PDA

View Full Version : Carving bit sticks in Rock Chuck

djarboe
10-18-2014, 11:19 AM
I've noticed that after a carving, it is very difficult to get the bit out of the Rock Chuck. Any suggestions?

Digitalwoodshop
10-18-2014, 11:23 AM
Sometimes I need to rotate the bit that has a flat spot on it that sometimes gets caught in the Rock. I have also had bits that have a clear coating on them that causes sticking too. So the bit is slightly bigger than normal.

AL

CarverJerry
10-18-2014, 11:43 AM
Make sure everything is clean, the collet and up inside the chuck it's self.

djarboe
10-18-2014, 11:48 AM
How do you recommend cleaning? I am in the midst of an 11 hour carving, the last part will be with the cutting bit. I first need to get the bit out, and then I can properly clean the chuck.

Make sure everything is clean, the collet and up inside the chuck it's self.

djarboe
10-18-2014, 11:52 AM
Actually the Rock Chuck folks sent me a photo of how to position the QC bit. However, I can try a narrow wrench on the flat spot, and hold the chuck. You have sparked an idea in my mind... what's left of it.

My next carving and cutting bits will come from the Rock Chuck folks. As a bonus, their carving bit has four flutes, not just two.

Thanks!

Sometimes I need to rotate the bit that has a flat spot on it that sometimes gets caught in the Rock. I have also had bits that have a clear coating on them that causes sticking too. So the bit is slightly bigger than normal.

AL

CarverJerry
10-18-2014, 03:23 PM
Once you get the tool out of the chuck, remove the collet, (the actual part that holds the bit and goes into the Rock Chuck) clean it inside and out either with compressed air or a good brush, make sure there is no wood chips in the slots or inside, also make sure where the tool goes in the collet there isn't any kind of buildup and that it is smooth. In your case make sure the Rock Chuck is also clean. If you look inside the chuck you will see the part that tightens against the collet as the allen screw is tightened, this collet has to be positioned so when tightened it will make the collet grip the tool. Another pointer is to check the size of the cutting bit, it should slide in and out of the collet with out any force, you may have an oversized tool. When you first got the Rock Chuck did you have any issues changing tools? The carving bit should measure .250 in diameter. Should be right on size. Hope this helps.

djarboe
10-18-2014, 07:16 PM
Well, to my surprise, the bit came right out. Now a new problem... when the 11 hour carving was done, and I put in the cutting bit, I got this error: Z axis stall, error code E06-0313. So I let it cool down, and made a new pattern with only the cutout path. It measured the board, etc. and the cutting head went up and down, and then gave the same error code. What the heck is going on here? I must be very dumb.