PDA

View Full Version : Board Sensor

edsingletary
10-29-2014, 08:30 PM
So recently, say the last 6 projects, I get an error several times during the measuring process. ( clear board sensor ). So I wipe it of carefully with a clean cloth. Error again. This time I spray some air under the sensor and it works. Next project, same thing, spray air and it goes. Next project, same thing. I'm somewhat perplexed. Anyone else with a similar problem.

Also does lighting in the machine have anything to do with it. Seems dark in there. Not sure how the sensor operates..

Does masking tape help with the board sensor. What color. I tried green but I didn't notice a difference.

Uhg, so many variables.

DianMayfield
10-29-2014, 09:18 PM
I am using pretty dark blue painters tape from Harbor Freight for the bottom of my boards, so I don't think the color matters, just so the wheel has something to grab onto. On top of the board, it thinks it has reached the end where the tape is, using it to anchor a thin board to the sled. A small strip of regular white masking solves that problem. I started doing this when I saw the guy on American wood shop put shelf liner over entire boards if they were dark.

I have noticed that when I have my shop light directly over the top of the machine, I get fewer errors, and it will skip the tape and go to the end of the board.

lynnfrwd
10-29-2014, 09:20 PM
Dust will be you prominent issue. It blocks the narrow cavity that the "eye" looks through. Dust insert priority one. Second would be head pressure. Third would be color of material. Yes, masking tape...beige nothing else.

edsingletary
10-30-2014, 05:57 AM
Ok thanks guys. I will do all these things.

Digitalwoodshop
10-30-2014, 01:10 PM
To test the sensor simply place a sheet of copy paper on the board and crank down. Use sensor data to get the reading... a 156 is perfect.... Move the head along the paper watching the readings as this moves the FFC Cable and a broken wire inside the flat FFC Cable can cause reading problems. a 90 is a dirty lens as is a 256.... yes, I have gotten a 256 when my white plastic dust had gotten into the inside of the lens. My thinking is that the sensor electronics is setup with a binary logic component and 256 is the max buffer reading. I could be wrong.... but I was shocked to see 256... Rebooted the machine and got the same.... Cut the back off the sensor and cleaned the white dust and back to normal.

Dark surface wood can be a problem too... Putting masking tape on the dark wood will help. You can even lay a sheet of white paper on the board to each Y edge and when the machine goes to measure board length you can remove is as it rolls out from under the rollers. Masking tape in the final inch at the top of the board will let the length measure work and on the other end too if you do center on board.

AL

edsingletary
10-31-2014, 04:39 PM
Wow, you guys take things all apart. I'm impressed. I was using a dark walnut Wood. I will always use masking tape from now on. Connie says beige masking tape, I'm assuming she means regular tape. I have used frog but that is dark to.
Thanks for the tips.

oscarl48
10-31-2014, 05:52 PM
I am really new to CW so please take my experience for what its worth (not a whole lot). I was getting a lot of clear board sensor errors. I'd use forced air and clean the lens on the outside and the error would typically go away but a project or two it would come back. It was incredibly frustrating. I finally got brave and removed the sensor (two screws and a connector plug) and discovered some sawdust had gotten in there and would block the sensor. The forced air would eventually shift the sawdust and let me use it but the sawdust would settle back in front of the sensor sooner or later. Just understanding this and how to make the error go away has reduced my frustration level immensely. Good luck.

edsingletary
10-31-2014, 06:51 PM
Wow. I guess I need to belly up to the bar and try taking that sensor off to clean it. You have the exact same symptoms described as mine thanks oscarl

Digitalwoodshop
10-31-2014, 08:16 PM
Something to be aware of with the board sensor....

1. As you pull and push the white plug, a few users have snapped off one of the little electronic components off of the board... It is either a resistor or capacitor... The good thing is that it has a white box around the components so you will know when one is gone.

2. By tugging down on the wires to get better access to the plug many have pulled the wires down where they get cut by the sharpe metal edge and short to ground....

See Pictures... I recommend buying a extra 4 wire cable so you can test by plugging a new sensor in at the TOP to test.... Cuts the frustration down...

Good Luck,

AL