PDA

View Full Version : would like to make model car parts

pn14427
11-04-2014, 12:12 PM
Sorry, newbie here,

I make model wooden cars and trucks. I would love to mass produce 2 of my trucks. Is there a way to import my plans into the carvewright? My granddaughter seems to think I need to use a cad program to draw up the parts then transfer them. seems like a heck of a lot of work just to make squares and rectangles out of 1/2 inch wood. Plus I really don't want to spend all that money on a cad program if I don't have to.

Just wondering if I'm on the right track or not.

If I am posting this in the wrong area I am sorry, tried searching the forum I got so many hits it would take me a week to read them all.

Thanks for your help in advance
Pete

bergerud
11-04-2014, 12:16 PM
Welcome to the forum. Can you post a picture of the type of cars you want to make? This sounds like a cool use of the machine.

pn14427
11-04-2014, 12:53 PM
photos are too big for your forum
I will try to make them smaller
pete

pn14427
11-04-2014, 01:03 PM
I'm no computer genius
This might work they are not the best but best I can give you for now

DianMayfield
11-04-2014, 01:18 PM
I must say, those are pretty cool! I am bowed up with my real job for the next two weeks or I would love to help you through getting them set up - yes, I believe you could do most of it on the machine :)

blhutchens
11-04-2014, 01:21 PM
It doesn't look like there is anything there the CW can't make.
I have found it faster to use conventional tools to do straight cuts.
The parts it would save time and increase accuracy are the complex things like wheels, head lights, bends in the exhaust stacks etc…...

They would make awesome projects if you were to make everything using the CW.

Brent

bergerud
11-04-2014, 01:22 PM
You should be able to redraw the parts in the Designer program. I, and others on this forum, would be interested in helping if you have any trouble. I like your trucks.

(There is really no way in import your plans if they are just on paper. If you have DXF versions, they could be imported with the DXF importer add-on. If you have the 2D tools add-on, you could import images and trace them. I would just redraw them.)

pn14427
11-04-2014, 09:36 PM
they are in a pdf I was just trying to find out the easiest way to transfer them or If I had to draw them. Whoo I was afraid I would have to use a cad program. At my age I don't cave enough time to learn another program.
thanks all for your posts
I will try to use designer to cut my pieces. I will keep you updated on my progress.

pete

bjbethke
11-04-2014, 11:40 PM
they are in a pdf I was just trying to find out the easiest way to transfer them or If I had to draw them. Whoo I was afraid I would have to use a cad program. At my age I don't cave enough time to learn another program.
thanks all for your posts
I will try to use designer to cut my pieces. I will keep you updated on my progress.

pete

Hi Pete, If you have the toy patterns in a PDF format you can make photos of each page of that PDF. I do that with my toy PDF file. Then with a program like Corel Draw or Adobe Illustrator (Ai) make a DXF file of the Toy patterns. With the Carve Wright DXF program you can make a Vector Drawing that you can use in the CW Designer program to carve your toy parts. There are free programs to use to make the DXF files.

Also with Photoshop you can make drawing images to make PTN files if you have the Pattern Editor program.

the attachment is one of my Toy Rocking Horse patterns.

If you "PM" me with your E-Mail address - I can help you. BJB

boilermaker
11-05-2014, 08:18 AM
I may be able to help you convert them. I sent you a private message

eelamb
11-05-2014, 03:39 PM
Look at this site, it may have what you are looking for in dxf format.
http://www.makecnc.com/welcome.php

ladjr
11-06-2014, 01:02 AM
Thanks Eddie you always know the best Web sites.

pn14427
11-06-2014, 11:21 AM
Sorry, half of what you are telling me or suggested to me sounds great.
Unfortunately, I just don't have the computer savvy or knowledge to do half of that stuff. But my granddaughter seems to know most of these programs and is coming over this weekend to help me out.

But this stuff is all Greek to me. It was my granddaughters idea to get the carvewright to help make my toy parts. I am one of those people that the only use of a computer is to get e-mail (90% junk) and serf the internet to find sports scores.

I will let you know how far we get and when we will need your generous help that you are offering.

Thank you all
Pete

Can't believe at 16 years old she can do most of this in school. So maybe we can learn together.
I love her to death even if she is a computer nerd lol.

mtylerfl
11-06-2014, 11:36 AM
Hi Pete,

You can learn how to do the designs yourself - we all started from where you are at one time or another. The tutorials at the CarveWright website are a good start.

In the meantime, you may consider hiring someone to create the patterns for you. Nothing wrong with that. Perhaps there is someone here that would be interested in making a little extra money for Christmas (and beyond).

bjbethke
11-06-2014, 01:33 PM

Hi Eddie, I like to use this WWW. page; www.toymakingplans.com (http://click.icptrack.com/icp/relay.php?r=74161642&msgid=748689&act=H3U2&c=1017209&destination=http://www.toymakingplans.com)

They have nice PDF Drawings that are easy and fast to convert into CW PTN Files.