PDA

View Full Version : Lever action Model 1874 rubber band rifle...

Geomoo1
10-29-2014, 09:24 PM
A few weeks ago I received an email with a link to a Youtube video tutorial on a lever action Model 1874 rubber band rifle. HERE (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kzh-1hUooik) is the link to the video. There is also a free download for the plans in PDF format. I was thoroughly impressed and thought it would be a fun project. I built one using a band saw and scroll saw. I then figured; Hey! Why not use the CarveWright to carve out the pieces? It took quite a while using the Import Trace Image function to make the pattern’s from the plans.

I used the snapshot function in Adobe Reader to copy each PDF page to the clipboard and imported them into Paint.net to rotate the pages counter clock wise. I then copied and pasted the rotated page into designer as a trace image. When I imported the image into designer I made the board the same size as a piece of A4 paper (8.3”W x 11.7”H) to insure keeping the correct size of the parts. I then traced the parts on the board, selected all and created another board the correct size (A4) and thickness for the plywood I was using, then copy and pasted to the new board. I then set a cut path for each piece and drilled the correct size holes where needed.
It did indeed turn out to be a very fun project. Even more so now that it is faster and way more accurate to cut the pieces on the CarveWright. It makes for a lot less sanding when the pieces fit better. It isn't finished yet. I will post a pic when it is finished.

This is going to make a perfect Christmas present for my great, great, grandson.

dltccf
10-29-2014, 10:52 PM
Wow, very cool. I would be interested in those patterns when you finish.

Dave

SharonB
10-30-2014, 12:35 AM
I'm really impressed with the time and effort that went into converting the project to a CW pattern(s). It looks like a fun project and there will be a lot of people wanting to try carving it if you make the pattern available..... me included.

edsingletary
10-30-2014, 06:10 AM
That's the part that really puts me in a tizzy, trying to put a paper pattern into a CW pattern. Love those who can do it you are blessed.

Canemaker
10-30-2014, 07:26 AM
Unbelievable, great pattern... the kids will love it. I have twin nephews that would love to own such a nice firearm. When's the pattern going to be
available? Count me in.

PSQRD
10-30-2014, 08:31 AM
Awesome! I look forward to the finished product! Count me in as well, my nephews would go crazy for something like that.

Digitalwoodshop
10-30-2014, 01:20 PM
Very Impressive....

AL

Geomoo1
10-30-2014, 02:07 PM
Thanks for the nice replies.
I am sort of reluctant to post the mpc's for this. The gentleman that designed the plans for this did a lot of work and he chooses to give the plans away instead of charging for his time and intellect invested and he requests that they not be used for profit (plans or end product). It would be a travesty if some one used them to make money against his wishes. It would irk me to no end if I posted the mpc for this project and somebody placed them for sale on e-bay or elsewhere. However, with that being said, I would consider sending them via email to those who would PM me with their email and a solemn promise to not use the end product or the plans for profit. There are only 12 mpc's relating to pages 20-32 from the PDF assembly drawings you will need to download from the Youtube site. It wouldn't hurt to download the two instructional videos also. They certainly make it easier to assemble.

bergerud
10-30-2014, 03:45 PM
You could ask him. Maybe he would be happy to see others make it. He may just require that you give him credit and post his usage message with the files.

RogerB
10-30-2014, 04:02 PM
Nice showed my grandson. Lol 13 years old he says it coooool. lol Nice plans.

cestout
10-30-2014, 06:27 PM
Did you use the 1/8 cutting bit or the 1/16?
I will try to convert it myself for the reasons you mentioned.
Clint

Geomoo1
10-30-2014, 06:39 PM
Did you use the 1/8 cutting bit or the 1/16?
I will try to convert it myself for the reasons you mentioned.
Clint

I used the 1/8th cutting bit.

atldal
10-30-2014, 08:23 PM
I would to, very neat project

tedis
10-31-2014, 05:43 AM
Count me in too!

JDPratt
10-31-2014, 08:15 AM
Really cool. That is a long way from the 2x4 we cut down in our youth.

blhutchens
10-31-2014, 08:22 AM
Yes indeed,

Check this one out. I seems no one has the dxf files for any of this stuff……
could be a market there……….

https://www.etsy.com/listing/159172047/woodworking-instruction-book-experience?ref=sr_gallery_1&ga_search_query=Rotarymek-10x&ga_view_type=gallery&ga_ship_to=US&ga_search_type=all&ga_facet=Rotarymek-10x

Brent

cestout
10-31-2014, 11:12 AM
I have mostly switched from TurboCad to Sketchup for my wood working designs. The free version - all I need for my designs - does not have a DXF export option. The pro version might, but it is quite pricy. If you download the free version, you get the pro version for (I think) 8 hours. Someone could download it a see. I am thinking that they my be using Sketchup for their designs.
Clint

Geomoo1
10-31-2014, 11:44 AM
Just a note to everyone wanting these files; I used Designer 3 to make them so if you don't have 3 they won't work for you. I will try to convert to 1.187 later if I get the time.

Ropdoc
10-31-2014, 12:33 PM
Thanks for the nice replies.
I am sort of reluctant to post the mpc's for this. The gentleman that designed the plans for this did a lot of work and he chooses to give the plans away instead of charging for his time and intellect invested and he requests that they not be used for profit (plans or end product). It would be a travesty if some one used them to make money against his wishes. It would irk me to no end if I posted the mpc for this project and somebody placed them for sale on e-bay or elsewhere. However, with that being said, I would consider sending them via email to those who would PM me with their email and a solemn promise to not use the end product or the plans for profit. There are only 12 mpc's relating to pages 20-32 from the PDF assembly drawings you will need to download from the Youtube site. It wouldn't hurt to download the two instructional videos also. They certainly make it easier to assemble.

I understand and agree with what you are saying. I am a mechanical designer and had some very important ideas stolen and sold ... however ... I LOVE THIS PROJECT. I would love to build it first for my grandson and next to sell the finished Rubberband guns. I was just getting started to lay it out in AutoCAD then Solidworks. I am not interested in selling the patterns. I would be most greatful if you shared the patterns with me. I have nothing to offer in exchange but my gratitude.

Dave

Geomoo1
10-31-2014, 02:03 PM
As promised. There is still a ton of finish work to do on each one, but at least they are assembled. One cut by hand and the other by CarveWright...

Smoken D
10-31-2014, 06:36 PM
Great Job! I watched the entire film and was really something to see.

Geomoo1
11-01-2014, 06:11 PM
if you are interested. It was a little more difficult not having the Import Trace Image function available, so having to use the old Import Image method may cause the carves to be a bit less accurate. I have received a couple of PM requests with no email addresses so, if you want me to send you the files let me know what version you want and include your email address. The 1.187 files haven't been carved yet so please let me know if there are any errors that can't be fixed by you.

chebytrk
11-01-2014, 10:09 PM
I actually have a Model 1886 45-70 Winchester that belonged to my grandfather (made in Jan 1889 according to Winchester Historian looking up the serial number). This would be very cool to make and give to my grand daughter.

Capt Bruce
11-01-2014, 10:38 PM
This is simply outstanding George and we appreciate you sharing your work to make a lot of kids happy. I have messaged you with my e-mail address and would be happy to work with the 3.0 version. Many thanks

henry1
11-02-2014, 07:24 AM
if you are interested. It was a little more difficult not having the Import Trace Image function available, so having to use the old Import Image method may cause the carves to be a bit less accurate. I have received a couple of PM requests with no email addresses so, if you want me to send you the files let me know what version you want and include your email address. The 1.187 files haven't been carved yet so please let me know if there are any errors that can't be fixed by you.
You have a private message

Mikewiz
11-02-2014, 08:03 AM
Hey George,

Got the files for 1.87 thanks for your hard work. My nephews are going to love these.

mike

Geomoo1
11-05-2014, 07:15 PM
A guy on another forum suggested that I make a Rifleman version of the gun. For you young-uns, Rifleman was a very popular TV western staring Chuck Conners. I really liked the idea so I did a little tweaking on the plans and here is the results...

CW-HAL9000
11-05-2014, 09:34 PM
Really nice revision. Great Job

Ropdoc
11-06-2014, 06:07 AM
sweet ! I can see the youngin flippin that thing and rubberbands flyin down range. Great job.

blhutchens
11-06-2014, 06:52 AM
Here is another version that might be fun too!
Steve McQueen used it in "Wanted Dead or Alive"
Woody Harelson use one in "Zombieland"

Brent

Ropdoc
11-10-2014, 11:57 AM
has anyone thought of making and selling the finished product? If you did would you sell it at?

Geomoo1
11-10-2014, 12:37 PM
has anyone thought of making and selling the finished product? If you did would you sell it at?

Ropdoc,
Here is a quote from post #8 of this thread...
"The gentleman that designed the plans for this did a lot of work and he chooses to give the plans away instead of charging for his time and intellect invested and he requests that they not be used for profit (plans or end product)."
One of the stipulations of my giving out my converted version of the plans on this forum was that those that request them promise not to sell the plans or finished product for profit.
That being said, with time, labor, material and machine costs I would sell it for no less than $150-$200.
Here is a couple of pics of the finished project...

72740 72741

Ropdoc
11-10-2014, 02:07 PM
sell the plans or finished product for profit.

I agree with not selling the plans, and I agree not selling the carvewright or converted files. I do not agree with selling the finished product. That is a hand built item being sold by the builder. I purchased the materials, cut, shaped, sanded, glued and finished the item. I should be able to sell the item I built. It has no logo from any company. If this was the case that we could not sell the item that we built then there is a huge issue from all the plans shared for free on the internet or books that are given away from free.

Please explain in detail how it is we are not able to sell something we built.

Geomoo1
11-10-2014, 03:02 PM
If the free plans from books/internet come with no stipulations or requests not to sell them or the end product, then there is no issue. I am simply adhering to the wishes of the gentleman whose intellectual property is used to make the project. As a mater of fact there are two intellectual properties involved; mine for the MPC's and the aforementioned gentleman's plans. I do not wish to argue philosophy with you, so if you do not wish to comply with our requests/stipulations, go ahead and do what you will as, I am sure, others will also. I hope you enjoy the fruits of someone else's intellectual labor.

Mikewiz
11-10-2014, 04:49 PM
George,

The finished gun you made looks great. Hope mine looks that good when done. I have four to make for Christmas presents.

Ropdoc
11-11-2014, 06:18 AM
Thank you for your time

blhutchens
11-11-2014, 06:21 AM
Ropdoc,
Here is a quote from post #8 of this thread...
"The gentleman that designed the plans for this did a lot of work and he chooses to give the plans away instead of charging for his time and intellect invested and he requests that they not be used for profit (plans or end product)."
One of the stipulations of my giving out my converted version of the plans on this forum was that those that request them promise not to sell the plans or finished product for profit.
That being said, with time, labor, material and machine costs I would sell it for no less than $150-$200.
Here is a couple of pics of the finished project...

72740 72741

Even at that price there isn't much or any "profit".
You will be basically selling it at cost.

Brent

Geomoo1
11-11-2014, 04:37 PM
Even at that price there isn't much or any "profit".
You will be basically selling it at cost.

Brent
You are correct, Brent. That would be the minimum I would even consider. I doubt any one would be willing to pay that or more for a toy. I am not planning on selling any way.

ktjwilliams
11-11-2014, 07:36 PM
Thx again George ....

Geomoo1
11-11-2014, 10:51 PM
Kevin,
You are more than welcome. I hope that those who build this project have tons of fun and satisfaction. It was my pleasure to offer it to you as well as a learning experience for me. I learned a lot about Designer while converting the plans. I was also impressed with the number of you that requested the plans. Good luck and HAVE FUN!!!

tierman
11-12-2014, 06:26 AM
Thank you George

sunmiztres
11-22-2014, 06:42 PM
Thank you George for your hard work. I really appreciate you sharing.

Icutone2
12-14-2014, 07:55 PM
Sorry posted in the wrong thread. Great Job looks like a great project for the grand kids.
Lee

Daton
07-22-2016, 04:42 AM
does anyone still have the files for this project ? im running 1.187

mhall52172
05-27-2017, 09:47 PM
I have two boys that would LOVE this! Is there anywhere to get the plans?

SteveNelson46
05-28-2017, 12:07 PM
George Moore originally adapted the plans for the Carvewright. There was a lengthy conversation about it and he authorized the sharing of the files. (https://forum.carvewright.com/showthread.php?29203-Rubber-Band-Gun-Project-Patterns&highlight=Lever+action) post # 13.

Here they are. The 1.187 version has not been test carved.

oscarl48
05-29-2017, 09:34 PM
George, I just glanced at the files. Holy cow that was a lot of work converting the patterns. Nicely done.

Steve, thanks for sharing.

I looked at RBguns website (originator of pattern) and he has some very cool designs. I need to figure out how he did the M16 gun, though its not on his website (youtube find). His MP40 design if super cool.

https://www.rbguns.com/guns/lever-action-rifle/

Just for drooling over the designs.

- O

Geomoo1
05-30-2017, 03:06 PM
Thanks, Oskarl48. It was a chore but also a fun project as well as a great learning experience.