PDA

View Full Version : Strange ridge on my second litho

Bob Victor
10-27-2014, 03:13 PM
Just completed my second litho. When finished I noticed a ridge at the top. I first thought it was something in the photo and pattern I used. None was visible. The ridge is like the carving bit did not carve as deep as the field it was carving. I did not notice anything strange while it was carving. The only thing I did was to raise the cover to vacuum the corian shavings. The DC insert doesn't seem to vacuum very well when doing corian. I wouldn't think lifting the cover and pausing the carve would cause the ridge.

lynnfrwd
10-27-2014, 03:32 PM
Just completed my second litho. When finished I noticed a ridge at the top. I first thought it was something in the photo and pattern I used. None was visible. The ridge is like the carving bit did not carve as deep as the field it was carving. I did not notice anything strange while it was carving. The only thing I did was to raise the cover to vacuum the corian shavings. The DC insert doesn't seem to vacuum very well when doing corian. I wouldn't think lifting the cover and pausing the carve would cause the ridge.

Vacuuming a machine while it is on will FRY your electronics. Don't do it!!

bergerud
10-27-2014, 03:41 PM
I would think corian shavings on the z rails is the problem. Open the cover and the truck rolls up and then down collecting more shavings??

mtylerfl
10-27-2014, 03:46 PM
Vacuuming during a project run can be risky...you may have noticed that the vacuum hose is charged with static electricity almost immediately when sucking up sawdust and/or plastic.

As an alternative, use a small paint brush and small toy plastic shovel (or equivalent) to sweep the debris into when stopping the machine periodically during a run. You may already know to NEVER use the cover to stop your machine...you must press the red Stop button (once!!) to allow the machine to correctly pause the project. Then open the cover, sweep, close cover, then press the green button to resume.

Bob Victor
10-27-2014, 04:05 PM
Lesson learned..My mistake using the cover to pause the carve. I'm bad.... As usual very good advice from all.... Thanks