PDA

View Full Version : Jagged carve with sweep tool

dltccf
10-24-2014, 02:28 PM
I ran into this when attempting to use the sweep tool. When you create a shape using straight lines and the lines aren't perfectly horizontal or vertical you get a "jagged" looking line in designer. When I then used the sweep tool on that shape as you see in the picture the jaggedness is carried over into the sweep and even exaggerated. I carved the piece just to see if it was an artifact of how it is displayed in the gui or if it actually would turn out that way on the wood and it does indeed carve just like it looks in designer. I tried a couple of different things to see if I could get around it. I changed the form on the line to spline and to arc to see if I could get a less jagged version of the line, but I still couldn't get a smooth line. (although I did get some new shapes that will look pretty cool on another carve) does anyone know haw to smooth out the sweep other than with sandpaper?

dave

lynnfrwd
10-24-2014, 03:09 PM
Can you send us the .mpc? What version of designer are you using?

SteveNelson46
10-24-2014, 04:06 PM
I ran into this when attempting to use the sweep tool. When you create a shape using straight lines and the lines aren't perfectly horizontal or vertical you get a "jagged" looking line in designer. When I then used the sweep tool on that shape as you see in the picture the jaggedness is carried over into the sweep and even exaggerated. I carved the piece just to see if it was an artifact of how it is displayed in the gui or if it actually would turn out that way on the wood and it does indeed carve just like it looks in designer. I tried a couple of different things to see if I could get around it. I changed the form on the line to spline and to arc to see if I could get a less jagged version of the line, but I still couldn't get a smooth line. (although I did get some new shapes that will look pretty cool on another carve) does anyone know haw to smooth out the sweep other than with sandpaper?

dave

What you are experiencing is called "aliasing". When the software attempts to correct it it's called "anti-aliasing". The computer cannot draw a diagonal line between pixels on the screen. It draws straight lines either horizontally or vertically between the pixels and the amount "jaggedness" is determined by the resolution of your video card and monitor. It also can be determined by how the software is written and how much programming effort was taken to minimize the effect. However, programming has its limits and can only go so far with low resolution graphic cards and monitors. As my grandfather would say, "you can't make a silk purse out of a sow's ear."

lynnfrwd
10-24-2014, 04:09 PM

dave

I saw on Facebook that you carved it. Did it have the jaggedness when carved? Or is it like Steve said, just a graphics card issue?

dltccf
10-24-2014, 05:48 PM
I saw on Facebook that you carved it. Did it have the jaggedness when carved? Or is it like Steve said, just a graphics card issue?

Yes, as noted in my first post, I carved it to see if it was just the screen rendering or not. It carved just like it looked on the screen with the jaggedness. If it had carved fine I wouldn't have bothered to post.

dave

dltccf
10-24-2014, 05:51 PM
Can you send us the .mpc? What version of designer are you using?

Here is the file. I am using designer 3.101

SteveNelson46
10-24-2014, 06:58 PM
Here is the file. I am using designer 3.101

It is definitely aliasing. If you straighten one of the lines that make up the cross to exactly horizontal or vertical the jaggedness goes away. I have a high end graphics card and it's doing the same for me so it looks like the Designer isn't handling it very well and I don't know if it will carve as shown on the screen without a test carve.

bergerud
10-25-2014, 01:00 AM
Sweep and rail sweep have always been this way.

mtylerfl
10-27-2014, 10:30 AM
Yes, as noted in my first post, I carved it to see if it was just the screen rendering or not. It carved just like it looked on the screen with the jaggedness. If it had carved fine I wouldn't have bothered to post.

dave

Hi Dave,

Would you mind taking a photo (or two) of the finished carve and posting them? I want to see how the carve came out with the 'stepping'. Also, do you recall what the quality setting you used when you uploaded to the memory card (Normal-Best-Optimal)?

dltccf
10-27-2014, 11:08 AM
Hi Dave,

Would you mind taking a photo (or two) of the finished carve and posting them? I want to see how the carve came out with the 'stepping'. Also, do you recall what the quality setting you used when you uploaded to the memory card (Normal-Best-Optimal)?

Sure, I'll take some pictures tonight when I get home. I carved it at best.

dave

SteveNelson46
10-27-2014, 01:08 PM
Sweep and rail sweep have always been this way.

I tried to duplicate the problem with different shapes and although you can see some "stair-stepping" in the side walls the effect seems to be minimal on the main sweep. I just finished a carve that had a "revolve" dish in the center and it did require a fair amount of sanding but, I didn't notice any stair-stepping.

mtylerfl
10-27-2014, 06:53 PM
Sure, I'll take some pictures tonight when I get home. I carved it at best.

dave

Thanks, Dave. I'm looking forward to seeing the photos.

dltccf
10-27-2014, 07:18 PM
Ok here are the pics. As you can see, just like the gui the perfectly vertical or horizontal is smooth. The other is not.

mtylerfl
10-28-2014, 07:55 AM
Thank you for posting the photos, Dave.

dltccf
10-29-2014, 02:12 PM
Just for fun I did a make pattern on the jagged cross (the old jagged cross:-)) and then opened the pattern in sculpter. It appeared to do a great job cleaning it up with the smooth tool. I couldn't save it and try it because I only have the demo. But here is a couple a screenshots to show what it did.

I'm not sure whether we should take it as "look at the great capabilites of the new software" or "it shows that the extrude should be able to do it right". Perhaps both.

dave