PDA

View Full Version : Height/Depth

Mike1
10-16-2014, 08:22 AM
I though I was getting the grasp on height and depth, but NO. I understand depth. But I seem to be carving way too much material away and taking much longer to carve. I believe it is the height that I am having trouble with. If I am carving a cutout on a 1 inch board and I would like it to be close to the 1 inch thick, what would I set my height at? My last one I set at 999 and I carved almost 1/2 the material away. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

DickB
10-16-2014, 08:43 AM
Post your mpc.

CW-HAL9000
10-16-2014, 11:57 PM
Look at this thread for a good explanation. http://forum.carvewright.com/showthread.php?12978-Please-Help-Me-Understand-Height-Setting&highlight=height+depth

Mike1
10-17-2014, 08:46 AM
Thank you Dick and CW , they are good examples but it looks like I will need to do some more practice carves. I will try to post the mpc.

cestout
10-17-2014, 04:46 PM
Depth is where the bottom of the pattern is and height is how high it stands from there. If your carved out area is .375, then put your pattern at .375 (usually). To make it "pop" more increase the height, but if it stands too tall above the floor decrease the height.
Clint

ronboley
10-17-2014, 08:05 PM
I too sometimes struggle with the height/depth distinction...so when a pattern is placed in a carve region, the depth of the carve region floor area is measured from the board top surface down...the depth of the pattern (base) is measured from the board top surface down, and the height of the pattern is measured up from the base depth of the pattern, not at the floor depth of the carve region...and the height is in a number relative to 999 as full height....that's where I get really confused...does the pattern height vary by the ratio of the "height" number to 999? i.e. is a the pattern height at one hundred 1/10 as high as the pattern height at 999 (almost 1000)?

So if you have a flat carve region at 0.50", a pattern depth that is 0.40" and a pattern height at 999, the top of the pattern would be at the top of the board surface and the bottom of the pattern would be 0.10" above the carve region floor leaving a vertical surface around the pattern 0.10" high...

And it seems each pattern has a set "height" that is only changeable in designer by reducing the height number to less than 999, but no way to increase the pattern height...How is the pattern height initially set? So it seems in designer that you bring a pattern in and it has some set height?

I'll bet I'm not the only one confused ....

SteveNelson46
10-17-2014, 08:34 PM
Depth is measured from the top surface of the board to the deepest point of the pattern. Height is measured from the bottom of the pattern to the top of the pattern. Normally, when a pattern is created, the height of 100 is at the surface of the board. So, lets say you have a pattern that was created at a depth of .25". If you leave the pattern at the default settings when you place it on the board in a .25" deep carve region, the bottom of the pattern will be at .25" and the height will be set for 100 and the top most point of the pattern will be at the board surface. Now, if you change the depth of the carve region to .5" and the depth of the pattern to .5" the Designer will push the base of the pattern down to .5" and if you leave the height set at 100 it will be below the surface of the board. The top of the pattern's distance from the surface of the board can be determined by passing the mouse over the highest point and reading the measurements in the lower left corner of the Designer. A height setting of 999 is the max the software will allow but, "stretching" the vertical distance of the pattern to the surface of the board will probably be achieved at a smaller setting.

ronboley
10-18-2014, 12:18 PM
Steve: Thank you for that explanation...playing around with a sample pattern...it makes sense. One very informative thing is about the depth (of carve surface) being tracked as you move the cursor around. How I never noticed the running tracking of the X,Y,Z in the lower left hand corner of designer is beyond me...so you said when the pattern is created the surface of the board is "normally" at height = 100. Is that something that can be varied during the pattern creation? I see depth settings in the pattern editor but no height adjustment...maybe I'm missing it...I don't know of a reason to change it but who knows...

SteveNelson46
10-18-2014, 06:09 PM
Steve: Thank you for that explanation...playing around with a sample pattern...it makes sense. One very informative thing is about the depth (of carve surface) being tracked as you move the cursor around. How I never noticed the running tracking of the X,Y,Z in the lower left hand corner of designer is beyond me...so you said when the pattern is created the surface of the board is "normally" at height = 100. Is that something that can be varied during the pattern creation? I see depth settings in the pattern editor but no height adjustment...maybe I'm missing it...I don't know of a reason to change it but who knows...

I don't think the height can be set when making a pattern. It's always at the top of the board when created. Interestingly, if the height is lowered to a value below 100 before making the pattern, the depth will be adjusted automatically to make the pattern even with the surface of the board when the pattern is created.