PDA

View Full Version : Quality issues with PNG import - preview of pattern looks good actual pattern not so

Ton80
11-03-2014, 06:54 AM
I have worked up a logo for carving using GIMP. When I import the file to Designer ( 1.187 still ) the preview looks great and exactly what I expected to see. However, once the pattern is imported and placed onto a project board, some areas start to show artifacts not present on the preview screen.

Is there a reason for this. I suppose I need to upload the files so someone can test this out. For now, here are two screenshots. One is the preview screen from the file import and the other is the pattern on a project board. Notice the differences in the wings. There are a few other areas that show this type of quality loss. I am selecting BEST for bit optimization.

72607The pattern on the project board

72608The pattern preview from the import screen

CNC Carver
11-03-2014, 07:02 AM
Try setting board setting to grey in the project. It might just be the grain of the project boardthat is causing the lines.

Ton80
11-03-2014, 07:12 AM
Here is the Pattern file. When opened in the the P.E. program you can see none of those artifacts are visible between the feathers that you see when placed on the project board.

I can't attach the file so it's in my Dropbox folder - LINK (https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/5361268/Liverpool%20Football%20Club%20FINAL.mpw)

Ton80
11-03-2014, 07:14 AM
Try setting board setting to grey in the project. It might just be the grain of the project boardthat is causing the lines.

Did that after I took the screenshot and no improvement. I just added a link to the actual pattern file which can be opened in the PE and then someone can place it on a project board and see if you have the same results.

DickB
11-03-2014, 08:04 AM
I suspect the issue is the size of the pattern. If the width between the feathers in the wings is less than or close to 1/16", you are going to get some distortion. I think you are at the limits of the 1/16" carving bit.

aokweld101
11-03-2014, 08:16 AM
Went into the pattern editor, and tried to use the blur and smooth tool and put the settings on three and still got the ridges in the feathers maybe to get these out of there it might be a job for the sculpture program.

Proctorw
11-03-2014, 08:18 AM
If you have pattern editor, those are pretty easy fixes. You can make the "Bumps" all the same color, or you can try some of the filters. I have had the same issues. It takes about 10 minutes in Pattern Editor to clean it up.

FWMiller
11-03-2014, 08:25 AM
I second the guess that those lines in the wings are to narrow for the carving bit. I see that type of aberration often when doing small carvings. If you do an experiment and make the pattern larger you will probably see it go away.

SteveNelson46
11-03-2014, 09:20 AM
The problem is caused by the geometry of the carving bit. Setting the bit optimization to none and the draft to small may help.

bjbethke
11-03-2014, 09:21 AM
Here is the Pattern file. When opened in the the P.E. program you can see none of those artifacts are visible between the feathers that you see when placed on the project board.

I can't attach the file so it's in my Dropbox folder - LINK (https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/5361268/Liverpool%20Football%20Club%20FINAL.mpw)

Hi, I think the background is messing this up, I remove the background and it looks better. I can send you the PTN file if you "PM" me your e-mail. BJB

Ton80
11-03-2014, 09:26 AM
Hey guys, thanks for the replies so far. The pattern is actually going to be doubled in scale so maybe those problem areas will go away. I had not thought about the bit geometry being an issue. I will definitely take a look at this again at the proper scale when I get home.

Ton80
11-03-2014, 09:28 AM
Hi, I think the background is messing this up, I remove the background and it looks better. I can send you the PTN file if you "PM" me your e-mail. BJB

Hey BJB, I will PM you when I get home. Can't seem to figure out how to pm you from tapatalk app. Thanks :)

cestout
11-03-2014, 01:53 PM
Set the pattern in a carved out area the same depth as the pattern.
Clint

Ton80
11-03-2014, 09:07 PM
Thanks again for the replies. Turns out it was the bit geometry and the size of the pattern on that initial project board. The actual project will span two boards and the pattern will be scaled up to 18" wide. Bringing it up to size was the ticket to seeing a nice clean rendering like I saw in the preview screen show at the point of import. I will keep this in mind for the next time.

John