3d.com.

ktjwilliams
11-06-2014, 09:03 PM
Nice projects and finish ... You go Sue ...