PDA

View Full Version : Pattern Sculptor

lynnfrwd
10-15-2014, 12:29 PM
We are announcing our new Pattern Sculptor a sculpting and editing software tool for 3d relief carvings.

Check it out here: http://www.carvewright.com/pattern-sculptor/

DickB
10-15-2014, 12:55 PM
Cool. I think a touchpad might be good with this tool. Or a touchscreen.

eelamb
10-15-2014, 01:10 PM
Looks very nice from the video, a worthy tool to have.

lynnfrwd
10-15-2014, 04:22 PM
If you are going to use it with Designer 3, you will need to upgrade to the latest update (released today), which is Designer 3.101.

Pattern Sculptor can be "played with" in demo mode no matter what version of Designer you have, there is just no integration between the two.

cestout
10-15-2014, 05:38 PM
Down side, now it is going to cost me $600 to upgrade - 3.whatever, DXF Importer and Sculptor
Clint

lynnfrwd
10-15-2014, 05:53 PM
Down side, now it is going to cost me $600 to upgrade - 3.whatever, DXF Importer and Sculptor
Clint

$600 - $200 (because DXF Importer has nothing to do with Pattern Sculptor) = $400

$400 - $200 (you already have STL Importer, which means you could use Pattern Sculptor as a stand alone without 3.whatever) = $200 to purchase Pattern Sculptor.

Unless these are all things that are just on your wishlist, but not necessary due to our new product release.

edsingletary
10-15-2014, 07:31 PM
Is this not similar to 3 D I just bought . Do I have to have the dxf importer also. This machine is getting more expensive all the time. Wish I waited a little longer on the 3D software I just bought. Wow.

lynnfrwd
10-15-2014, 07:40 PM
It is not a replacement for 3d pattern modeling suite. It is closer to pattern editor functions.

CW-HAL9000
10-15-2014, 08:46 PM
when I got the email today I knew what the price would be.

lynnfrwd
10-15-2014, 09:54 PM
I knew you would mention that CW-HAL9000. I thought about you when i saw it.

dltccf
10-16-2014, 11:55 AM
when I got the email today I knew what the price would be.

LOL, I thought exactly the same thing when I saw the email too.

dave

lynnfrwd
10-16-2014, 12:01 PM
Makes it easier for us to remember....

CNC Carver
10-16-2014, 12:12 PM
If we have current designer will sculptor import STL or do you need to also have the STL import software addon also for that function to work?

lynnfrwd
10-16-2014, 12:27 PM
To import an .stl file into Sculptor, you do not need Designer's STL Importer. You would then select Export to PTR for opening in Designer 3.101.

kcc2012
10-16-2014, 12:46 PM
I have been looking into that will help me work with fairly large STL's some which are over 650,000 KB. The STL importer gives me a GUI error and shuts down every time I try to open one that large. Will Pattern Sculptor handle large files like this?

Thank You
Ambrose Stapleton

jlovchik
10-16-2014, 01:56 PM
Yes, Sculptor can handle very large STL files. The demo is free to download and try. http://www.carvewright.com/pattern-sculptor/download-pattern-sculptor/

kcc2012
10-16-2014, 02:01 PM
I down loaded it but couldn't import anything I guess ill have to read the manual.

SteveNelson46
10-16-2014, 03:22 PM
I down loaded it but couldn't import anything I guess ill have to read the manual.

Click on the file menu (1st pic), and select "Load". Navigate to the file on your computer, select it, and click on "Open". Then, click on the green "Accept" button (2nd pic) and then click on the "Accept" button on the left (3rd pic)

ktjwilliams
10-17-2014, 01:48 PM
Is this not similar to 3 D I just bought . Do I have to have the dxf importer also. This machine is getting more expensive all the time. Wish I waited a little longer on the 3D software I just bought. Wow.

Not much concern for their customers,,, They sold me 2.0 two weeks before they released 3.0 !!!! Instead of saying, Hey wait 2 weeks, we have something you may be interested instead,, would-a been easy since I did it on the phone,, and I would-a been a happy customer ... But no... Then they think I'm a happy Customer ?? Now this nice piece of software ... And guess what,,, You can only use it with 3.XX .. Instead of just updating pattern editor to this level,,,, Nope .... So 2.0 is the last piece of software I will ever buy from them ... Fun machine ,, nice community of people here on the forum and then LHR that just wants to take every penny outta your pocket ... I didn't mind paying for updates and upgrade software every once in a while and planned to keep upgrading until I had all the softwares .. But that 2.0 deal left a really bad taste in my mouth,, so I'll just work with 2.0, Centerline and Conforming vectors ... This would-a jumped to the top of my list if I didn't have this taste lingering ..

CW-HAL9000
10-17-2014, 02:18 PM
Of all the add ons besides centerline text this looks like the first that I want to buy versus have to buy for a paying customer project. But once again you cant just buy this. In order to get your work into designer you have to either buy stl importer or designer 3.0 . This makes no sense, here is a carvewright product that is of no use by itself. Why was exporting as a PTN not an option? This seems like a no brainer, unless the idea is to force you to make an additional purchase. It just seems like LHR is trying to bleed existing owners dry. I just cannot afford like some to just buy everything LHR puts out with no questions asked. I also have to agree that this seems like an upgrade to pattern editor rather than a completely new product. I know some think all I do is complain about LHR but not being able to use this program without buying something else seems like a bad decision.

ktjwilliams
10-17-2014, 02:58 PM
I tried this demo sculpture,, unless you have a very good image to begin with,, it doesn't work as easy as the video makes it seem..

edsingletary
10-17-2014, 03:33 PM
Nothing is what it seems these days. Chin up, keep going. It's only money. Lol.

cestout
10-17-2014, 04:29 PM
Connie,
It will work with my 2.07?
Clint

cestout
10-17-2014, 04:32 PM
I this the fix for the Rotate-Tweek too that never worked in the Pattern Editor?
Clint

lynnfrwd
10-17-2014, 05:20 PM
Connie,
It will work with my 2.07?
Clint

Because you already own STL Importer, you can use the Pattern Sculptor as a stand alone (until you are ready to upgrade to 3.0). From Pattern Sculptor, you will import the file, use the tools to make your changes, and then Export as an STL file. Use your STL Importer to then bring it into a Designer 2.07 format.

edsingletary
10-17-2014, 06:38 PM
KTJ , I think the way it should of went, being in business myself for 40 years. LHR has developed an upgrade to Pattern Editor called Pattern Sculptor. For a limited time current users of Designer and Pattern Editor can download the upgrade at a special price of only 99.99, this is a limited time offer for Designer users. Once the offer expires the price will be 199.00. LHR would of made more money and a lot less complaining by very loyal users.

kcc2012
10-17-2014, 07:59 PM
Thank you for the directions. I ended up taking a nap instead of reading the manual. I have only been successful in opening one STL which I cant open with the STL importer I have 3 that give me a runtime error with Sculptor and all four of them give me an error with the STL Importer and they close down on me.

Click on the file menu (1st pic), and select "Load". Navigate to the file on your computer, select it, and click on "Open". Then, click on the green "Accept" button (2nd pic) and then click on the "Accept" button on the left (3rd pic)

TerryT
10-17-2014, 10:28 PM
LHR has developed an upgrade to Pattern Editor called Pattern Sculptor. For a limited time current users of Designer and Pattern Editor can download the upgrade at a special price of only 99.99, this is a limited time offer for Designer users.

It should have been included in the original 3d software at the original $200.

ladjr
10-18-2014, 04:49 PM
Is the $99 special for real. I cant find anything on Carvewright web site.

SteveNelson46
10-18-2014, 05:55 PM
Is the $99 special for real. I cant find anything on Carvewright web site.

I think Ed was just commenting on how the he thought the sale of the Sculptor should have been done.

edsingletary
10-18-2014, 08:39 PM
See what I mean, the $99 promo would of worked better. Come on Connie, see if you can get that done at the next staff meeting.

lynnfrwd
10-18-2014, 09:14 PM
You overestimate my influence on those matters.

lynnfrwd
10-22-2014, 05:53 PM
You guys wanted to see Pattern Sculptor in your cart for $99.99?

Here is your chance...

https://store.carvewright.com/offers.php?mode=offer&offerid=75

(Not exactly what you asked for, but.....there you go.)

lynnfrwd
10-22-2014, 05:57 PM
You guys wanted to see Pattern Sculptor in your cart for $99.99?

Here is your chance...

https://store.carvewright.com/offers.php?mode=offer&offerid=75

(Not exactly what you asked for, but.....there you go.)

Well, they changed it on me...now it is taking $50 off each of the two software packages, instead of $100 off of one.

aokweld101
10-22-2014, 06:44 PM
Connie, is this a limited offer ?

lynnfrwd
10-22-2014, 09:57 PM
Halloween sale with purchase of 3.0 & Sculptor...save $100.

lynnfrwd
10-22-2014, 09:57 PM
Yes, limited time.

edsingletary
10-22-2014, 10:06 PM
Well, they are close, see there, you had some influence. Get Sculpter down to 99 for me and I'll get it, already have 3.0. You're getting close.

FWMiller
10-22-2014, 10:24 PM
I'd buy 3 times as much if the prices were half what they are.

bergerud
10-23-2014, 08:37 AM
Connie, is this a limited offer ?

The email says "Sale Ends November 5th, 2014"

ktjwilliams
10-23-2014, 08:54 AM
All the software combined " Everything " is only worth bout $ 400 tops ... It's hobby type stuff and quality ,, and it's for a hobby machine ...

jlovchik
10-23-2014, 09:45 AM
All the software combined " Everything " is only worth bout $ 400 tops ... It's hobby type stuff and quality ,, and it's for a hobby machine ...

Not sure what your basis for this statement is, but every tool is only "hobby stuff" when it's being used by a hobbyist. The same tool in the hands of an artist or craftsman is professional equipment. It's really the user that the terms define, not the tool. CarveWright software is by far the most affordable CNC software solution available. It has all of the same capabilities and more than anything else out there, but for a fraction of the price. The entire CarveWright System, all of it, is priced to be withing the reach of a hobbyist. That was the goal from the beginning. We were the first to do it, and we are still the most affordable and most capable CNC on the market.

CW-HAL9000
10-23-2014, 10:32 AM
While I love my CW and think it is a great machine and I think the software is worth more than $400 for everything, I do think that the emphasis on breaking the software into smaller modules and charging $199 for each module is too expensive for the average user of this machine. I think many of us choose this machine as an alternative to a $5000 machine but the price is creeping up and up and now with no upgrades to the basic software we are forced to buy the new software to keep up or even to fix bugs that remain in the basic software. The other thing that is a big problem is when things like pattern sculptor come out and you can't even use it with your carvewright unless you own the newest designer software or the stl importer thus making a $199 module into a $500 module. The LHR new method of selling software seems to be to force you to buy as much as possible. Heck there was no meaning full updates to 2.0 before 3.0 came out with a new charge for owners of CW. New modules are flying out faster than we could possibly buy them. Finally the reality is that pattern sculptor is really just an update to pattern editor but now if you buy a scanner you are stuck buying both seperately, once again forcing you to buy two modules instead of one. And Joe while I may have your attention for a minute, shipping costs are too high for most small parts you sell.

DickB
10-23-2014, 11:29 AM
I see some advantages in the modular approach. I don't need to import STL or DXF, so I haven't bought those modules. Likewise the 2D suite. If everything was bundled I might be paying more for features I don't need. That would be more like forcing one to buy everything.

BTW you don't need STL to use Pattern Sculptor.

And let's be accurate - 4 modules are $100 or less.

CW-HAL9000
10-23-2014, 12:16 PM
I see some advantages in the modular approach. I don't need to import STL or DXF, so I haven't bought those modules. Likewise the 2D suite. If everything was bundled I might be paying more for features I don't need. That would be more like forcing one to buy everything.

BTW you don't need STL to use Pattern Sculptor.

And let's be accurate - 4 modules are $100 or less.

Pattern sculptor requires STL importer or designer 3.0 otherwise you cannot use it with carvewright. stl is $199 and 3.0 is $300. The 4 modules that are $100 or less were created years ago, nothing in the last 2 years has been less than $199. I agree the STL and DXF should be add ons but most everything in the last year and a half are upgrades and most require you to buy 2.0 or 3.0 to use them meaning you must purchase 2 items to make one work.

jlovchik
10-23-2014, 01:14 PM
Lets just make a quick comparison to put things into perspective.

Vectric Aspire = $1995 + $400/year

Adobe Creative Cloud = $600/year

CarveWright Software = $0-$1400 (you get to configure the package to only what you need). If you average out all the modules and upgrades we've released for the last 7 years it averages to about $200 a year. So, if you want everything, than maybe now you'll spend $200-$400 a year.

The only other option would be to go with the Aspire type approach. A stripped down Free basic version and an expensive Pro version with a sizable annual upgrade fee. By keeping it modular you can upgrade annually for $200 and then add only what you need. It really can't get any more economical than that.

fwharris
10-23-2014, 01:15 PM
Pattern sculptor requires STL importer or designer 3.0 otherwise you cannot use it with carvewright. stl is $199 and 3.0 is $300. The 4 modules that are $100 or less were created years ago, nothing in the last 2 years has been less than $199. I agree the STL and DXF should be add ons but most everything in the last year and a half are upgrades and most require you to buy 2.0 or 3.0 to use them meaning you must purchase 2 items to make one work.

All new add on features are based on the new designer format, so true you would need the new version to take advantage.

Not true!
"Pattern sculptor requires STL importer or designer 3.0 otherwise you cannot use it with carvewright."

This is the description of Sculptor taken from the product description on the CW site.

Pattern Sculptor can be used as a Stand Alone program or will integrate with Designer 3 Upgrade. To use ALL of the features of Pattern Sculptor as displayed in the tutorials, additional software purchase may be required, such as Designer 3 Upgrade or STL Importer.
Clean Up Patterns
Whether it's a scan made with your Scanning Probe, a pattern made with the Modeling Suite, or an image or pattern imported from elsewhere, these tools allow for quick and seamless editing to correct or alter the original artwork.
Add or Remove Details
Sometimes, there are details you need in a pattern that you just can't get with the existing tools in Designer or other packages. With Sculptor, those details are a few mouse clicks away. Sculpt in fine details, raise and lower specified areas, erase parts you don't need, and so much more.
Make 3D to Relief
With so many 3D files available these days, it's nice to be able to make them into useable relief patterns. Now with Sculptor, we can make them flat and then with the tools available, edit them further to make them truly detailed.
Import and Export Directly From Designer 3
Double click on a pattern you've created in your Favorites folder and it opens in Pattern Sculptor. When you are finished editing, save it back to Designer 3 for a quick and seamless project workflow. Scans, made with the Scanning Probe, will also open into Pattern Sculptor when downloaded from your memory card.
Import and Export Directly From Sculptor
Pattern Sculptor works as a standalone software, meaning you can run it independently of Project Designer. This allows for files to be loaded straight into the software from a variety of formats, including: PNG, JPG, JPEG, BMP, OBJ, STL, SCP and PTR. You can also export OBJ or STL files from Pattern Sculptor allowing for maximum compatibility with other 3D software programs.

CW-HAL9000
10-23-2014, 01:28 PM
From your own post with a copy of description on pattern sculptor:

To use ALL of the features of Pattern Sculptor as displayed in the tutorials, additional software purchase may be required, such as Designer 3 Upgrade or STL Importer.

FWMiller
10-23-2014, 01:29 PM
I agree it's a hobbyists focused software. Professionals need efficiency and missing basic features like a simple pocket cut makes many designs take painfully long. It doesn't prevent you from making fabulous stuff, but the software still has way too many holes for the price.

fwharris
10-23-2014, 01:40 PM
From your own post with a copy of description on pattern sculptor:

To use ALL of the features of Pattern Sculptor as displayed in the tutorials, additional software purchase may be required, such as Designer 3 Upgrade or STL Importer.

And from your post "Pattern sculptor requires STL importer or designer 3.0 otherwise you cannot use it with carvewright."

CW-HAL9000
10-23-2014, 01:43 PM
Ok Im through arguing so this is my last post on this subject. How can you use pattern sculptor if you have designer 1.87 or 2.0 and do not have STL importer? Sure you can make a pattern but then what do you do with it? How do you carve it? Note, no caps, bold or yelling of any sort.

bergerud
10-23-2014, 01:58 PM
Sorry Floyd but I have to agree with Hal. Pattern Sculptor outputs .stl .obj, and .ptr. The STL importer is needed to use the .stl and Designer 3 is needed for the .ptr. Without either the STL importer or Designer 3, I cannot see how one could use a Sculptor edited pattern with the CW.

Am I missing something?

fwharris
10-23-2014, 04:58 PM
Ok Im through arguing so this is my last post on this subject. How can you use pattern sculptor if you have designer 1.87 or 2.0 and do not have STL importer? Sure you can make a pattern but then what do you do with it? How do you carve it? Note, no caps, bold or yelling of any sort.

The caps and bold type were just pointing out what part of your statement that I felt was maybe incorrect.

cestout
10-23-2014, 05:18 PM
I have 2.07 and STL importer + the scanning probe. Can Pattern Sculptor download scans or import .MPW files?
Clint

jlovchik
10-23-2014, 05:36 PM
Yes, Sculptor can download scans and No it cannot open MPW files.

lynnfrwd
10-23-2014, 05:50 PM
I have 2.07 and STL importer + the scanning probe. Can Pattern Sculptor download scans or import .MPW files?
Clint

You download a scan just like you always have through File > Download Scan, but you can edit it in Sculptor or Pattern Editor. Both have their own different features and capabilities. Despite the claim by those on here, is it NOT an upgrade to Pattern Editor.

Edsingletary said he had just bought the 3d Pattern Modeling and wished he had waited. I said it was not a replacement for 3d, it was closer in function to the Pattern Editor.

edsingletary
10-24-2014, 12:20 AM
I'm still holding out for the price to go to 99.00 for Christmas Special sale. I think it will. If not I don't need it. To much money for a retired Marine . Hey there you go Connie, veterans discount. That would work, a nice gesture.

ktjwilliams
10-24-2014, 10:15 AM
Why couldn't LHR just let sculpture make PTN files instead of a hole new class " PTR " if thats not trying to force folks to buy additional sodtware to use one upgrade to PE then I don't know what is.

lynnfrwd
10-24-2014, 10:30 AM
Why couldn't LHR just let sculpture make PTN files instead of a hole new class " PTR " if thats not trying to force folks to buy additional sodtware to use one upgrade to PE then I don't know what is.

I asked this question. There is information in a .ptn that can only be put there through Designer, such as creator information, licensing, etc. PTR is a "raw" graphic format.

mtylerfl
10-24-2014, 10:54 AM
Right, the PTR file format is NOT copy-protected! Meaning, you can share your PTR files with others who own Sculptor and they can perform any edits they wish. This is a great feature.

fwharris
10-24-2014, 11:14 AM
Sorry Floyd but I have to agree with Hal. Pattern Sculptor outputs .stl .obj, and .ptr. The STL importer is needed to use the .stl and Designer 3 is needed for the .ptr. Without either the STL importer or Designer 3, I cannot see how one could use a Sculptor edited pattern with the CW.

Am I missing something?

Ok I will eat some of my words on that one. Up until yesterday I had not down loaded the upgrade on 3.xxx or Sculptor demo. My comments were based on the info provided by CarveWright.

After doing the upgrade and working through a WTF moment of being stuck in DEMO MODE until I updated my license file this is what I have figured out. Running Sculptor as a stand alone you can export as STL to be used in any version of designer. Right? To me the STL importer would be one of the most recommended add ons to have with all of the free stl files available on the web for making new patterns for the CW.

Since I am only running Sculptor in demo I can not verify this but if one has Pattern Editor, after exporting the stl out of Sculptor and importing the stl into designer one should be able to open the new pattern with the Pattern Editor.

CW-HAL9000
10-24-2014, 12:25 PM
I asked this question. There is information in a .ptn that can only be put there through Designer, such as creator information, licensing, etc. PTR is a "raw" graphic format.

Why not make png or heightmap as an export format available through pattern sculptor so that one not need to buy 2 software modules to make one work? That would work with all versions of CW and make pattern sculptor work for even more non CW machines thus broadening the market for this software.

bergerud
10-24-2014, 12:40 PM
I have made that suggestion and am hoping for a response. It makes sense to me.