PDA

View Full Version : Glue up

edsingletary
10-17-2014, 07:03 PM
For years I have used a biscuit cutter and wood biscuits to joint severl boards. That was before I started using a CW machine. Now I'm finding if I'm not really careful on placement of the biscuits I will have a really nasty looking carve if I get into one of them. Looks terrible on Walnut. Does everyone use biscuits for jointing or is there another way I have yet to learn. Pegs and dowels can also have a negative effect. Do I need to just plan my projects better.

Thanks Ed

blhutchens
10-17-2014, 08:15 PM
I biscuit joint after carving. I also have a cutter for my shaper that is like a finger jointing.
i have not used it on any carvings, but I have built many raised panel doors with it.
there are probably router bits available with that profile.

Brent

SteveNelson46
10-17-2014, 08:53 PM
For years I have used a biscuit cutter and wood biscuits to joint severl boards. That was before I started using a CW machine. Now I'm finding if I'm not really careful on placement of the biscuits I will have a really nasty looking carve if I get into one of them. Looks terrible on Walnut. Does everyone use biscuits for jointing or is there another way I have yet to learn. Pegs and dowels can also have a negative effect. Do I need to just plan my projects better.

Thanks Ed
There have been many tests done with the modern aliphatic resin wood glues and it has been proven that, if the joint surface has been properly prepared, the joint is stronger than the wood. Unless you are building a chair or something that will have a lot of stress and movement, biscuits or dowels are not needed on edge to edge joints .

edsingletary
10-17-2014, 08:57 PM
That's interesting, just butt joint them together by themselves. Not sure about the glue you mentioned but will investigate. Thank you so much.

SteveNelson46
10-17-2014, 09:04 PM
That's interesting, just butt joint them together by themselves. Not sure about the glue you mentioned but will investigate. Thank you so much.

An example of aliphatic resin wood glue would be "Titebond II or Titebond III. There are many other brand names. It's the yellow wood glue we all use.

blhutchens
10-17-2014, 09:24 PM
I think the biscuits and dowels are mainly for alignment

Geomoo1
10-17-2014, 10:24 PM
I think the biscuits and dowels are mainly for alignment
You are correct on biscuits being mainly for alignment. In fact tests have proven that biscuits do not add much to the strength of a joint unless you are going end grain to end grain. Especially with the glues we use now. Just butt joint the boards and use lots of clamps and be sure to keep the boards as flat as possible while drying.

edsingletary
10-17-2014, 10:39 PM
Well, I did some quick research and found I have been using aliphatic glue for years. Titebond II is what I have been using a long time. Well there goes the biscuit cutter. Saves me time and work. Thanks guys. I appreciate the education in ALIPHATIC RESIN

dehrlich
10-18-2014, 08:19 AM
Personally I don't use anything for alignment. I start with flat stock, sometimes even still in the rough and edge glue as close as possible. Once cured, I run through planer, get one side close to surfaced, then do both sides to thickness. I know everyone says you have to joint it flat first blah blah blah, but I been doing it this way for many many years and if you start with reasonably flat stock, you end up with flat panel. If i'm doing something that ends up over the 15" that will fit through my planer, then just glue up close as possible and hand plane any areas that are off. Works for me, and i'm very picky about my work. Just sayin. Oh, and Titebond glue is the best. I have tried that new Nexbond stuff, a thick CA type glue and it works great but sets up too fast for my taste in most cases.

Digitalwoodshop
10-18-2014, 10:07 AM
NYW Norm used biscuits for years and quit using them. Near the end of his run He was visiting a place that had a dining room table that was done years earlier. He pointed out the biscuits recesses in the table top where the swelled up biscuit had dried and shrunk the surface wood. So along with the Beech Wood showing up in a Carve Region you have shrinkage.

fwharris
10-18-2014, 12:42 PM
Just got this in an email ... http://ezine.woodworking.com/GluingTechniques/index.html

Canemaker
10-18-2014, 04:42 PM
Floyd,thanks for the titebond video, great video, I'm going to put it in my keep file.
I'm afraid to say what I have been doing... not even old school. Keep on learning.

fwharris
10-18-2014, 06:25 PM
Floyd,thanks for the titebond video, great video, I'm going to put it in my keep file.
I'm afraid to say what I have been doing... not even old school. Keep on learning.

No problem, I thought it was one of those timely emails for this discussion.

I do all of my edge squaring on the table saw with a jig.

edsingletary
10-18-2014, 08:18 PM
Wow. That's a neat trick plane 2 at once to match up. I love this forum. Always learn something new. Good bye biscuits.

edsingletary
10-18-2014, 08:27 PM
Wow guys, thanks all for your input, I wasn't even going to post this question to start with, thought it was a dumb question. Glad I asked. Experience is the best teacher and I'm glad to be a part of your experience. Thanks so very much.

NLAlston
05-18-2015, 09:02 PM
Just got this in an email ... http://ezine.woodworking.com/GluingTechniques/index.html

Great Information.