PDA

View Full Version : Lastest Litho

Bob Victor
11-05-2014, 12:49 PM
Completed a litho of my wife parents, as a gift to her. The lighting I used was from a suggestion from CW-HAL9000. I used clear mini christmas lights. I previously used puck light and was not happy. So a tip of my hat to CW-HAL9000 for the suggestion. Also, completed two plaques for a customer, who was completely happy.

mtylerfl
11-05-2014, 01:27 PM
Very nice work! Came out great and the lighting is excellent.

Digitalwoodshop
11-05-2014, 01:42 PM
Very nice !!!

dbemus
11-05-2014, 02:16 PM
Very nice litho, lighting is great!

I like the contrast stain on the plaque.
dbemus

CW-HAL9000
11-05-2014, 08:23 PM
What a great litho! I am glad the lights worked for you, I have sold at least 30 of these and have only had one come back with a light issue. I do wish the cords were longer but you can't beat the price.

karossii
12-08-2014, 11:13 PM
Which lights are you using? My wife uses a few different types for one of her crafts (has me drill a hole in a wine bottle, then stuffs it with lights and random sparkly stuff) - I tried all of the various types of lights she had, and none worked very well for me.

Bob Victor
12-19-2014, 04:36 PM
I previously used puck light. Wasn't pleased with the way the light shown though the litho. With a suggestion from CW-HAL9000 I started using the mini christmas lights. Works very well, like the light distribution. I have use them in other projects where I would take the clear glass blocks, drill a hole large enough to allow lights to go through, then wrap wide ribbon around the block and give as christmas gifts.

karossii
12-19-2014, 06:36 PM
Where did you get the lights? What brand? How many bulbs on the strand? The ones I have, have either 25, 50, or 100 bulbs on a strand. The 25 bulb strings are battery operated. The other two plug in. They are all mini Christmas lights, and none of them look even halfway acceptable - lots of hot spots and shadows, and even the birghtest spots are only half as bright as I'd like.

I did get some LED strip lights, the ones that come on a roll and you cut off as long as you need. They work wonderfully, and the lights themselves are not expensive - but the power supplies are more than I would like to spend ($8 each is the cheapest I have found, and some are upwards of $15)... I had hoped to keep the entire cost of lighting under $10 per litho.

zan29
12-20-2014, 02:43 AM
Did you use a light diffusor with your puck?

I previously used puck light. Wasn't pleased with the way the light shown though the litho. With a suggestion from CW-HAL9000 I started using the mini christmas lights. Works very well, like the light distribution. I have use them in other projects where I would take the clear glass blocks, drill a hole large enough to allow lights to go through, then wrap wide ribbon around the block and give as christmas gifts.

Bob Victor
12-20-2014, 05:57 AM
I purchased my mini christmas lights from Big Lots. The 20 count cost $1.80 and the 50 count was $2.50. I did find at JoAnns a 35 count for $5.00. I use peg board, cut to size of litho box. I drill the holes slightly bigger to fit the bulbs. Line the surface with aluminum foil (acts as reflector), then hot glue the bulbs in place on the back side. The predrilled holes are equally spaced for distribution of light. If there is a draw back, the cords could be a little longer. Will be shopping after christmas to buy clearance sale on lights. My lithos are carved on 1/2 corian. Works well..

Bob Victor
12-20-2014, 05:58 AM
The only thing, I used aluminum foil as a reflector. I felt the puck light got to hot. So I changed to the mini christmas lights.

dbemus
12-20-2014, 03:13 PM
Question?? Are the bulbs indivudally replaceabale if some burn out?

dbemus

Bob Victor
12-20-2014, 06:11 PM
Yes they are. If the light string is one that if bulb burns out the string stays lit. You'll be fine. But if you use the string where all go out if one burns out, then you have to find the bad one. I build my boxes with removable backs so I can get access to the light panel.

dbemus
12-22-2014, 02:09 PM
Bob

Thanks for the reply. I will pick some up in the after Christmas sales.