PDA

View Full Version : getting text to follow a pattern

smurfjeep
11-05-2014, 07:44 PM
Isn't there a way where you can place text over a pattern and have it follow the contour of the pattern?

I purchased the wedding rings on the pattern store and was looking to put names on each ring. How do I get the text to sit atop and follow the contour of the ring? As you can see , the bottom of the text seems to fall off.

Any help would be appreciated.

Woody

eelamb
11-05-2014, 08:19 PM
You need the conforming vectors add on program
http://store.carvewright.com/product.php?productid=21143&cat=252&page=1

smurfjeep
11-06-2014, 05:20 AM
OK, I already have "Conforming Vectors" included (Purchased), I went on to the two different tutorials that describe "Conforming vectors" (Design project 4 & 7-12) and simply put they just say to click the conform button.

From design project 4 "With the text selected check the box labled “conform” to make the text merge to your texture" and from design project 7-12 "9 CONFORMING VECTORS Click the Conform box. Conforming Vectors applies the vector to whatever surface is below it. In this case, the inverted shape of the leaf."

I have read both of these tutorials, and when I try and click the conform box, the option id greyed out.

What am I doing wrong?

Thanks, Woody

smurfjeep
11-06-2014, 05:25 AM
Wanted to include a screen shot of my designer, maybe I am doing something painfully wrong, such as not turning on a feature. Thanks

DianMayfield
11-06-2014, 06:46 AM
Hi Woody, conforming will only work on outline or centerline text. Well, at least on my copy. Now we need to see if there is a workaround from the Masters :)

DickB
11-06-2014, 07:30 AM
You need Designer 2 or 3. Draw a spline to follow the curve of your pattern. Click on "Decorate with text" and enter your text.

72672 72673

mtylerfl
11-06-2014, 07:33 AM
I made some quick modifications. This is not the only way to a solution, but it may work for you. I enlarged the rings a little, added arcs to the lettering, some spacing, Merge Add, Draft Small, Bit Optimization Best, Angled the names, adjusted Height...no workarounds, just using the standard tools.

henry1
11-06-2014, 09:38 AM
I made some quick modifications. This is not the only way to a solution, but it may work for you. I enlarged the rings a little, added arcs to the lettering, some spacing, Merge Add, Draft Small, Bit Optimization Best, Angled the names, adjusted Height...no workarounds, just using the standard tools.

modifications ok but I only have the 2.07 not 3 software what a bummer

mtylerfl
11-06-2014, 11:32 AM
modifications ok but I only have the 2.07 not 3 software what a bummer

Good time to upgrade. Don't get left behind. It's all up from here!

eelamb
11-06-2014, 03:48 PM
Thanks Michael, I could not see the MPC of his, so until I saw the image, only guessed as to the problem. Smurfjeep Michael did a great job for you.
Smurfjeep, another way is to use the V bit and do the names using centerline. They will then follow the surface of the rings using conform.
Here is my version of some interlocking rings.
http://lambswoodworking.com/products/product.php?id_product=411

smurfjeep
11-06-2014, 06:25 PM
Thanks MikeT, I will try to recreate what you mentioned, its the way I learn, by doing.

DickB, I have 3.101, build 12320 (whatever that means) My problem Is I just need more time to break apart all the tutorials and identify, what each button does, and what it can do for your project.

The tutorials are great, its just identifying what does what, when you run into something you want done....sounds a little cryptic, huh?

eelamb, that is a really cool set of rings, are they available in the pattern store?

eelamb
11-06-2014, 07:43 PM
No those rings are only available on my site.

cestout
11-07-2014, 06:08 PM
You need to make the text additive. It is raster, not Centerline, so conform won't help.
Clint