PDA

View Full Version : November 2014 Project of the Month - Christmas Candle Centerpiece

mtylerfl
11-03-2014, 10:33 PM
Hello,

This Candle Centerpiece design features pinecones and evergreen branches to adorn your holiday table! The “candles” are PVC pipes with battery operated flickering tea lights resting at the base of each one. The pipes lift out of recessed grooves for easy access to turn the lights on and off. All components are carved and cut out using just the 1/16" Carving Bit and the 1/8" Cutting Bit. No other bits are required.

The completed project dimensions are about 10" x 16" oval x 1.5" thick (not including PVC candle height).

Main items you will need:
1) The Project Files (included):
• Christmas_Centerpiece_TOP.mpc
• Centerpiece_BASE.mpc

2) Boards with the following dimensions:
TOP: 0.75" x 11" x 24"
BASE: 0.75" x 11" x 24"

Do not use boards that are smaller than specified above unless using an appropriate jig. Larger boards are fine in all cases.

3) One 8.5"and two 6.5" lengths of 1.5" PVC pipe (NOTE: a 1.5" PVC pipe has an outer diameter of 2")

4) Three battery operated LED tea light candles, wood glue, sandpaper, wood stain and/or paint and clear finish

LED Tea Lights Sourced from Amazon.com
AGPtek 24 Battery Operated LED Cool White Tea Light Flickering Candles $15.99 (less than $0.67 for each light)
Box of 24 Cool White Led Flameless Flickering Candles. Includes 24 CR2032 coin batteries (inside the candles)
http://www.amazon.com/AGPtek-Operated-Flickering-Decoration-Occasions/dp/B00AH83J58/ref=pd_sim_hi_1ie=UTF8&refRID=1JHXN0WX09BMYKEGMBKQ

I purchased the Cool White LED candles above. If you prefer, Warm White LED candles are also available..

AGPtek 24 Battery Operated LED Warm White Tea Light Candle Flickering $17.99
Box of 24 Warm White Led Flameless Flickering Candles. Includes 24 CR2032 coin batteries (inside the candles)
http://www.amazon.com/AGPtek-Battery-Operated-Flickering-Flashing/dp/B00AH9HH1E/ref=pd_sim_hi_2ie=UTF8&refRID=0CGCFCV6M61MZ79QP0AG

5) A Dremel-type rotary tool with assorted sanding wheels and bits to sand small details and speed up preparation for finishing.

Apply your choice of finish.
Here’s what I used on my own “Christmas Candle Centerpiece” made from Select Pine:

• Several light coats Zinsser Bulls Eye spray Shellac sanding between coats

• Applied green craft paint with fingertip on the raised “branches” only

• Applied three coats Zinsser Bulls Eye spray Shellac

• Applied Rust-Oleum Carrington stain overall, then wiped off the high spots to enhance the carving details

• Several light coats of Krylon Clear acrylic spray as the final topcoat

Ideas for variations:
• Paint the PVC pipe “candles” - gold, red, or green
• Add metallic glitter flakes on the PVC pipes using spray adhesive, then a clear topcoat
• Apply white paint “snow” on the pine cones and branches using your finger or a paint pen or a brush
• If you own the CarveWright Rotary Jig, you can carve your a design or photo on each of the PVC pipes for a classy lithophane backlit effect!

b.sumner47
11-03-2014, 11:29 PM
Looks like a Good One !!! Thanks, Michael . Capt Barry

henry1
11-04-2014, 06:14 AM
that is nice ,when will it be available in the store for to buy

Ducky63
11-04-2014, 07:33 AM
Looks like fun finger painting!!! You done a great job Michael. Getting us ready for the season.

mtylerfl
11-04-2014, 07:47 AM
Yes, I regressed into my childhood finger painting urges! I had not planned to do any painting at all on this...was going to stain only. Some folks may still prefer to do that and that's fine.

It was at my wife's request that I add some color (green) to the branches and I'm really glad I did. She's happy, I'm happy, and my world is in perfect harmony! :D

Tip on the green paint color...paint with a brighter/lighter green than what you would normally use. The darker stain over the top will tone down (darken) the brighter green and yield better highlights when strategically wiping the stain off.

rcdages
11-04-2014, 11:26 AM
Wonderful_wonderful_ Awesome project:
What a great item for Christmas.................Home Run !!!!!!!!!

Digitalwoodshop
11-04-2014, 11:38 AM
Yes, Very Nice project !!!!

AL

Capt Bruce
11-04-2014, 12:58 PM
That is another awesome Project of the Month design Michael and it is especially fun to see you getting in touch with your inner Kindergartner with the finger painting.

aokweld101
11-04-2014, 01:07 PM
That is great project.... I'm thinking if you put lights in the pipe using the rotary jig a person might be able to make it into a lithophane and add to it.....

zan29
11-04-2014, 06:16 PM
For sure..........quite the home run Michael!

ekimnamyr
11-04-2014, 07:11 PM
So awesome Michael, Very very nicely done,

Chip
11-04-2014, 07:51 PM
RC took all of the big fonts, so that leaves me with a simple one word statement, Fabulous!

mtylerfl
11-04-2014, 08:56 PM
Thank you very much everyone! I'm glad you will enjoy making this project!

Bigtyme
11-05-2014, 07:58 AM
Super design, Michael and the finish is awesome. What a great holiday project, but to me it would work year round in any cabin get-away....

I also liked Lawrence's guess on the sneak preview post. This carve would make an awesome weather station. I don't suspect it would need much in the way of modification and simply add a keyhole carve in the back and it would look great hanging on a wall....

dltccf
11-05-2014, 08:38 AM
Great design, Michael. I'm assuming that you also played around with the rotary jig to put some Christmas designs on the candles for an even more beautiful effect.

dave

mtylerfl
11-05-2014, 09:40 AM
I really like Lawrence's weather station idea and Connie's regarding glass tubes, as candle "surrounds". I agree that the item could be used year 'round in a cabin or wilderness-themed decor - not necessarily "just for Christmas"!

Dave, if I get time, I do plan to do rotary carving on the PVC pipes. My wife suggested a snowflake design, but a person could make just about any design (maybe even several sets of "candles" with different designs or photos?).

James RS
11-05-2014, 04:31 PM
I like this, but I'll assume it's for the newer designer not 1.87.
Anyway a thought rotary carve a acrylic cylinder and light it from underneath

lynnfrwd
11-05-2014, 05:08 PM
I like this, but I'll assume it's for the newer designer not 1.87.
Anyway a thought rotary carve a acrylic cylinder and light it from underneath

All Project of the Months will work on 1.187.

cestout
11-05-2014, 05:40 PM
Very interesting finishing technique! I assume the shellac allows the stain to stick more than the acrylic of urethane would. I usually put on a coat of urethane before I paint lettering of other details.
Clint

mtylerfl
11-05-2014, 08:54 PM
Hi Clint,

I mainly use shellac because it dries fast and I can build numerous thin coats very quickly. I'm sure urethane would work just fine too.

dltccf
11-25-2014, 03:40 PM
I just finished carving this project. Even without the finishing yet I can tell it is going to be beautiful. Great job Michael. I'll post a picture when mine is done.

dave

mtylerfl
11-26-2014, 05:55 AM
Thanks, Dave. We all look forward to seeing your pics!

(Wife and I are waiting at philly airport for the final leg of our flight back home. It's good to be back in the US...just in time for Thanksgiving.)

PDunn
11-26-2014, 07:35 AM
7307273073these are great gifts , even with a twist

dltccf
11-26-2014, 03:39 PM
I just got the stain on and it already looks great.

mtylerfl
11-26-2014, 05:33 PM
You guys are doing such a great job! I like the variations too!