PDA

View Full Version : head Pressure issue

atldal
10-27-2014, 06:49 PM
I have a newer CW machine and am having issues with the head pressure. I have cleaned and lubed the machine as well as adjusting the 4 posts per the manual. I still only get around 60 LBS of pressure. Any other way to make this pressure better?

fwharris
10-27-2014, 07:06 PM
A couple of things to try.

Remove the crank handle and spring that is on the shaft. With a small tip screw driver work some grease in behind the clutch washer on the clutch.

With the crank handle out notice and take count of the number of the thin washers on the shaft. If the grease behind the washer does not bring the pressure up you can add more thin washers to the shaft. To get extra washers you will need to remove the top black end covers on the end of the machine. Extra washers are on the top of the corner posts. Uses the ones on the right side corner posts (as you are looking at the key board). You should only need one or two.

Digitalwoodshop
10-28-2014, 12:58 PM
My take on this is a little different... as usuAL....

I wish there was a standard test to check the calibration of the "Click" on the hand crank... something like a torque wrench to measure the handle release point... something simple like the white paper board sensor standard....

Because I believe most pressure related issues are actually the result of the mechanical drag of the parts before the click clutch and the clutch is releasing at the proper poundage. It is the additional drag of 4 sleeve bearings on the smooth rods and a dirty jacking screws. Even a un level head can twist the wide sleeve bearings causing friction that subtracts from what scale see's at the board.

So it is MY opinion that before you mess with the clutch you should first do a big cleaning job running some thin oil down through the 4 sleeve bearings removing the built up crud of sawdust and dryed out lubrication. Also clean and lubricate the 2 jacking screws and check the drive train under the machine for sawdust in the 90 degree gear boxes... Then a final check for level.... THEN if all else fails start messing with the crank click clutch...

Just my 2 cents....

AL

bergerud
10-28-2014, 01:15 PM
To get extra washers you will need to remove the top black end covers on the end of the machine. Extra washers are on the top of the corner posts.

Is that what those washers are for!! I always wondered about them. Thanks Floyd.

Bigtyme
10-28-2014, 01:15 PM
I agree with Al. I had some head pressure issues early on and found a good solid cleaning really helped and taught me early to keep things as clean and maintained as possible....

Digitalwoodshop
10-28-2014, 09:38 PM
Is that what those washers are for!! I always wondered about them. Thanks Floyd.

And I thought the long lost washers were to raise the whole cover up.... Learn something NEW every day.... It is likely in the Operation Manual... :), :), :)..

AL

fwharris
10-28-2014, 09:51 PM

I found out back when I first started. The tech in the call center had me install a couple to get my head pressure up. I think it puts more pressure on the clutch plate.

bergerud
10-28-2014, 10:28 PM
Not in the manual then? Another undocumented jewel of CW knowledge. I wonder if the new C machines have the stash of shim washers on the posts as well.

fwharris
10-28-2014, 10:35 PM
Not in the manual then? Another undocumented jewel of CW knowledge. I wonder if the new C machines have the stash of shim washers on the posts as well.

In the head pressure adjustment pdf http://www.carvewright.com/assets/service/Service_instructions/CarveWright_service_adjust_head_pressure.pdf It does point out the washers in the section on dealing with to high of pressure.

But nothing about them in the low head pressure section.

Gary Koval
10-29-2014, 06:01 AM
I couldn't find them on the posts of my CX machine
Gary

SteveNelson46
10-29-2014, 11:44 AM
I have a newer CW machine and am having issues with the head pressure. I have cleaned and lubed the machine as well as adjusting the 4 posts per the manual. I still only get around 60 LBS of pressure. Any other way to make this pressure better?

For quite some time the head pressure was low on my machine. I tried all of the recommended procedures but, to no avail. I finally decided to dis-assemble the clutch assembly to see if everything was okay and discovered the crank torque plate (MWM P1085) was split in half. I replaced it with one from my spare parts machine and everything seems okay now. I have never heard of this problem before or since and I don't know why, how, or when it broke.

bergerud
10-29-2014, 11:57 AM
I have heard of the plate cracking before.

blhutchens
10-29-2014, 12:44 PM
For quite some time the head pressure was low on my machine. I tried all of the recommended procedures but, to no avail. I finally decided to dis-assemble the clutch assembly to see if everything was okay and discovered the crank torque plate (MWM P1085) was split in half. I replaced it with one from my spare parts machine and everything seems okay now. I have never heard of this problem before or since and I don't know why, how, or when it broke.

I had one break on me. I think it was done on assembly. I over torqued it before I knew exactly how it worked. if it is not aligned when you tighten it, it will break.

Brent