PDA

View Full Version : CNC question

smurfjeep
11-05-2014, 05:36 AM
Does anybody use a CNC machine besides your Carvewright? I have been looking at different machines, but worried about the cost, and then the costs of the different programs needed (Gcode, cad/cam) I have been looking at a machine (Shape oko 2) really affordable at $600, but you have to put it together.

So I was just curious what machines supplement your carvewright, and what programs do you use? Thanks

Woody

zan29
11-05-2014, 06:09 AM
I have a CNC so you can email me for more info at info@suzannewoodworking.ca

Alan Malmstrom
11-05-2014, 08:36 AM
The Shapoko uses arduino controllers and what they call GRBL which doesn't seem to work very well for anything other than cutting paths. If you want to carve then you would want to use maybe nema 23 stepper motors or bigger and some other controller and controller software. Here's a machine that works pretty good: http://digitalwoodcarver.com/
I make g-code for this guy who runs one of these machines. And when my parallel port computer broke down I went and bought the same controller that are used in these machines. The controller is a USB CNC controller (from Planet CNC in Slovenia) and it works with their controller software. You could buy shapoko parts and then buy your own motors and controller. It would be hard to build a CNC that is as robust as the Carvewright machine though. I for instance can't get my machine to carve deep in hard woods without the machine loosing steps and messing up the project without doing multiple paths which then take great long periods of time. A CNC machine is simple to fix but a Carvewright works much better until such a time as some bearing somewhere wears out then you would have to find the problem and fix it. My Carvewright machine has less than 250 hours and is still working great but it will need maintenance one day. But if I need a shallow carve I use the CNC. The CNC works good for deep carves in MDF or MDU.

t-townwilson
11-05-2014, 09:36 AM
I don't have anything except CarveWright, but have often thought about an additional CNC with different capabilities. I saw the Legacy Explorer machine at WoodShow last spring, and was intrigued with it. However, even though the base price was $4,000, by the time you add what is necessary to make it usable (software, PC, router, etc.), it was at least $7,000. Anyone have response to this?

mtylerfl
11-05-2014, 09:51 AM
As far as I know, no other CNC is as affordable as the CarveWright. Even with all the add-on software suites, it's still priced lower than "brand-x" CNC's.

There can be a good argument for adding another "conventional" CNC, IF you really have a specific reason to do so. I know a lot of people whose first CNC was the CarveWright and they added a larger capacity machine to do larger "stuff". Many still use their CarveWright's for smaller items or LONG items . The CW can carve pieces as long as 12 feet in one go, if proper support for that long an item is employed. Even the $18,000 ShopBot I use can't do that.

So, do you have a specific reason that requires a larger system? It appears the Legacy Explorer machine you mentioned is relatively small capacity (only 25" x 25"). Hardly worth the money in my opinion.

Bob Victor
11-05-2014, 02:35 PM
Does anybody use a CNC machine besides your Carvewright? I have been looking at different machines, but worried about the cost, and then the costs of the different programs needed (Gcode, cad/cam) I have been looking at a machine (Shape oko 2) really affordable at $600, but you have to put it together.

So I was just curious what machines supplement your carvewright, and what programs do you use? Thanks

Woody

Earlier this year I purchased the Shapeoko 2 over the Carvewright. It was a mistake on my part. Took over two weeks to assemble, because the instructions were hard to understand. The Easel program is very limited. They did recommend to Inkscape to design, save and then import to Shapeoko. Easier said then done. I returned the Shapeoko and purchased a carvwright. In this instance, price was not worth the headache.

mtylerfl
11-05-2014, 03:09 PM
Yes, there have been a lot of "copycat" small-format CNC's come along since the CarveWright was introduced. So far, none match the quality, ease of use, support, continual software advances and the economical price of the "real deal" - the CarveWright!

zan29
11-05-2014, 03:48 PM
Well I have a CW of course and the General Icarver 915 and I love them both. I love the fact that I can thrown any small piece on the CNC and carve, no jig necessary and can carve on a 1/4" board. I also love the fact that the CW can use much longer boards. For me, both go hand in hand with what I do. Il all depends what your plans are and what you want to achieve. Both are very good machine I say but of course the price is very different.

smurfjeep
11-05-2014, 03:59 PM
Thanks all, there's a lot to think about. However I feel that trying to learn a whole new machine and software, when I barely have my mind wraped around the CW and its software, I think I am just gonna sit on this for a while. I am very daunted on how expensive CNC machines and software can be.

James RS
11-05-2014, 04:28 PM
Take a browse at Openbuilds

cestout
11-05-2014, 05:51 PM
At the woodworking show in Costa Mesa, CA a year ago my wife talked to a guy who just bought a Legacy (they were in the entry way), then found us over in the back corner and was sorry he moved too fast. Unless you are going to get into the 5 digit price range, there is nothing better for the money. And many of us have more than one (I have 2).
Clint

Capt Bruce
11-06-2014, 10:11 AM
Same same Clint and happy with my two CWs. I've even carved top and bottom halves of a larger sign running on the two machines simultaneously and they were a perfect match when brought together for glue-up. Thus far I just have not seen a personal need for a larger format machine given the start-up costs that would be involved. Good discussion and some valid points contributed Team.

SteveNelson46
11-06-2014, 10:39 AM
This forum is probably not a good place to ask for CNC comparisons. I suggest you disregard cost at first and find a machine and software that fits your needs. If it's too expensive then downsize to a less expensive system. Using this method will educate you on the pros, cons, and reliability of each system. Comparisons should not be based on cost alone.

mtylerfl
11-06-2014, 11:25 AM
Agreed - choice should always be made dependent upon needs and requirements first. Budget is second (and sometimes a "rude awakening"). ;)