PDA

View Full Version : Optimal hardware for designer etc

PSQRD
10-17-2014, 12:21 PM
Been having a lot of problems with designer and the importers on my Mac decided to go out looking for a px laptop. While the faq lists minimal requirements for designer it doesn't list optimal. I'm not a computer buff but I know a little. Should I be looking for an integrated or designated processor, what type of ram etc? Sole purpose for this laptop will be designer and STL / dxf importers - basically all for the carvewright to run software as seemless as possible. Any expertise provided would be appreciated.

CW-HAL9000
10-17-2014, 01:12 PM
Most pc's or laptops in the medium price range will work ($500 to $900). Do not do any chromebooks etc. The more ram the better and a good video card will help more than anything. I still use a 6 year old gateway laptop and have no problems whatsoever. I have 4 gigs ram and a good (for that time period) gaming video card. New laptops and PC's have exceeded the needs of most software out there as advances continue beyond the needs. Here is a good beginners article for laptops.

http://www.komando.com/buying-guides/12644/buying-a-pc-laptop/all (http://www.komando.com/buying-guides/12644/buying-a-pc-laptop/all)

PSQRD
10-17-2014, 04:31 PM
I'm tracking on the no chrome books, completely different operating system. In regards to the graphics card would a designated graphics card be more appropriate to make the software run seamless or would integrated suffice? I've owned a few computers/laptops before making the Mac transition and honestly aside from Designer my Mac does overall very well. All that being said if I'm going to go and spend the money for a laptop to keep myself from spending longer on the project then I have to it's with "seamlessness" in mind. I figure the occasional hour glass is inevitable but to have to constantly wait - those little moments add up to me spending much longer on a design then I need to. The learning curve is always there and always will be, I'd also like to get more into the pattern design side of things to include 3d design in other programs I've been scouting out but when lag and crashes are constant frustration comes much, much faster. Not sure if my last post was specific enough, I by no means am a "techie" is what I meant but I am familiar with them. Also opinion on AMD or Intel processors? Thank you again, and Hal thank you for the article and input!
Paul