PDA

View Full Version : Cut outs

cjudas
10-12-2014, 12:00 PM
This may be a silly question but.... How do you "cut out" a design from a rectangular board? Everything I've done so far I have either used a band saw, table saw or router to get the shape I wanted. I know you can "cut out" your design with the machine, I just never have. I assume you just make the same outline cut over and over, just at different depths?

blhutchens
10-12-2014, 12:06 PM
Outline your pattern, select the outline and cut path tool. A menu will drop down giving you options for bit, tabs, inset and max depth of cut for multiple passes ,to flip cut, hide cutout, accept.

Brent

You can make some cool stuff using that tool

Digitalwoodshop
10-12-2014, 01:17 PM
You can use the line drawing tools, lines and arc's to hand draw a path you want. I have done some deer and bear with base this way.

A few tips.

Turn off perspective view so the center of the screen is the same as the edges with the placement of the line.
Make the art as big as you can, I use a 14 x 14 board then reduce the art in size later.
Use the connect tool in the line menu and make sure you see the previous node glow red as you connect the next.
Make sure the last line you draw connects to the node of the first line you drew. It must be connected from end to end for the cut path to be active.

Like above select cut path.

dehrlich
10-12-2014, 01:40 PM
Here's a question... i know about connecting the lines to make cut paths and all that stuff, but can you disconnect lines once they are connected? I have some vector patterns that I would like to modify or eliminate certain parts, but they are connected to a larger portion. If I could break it back apart that would be helpful.

blhutchens
10-12-2014, 01:56 PM
You can use the break tool, and remove vertex tool, then re connect.

cjudas
10-12-2014, 03:10 PM
If I outline my pattern and set the max depth will the machine automatically make the necessary cuts to go all the way thru or do I have to program it for each cut? Say I am using 3/4" wood, I know I don't want to try to cut that all in one pass. If I set max depth to 1/16" will it automatically cut multiple 1/16" cuts till clear thru?

blhutchens
10-12-2014, 05:27 PM
Yes, the software will do it. I go .25 on most wood

Digitalwoodshop
10-12-2014, 06:06 PM
Like posted above, Yes, if you use the cut path it will place tabs and in that screen you can set the depth per cut. I usually use .27 per pass.

If you have that very same vector line, you can select a bit like the 1/8th inch and select per pass cut. It WILL NOT leave tabs... I do this for my plastic tabs and I use 1/4 inch strips of double stick tape on a carrier board.

If you watched this cut you would see 2 speeds of cut. 1st gear on turns and 2nd gear on long areas. I do my cutting with a 1/16th end mill but tell the machine I am using a 1/4 inch bit. This locks the feed rate for the vector cut (Not the cut path) into 1st gear that works better for me. Same would work using a 1/8 inch cutting bit and tell the machine I am using a 1/4 inch bit.

If you try to re size your vector path and you see it going crazy one thing I do is to take my hand drawn path and make it into a carve region. Then I outline the carve region for a more trouble free vector path. You cannot rotate the path but someimes you can rotate the carve region and then outline it at the new rotated position.

And look at the Deer where I made hand drawn shallow carve regions in the leg areas for a nicer look.

AL

So to edit the confusion, there is a Cut Path where you select the Cut Path Option for a Vector Line and this gives you tabs.
Then there is a vector line and you select a bit.... This Will NOT leave tabs.

So select the Cut Path tool and the bit you are using... or just grab a bit after secting a vector line... gets confusing...

cjudas
10-12-2014, 06:33 PM
Thank you all for your assistance.

cjudas
10-12-2014, 07:53 PM
What bit can i use for cut outs?

Digitalwoodshop
10-12-2014, 08:42 PM
Any End Mill type bit that has a cutter on the end for the plunge cut.

For thinner material I have been using the Circuit Board Bits that I get on eBay and a 1/4 to 1/8 holder from the roto zip line of bits.

The bit will need to have a cutter at least .8 long.

CW-HAL9000
10-12-2014, 08:57 PM
The 1/8 inch cutting bit is the most common. Be sure and set for multiple passes I use .250 for max cutting depth. LHR also makes a 3/16 cutting bit.

Scott J. Zeiger
12-17-2014, 04:34 PM
I realize your post is old, but where did you find the bit holders? I have searched and searched and have come up empty handed.

Thanks for your time.

blhutchens
12-17-2014, 04:55 PM
Precisebits.com has some I have been using. They have some that go from 1/2 to 1/8

http://www.precisebits.com/products/equipment/collet_reducer_500.asp?tsPT=

bergerud
12-17-2014, 05:38 PM
There is also the ER11M adapter:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-1pcs-1-2...item41756bc469 (http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-1pcs-1-2-ER11-28L-Straight-collet-chuck-and-3pcs-ER11-collet-1-4-3-16and1-8-/281142871145?pt=BI_Tool_Work_Holding&hash=item41756bc469)