PDA

View Full Version : Ideas on box for 2 litho's

astrouse
10-18-2014, 09:56 PM
I am doing 2 litho's for a person of a wedding invitation and picture. Does anybody have any ideas on how to put 2 of them together into 1 display?

Thanks...

Canemaker
10-19-2014, 01:18 AM
Do you want functional, extravagant or cost effective?

A simple square box with a litho facing opposing sides would be simple and cost effective. You could enhance the pleasure by placing the box atop a stand with a 3" lazy susan so it could be viewed from either side with a turn of the box. And of course you could take it a step further and trim out the box with dovetails and molding if you want to get fancy. Your dream is the limit in details especially what you can add with your cw.

This was an early mpc so the height and depth will need to be adjusted whether you are using a 1/2 or 1/4" piece of material.. but you will get the picture.

Play with this mpc of the simple frame I made with my image in the middle and carved out as one piece on corian.... play, change to your needs. Simple, yet elegant.. I took this carving and placed it on small stand for a window. I also enhanced the carving on the corner with just a touch of paint. They loved it...
Total carving time was 1:27, there's nothing saying you can't put both images on one litho top and bottom or even merge them together in a layer effect..
(sorry, I'm thinking back to my photography days of darkroom techniques)...but who says it wont work until you try.

Good luck and let me know how it turns out.

John

Canemaker
10-19-2014, 11:45 AM
I can't find the pictures of a simply box I made that could be easily converted into a two sided project so I'll draw it out in words:

If I am using a 5x7 litho, I make the box 6x8 that allows an 1/2" reveal on all four sides of the litho giving it a custom frame, which
I add a very small molding.

I take two boards being the sides and make a 1/4" vertical dado cut 1/2" from the front and back on both sides. This allows me
to simply slide the 1/4" litho into the slots making a square box. (Very simple) Glue to bottom and hinge the top for access to light
the lithos.

Dress it up as needed.

Simple, yet elegant.

John

zan29
10-19-2014, 08:23 PM
Here's how I did one a while back. With light diffuser that you can purchase at Homedepot.com.........it works great.