PDA

View Full Version : Next Project - Not quite finished

oscarl48
11-02-2014, 05:40 PM
Sorry I haven't finished the project but I really wanted to share what I have managed to do so far. I am off on a business trip and won't have a chance to work on this for at least a week I am really excited on how this project is looking.

It is a medium sized ( 30x22x18 ) blanket chest made with Purple heart, Maple and African Padauk. I have the front and side panels and joined them today. I finished the top carving today as well. It was my longest carve so far at 3 hours. Thankfully it went smooth as butter. Not a single issue. When I get back I will start assembling the chest. I was surprised how wonderfully the Padauk carves though I shouldn't be because it cuts beautifully as long as you have good sharp carbide blades. The Padauk will darken within a year or two to a reddish dark brown that is almost black. I did use a brand new bit to carve it. Though its probably not brand new anymore. ;)

The images are from the NicPic collection that can be found on this forum. They carved pretty impressively as you can see. I really like how the coy pond looks. The pictures don't do the carvings justice. I can't wait to see the piece when I apply the poly.

Next pics hopefully of the finished piece in two weeks when I get back from the trip and have a chance to work on it some more.

oscarl48
11-02-2014, 05:49 PM
Also even when carvings go bad you end up with something resembling art. After I cut this board I left it out for a few weeks and it preceded to develop a nice twist. I failed to notice and put in the CW without addressing it on the jointer. During the carving it eventually lost track on the edge and gave me some errors. When I restarted it, it ended up doing this. Still looks really cool even though not useable for the chest. May clean it up with a chisel and use it as wall art. :cool:

SharonB
11-02-2014, 11:01 PM
Exceptional designs. Looking forward to seeing it when it is finished.

zan29
11-03-2014, 06:35 AM
I can't wait either......very nice work Oscar!

oscarl48
11-08-2014, 05:17 PM
Update on the chest. Got back yesterday night so spent the day today making sawdust. I squared up the panels and joined them to the legs. Added some shadow elements to the legs and then spent some time lining the chest with cedar paneling. I glued up the top but have to wait until tomorrow to start cleaning it up and putting the hinges on. The problem is I got the wrong size hinges so will have to go and buy some new ones tomorrow. One of the many issues that come up when you build without a plan. Measure once and cut once and then figure out how to fix the last cut because you should have really measured twice and you had it backwards.

Hopefully I can finish this tomorrow. I will all add some kanji calligraphy tiles to finish the project. Laser engraving should compliment the CW carving greatly.

SharonB
11-08-2014, 05:52 PM
You can come make sawdust in my shop anytime with projects like that. It is going to take the grand prize when finished.

oscarl48
11-09-2014, 12:20 PM
Sharon,

High praise coming from you.

Finally finished this morning. Put all the pieces together and applied some tung oil. So a little shiny but it will be a satin finish when dry. This was a fun project but learned not to leave the wood out between stages for so long the hard way. You can see where some the the boards bowed a little. The clamp pressure was only able to help a little and as soon as I released the clamps the bow partly came back. Over all the CW performed really well when I replaced the bit.

The first two pictures are of the chest assembled and the next three are with the oil applied. The color exploded. I am extremely pleased on the color. Sometimes you never know what the figure will come out until you apply the finish.

The only thing left I want to do with this chest is apply some calligraphy tiles with some kanji but I will do that later so this piece is done.

Can't say this enough. Thanks to all the members on here for the patterns, advice, and assistance on this great tool.

farmer
11-10-2014, 05:36 PM
Nice Job Like the Layout!

PSQRD
11-10-2014, 09:22 PM
The contrast and design are phenomenal! Keep it up, I look forward to seeing more in the future with creativity like that.