PDA

View Full Version : Importing STL"s

aokweld101
10-13-2014, 12:53 PM
I've been trying to make what I thought was easy, And I can't figure it out, I have the pattern made and imported it to the STL file but I must not be doing something right when I try to make the cut out it tells me that it's to deep I'm in need of some help, I've tried everything that I can think of... Thank you ever so much.. I used the snipping tool cause the file was to big.

bergerud
10-13-2014, 01:12 PM
I do not think you are doing anything wrong. The machine just cannot cut through a 1.5" board.

Should the board(s) not be 0.75" thick. The 1.5" made with two slices?

aokweld101
10-13-2014, 01:23 PM
I think that is where I'm missing up at, is to how to use the thickness, that is where I'm lost at where do I put that in at in order to get the cut out on the STL file?... or do I use the .75 board on the pattern and then when I import it to the STL files and make it a 1.5 and slice it at .75 in two pieces?

bergerud
10-13-2014, 01:56 PM
Actually I think there is a fundamental problem here. When you export from PE to STL, you get a single surface. The surface has no thickness. Importing a real 3d object is different. There would be a surface for the inside and a different surface for the outside. A proper STL for your candy bowl would have the top and bottom together as a single STL. Then when it is sliced, each slice would be 0.75" thick and have a front and a back.

Take this STL and slice it up. You will see what I mean. It is a solid 3d shape. Slice it in half and you can get two double sided carves 0.75" thick.

aokweld101
10-13-2014, 02:34 PM
I'm having problems with the outside cut out and the radius I have not a clue on what I'm doing wrong I have it at .75 pattern and a 1.5 pattern and cannot incorporate it into the STL file also tried turning on and off the feather tool thinking that might have something to do with it. The Elliptical pattern that you been using has a certificate of trust on it.

bergerud
10-13-2014, 02:59 PM
Certificate of trust??? Anyone else have a problem with the STL?

I must be totally confused with what you are trying to do. I thought you were trying to make a 1.5" deep candy bowl in Designer, convert it to an STL using PE, and then slice it in the STL importer so that when back in Designer, you could carve it in two halves. If this is what you are trying to do, I am saying it is very difficult because you do not get a solid STL to work with from PE.

If this is not what you are trying to do, you will have to explain exactly what is is you are tying to do.

aokweld101
10-13-2014, 03:10 PM
Yes, Dan you are correct, that is what I'm trying to do, Here is the last thing that I tried, and I would think that you could do with the programs that carvewright has to offer but than again as I've said before I have a hard head and don't see as to why it can't be done...

I

bergerud
10-13-2014, 03:33 PM
I believe it can be done but it would not be easy. You are blazing new ground here. Each of your surfaces would need to be sliced. This is made difficult by the way the importer caps openings as well as the problems of getting the right depths. A trick to beat the capping problem is flip it in the importer and then invert it in Designer.

Can you export to image (save as .png) your bowl patterns from the PE and upload them. Then I could give it a try.

cestout
10-14-2014, 05:01 PM
Easy way, if you have 2.07 of greater, would be to get long bits and skip the STL part.
Clint

SteveNelson46
10-14-2014, 09:13 PM
I've been trying to make what I thought was easy, And I can't figure it out, I have the pattern made and imported it to the STL file but I must not be doing something right when I try to make the cut out it tells me that it's to deep I'm in need of some help, I've tried everything that I can think of... Thank you ever so much.. I used the snipping tool cause the file was to big.

I have a "Veggie Tray" in the Pattern Depot that is similar to your design. If necessary, I would be happy to provide instructions on how to make it deeper with a thicker board. Like Clint said, it will be easier to just buy a 1/8" or 1/16" long carving bit and skip all of the .stl importing and slicing. I have done it and it really works nice.

aokweld101
10-15-2014, 08:01 AM
I have thought of the longer bit to do the pattern but in doing this pattern I would need both the carving and cutting bit which would be $160.00 plus shipping for a one time carve.

eelamb
10-15-2014, 01:27 PM
AOK, I sent you an STL of one 1.4" deep. I have it in .7" deep too.

SteveNelson46
10-15-2014, 03:10 PM
I have thought of the longer bit to do the pattern but in doing this pattern I would need both the carving and cutting bit which would be $160.00 plus shipping for a one time carve.

To the best of my knowledge, there is no long cutting bit. I cut it out using a pierced carve region and manual tabs. Also, the long cutting bit could be used on many other projects: Including rotaries.

aokweld101
10-15-2014, 03:28 PM
Yes Steve, I found out that there is no long cutting bit when I talked to carvewright, ..... It's when you think you know everything you don't know nothing...LOL... I need to start getting back to my humble self...:oops:

lynnfrwd
10-15-2014, 04:06 PM
Yes Steve, I found out that there is no long cutting bit when I talked to carvewright, ..... It's when you think you know everything you don't know nothing...LOL... I need to start getting back to my humble self...:oops:

Keep in mind you can use this technique with the long carving bit:

Carving Your Cutouts; No Cutting Bit Required (http://www.carvewright.com/assets/service/Tutorials/Design_Project_Carving_Cutouts.pdf) – This technique demonstrated how to carve your project all the way out of the board with using only the carving bit. This technique is perfect for doing appliques and other pieces where a bit change isn’t needed.