PDA

View Full Version : Dowel Making Tool

James RS
10-04-2014, 06:35 PM
Hello All,
I came across this on youtube actually and figured I'd share it.
It looks pretty well built, and to make your own dowels

http://www.cylindermill.com/
http://youtu.be/d9ZYHPq6EEU

mtylerfl
10-05-2014, 05:45 PM
James,

Thanks for sharing that. Very interesting. I am now tempted to get one of those, and I don't even know why. I guess because it just looks fun (and a bit dangerous) to use! :)

DianMayfield
10-05-2014, 09:02 PM
:) I want one, and I don't make table legs or canes, really, anything round! But...

If I had the rotary, I sure would use it to reduce the wear & tear on my CW!!

PSQRD
10-06-2014, 10:12 AM
Not sure how many of you are DIYer or purchase things already made in regards to jigs/sleds on the table saw but Izzy Swan on youtube has been doing this for sometime now, even to the extent of turning bowls on the table saw. Lots of good info if you want to give it a go yourselves. Worth checking out http://youtu.be/fp5n7SpzGLE
Paul

bergerud
10-06-2014, 11:30 AM
Could one not use the rotary jig itself on a table saw (or router table) to round the dowels? With the right jig under it, it could almost be safe!

Edit: still thinking: use it upsidedown

mtylerfl
10-06-2014, 12:55 PM
Could one not use the rotary jig itself on a table saw (or router table) to round the dowels? With the right jig under it, it could almost be safe!

Edit: still thinking: use it upsidedown

That is a definite possibility and an interesting idea. Maybe someone will try it.

bergerud
10-06-2014, 01:09 PM
I will try it. I was going to make a jig for my bandsaw. It was going to be much more complicated. Adjustable moving parts and such.

A guide system to use the rotary jig on a table saw or router table would be so much simpler. And even better yet, the dowel will be true on the jig ready to go.

Thanks for this thread James!

ladjr
10-06-2014, 02:50 PM
I didn't see what the maximum diameter it can handle. Does anyone know the maximum.

bergerud
10-06-2014, 03:31 PM
He does say around 12" in FAQ.

James RS
10-06-2014, 04:10 PM
I saw Izzy Swans video awhile back, thought about it for awhile. Then I saw this and thought I could do longer pieces if I wanted.
I was only limited by the unistrut length. I watch all of Izzy's videos, he does some amazing things.

Not sure how many of you are DIYer or purchase things already made in regards to jigs/sleds on the table saw but Izzy Swan on youtube has been doing this for sometime now, even to the extent of turning bowls on the table saw. Lots of good info if you want to give it a go yourselves. Worth checking out http://youtu.be/fp5n7SpzGLE
Paul

cestout
10-07-2014, 03:57 PM
My old Craftsman Router Crafter is along the same lines. It might be faster than my lathe to make pieces for the rotary jig.
Clint

bergerud
02-11-2015, 06:06 PM
Well I finally have gotten around to experimenting with using a jig on the table saw to make dowels for the rotary. First I tried the CW rotary jig itself upside down on my table saw with the dowel perpendicular to the blade. Not so good. The forces involved were scary, the dowel rotation was hard to control, and the finish on the dowel was rough. I also tried the router table and that was worse. I was too scared to try the aluminum jig with the dowel parallel to the blade (like the cylindermill at the start of this thread) as the blade could hit the aluminum. Next I tried my own rotary jig (all wood so not so scary!). I extended the shaft and put a drill on it. It worked like a charm. I could not get to the ends of the dowel without cutting the jig, but it as a test, it was a success. I have started to design a wooden jig for the CW to make.

farmer
02-11-2015, 07:01 PM
I bought one from the cylindermill works great, takes a little while to get it set up. I have live oak on my place and wanted to be able to use it on the rotary jig.

bergerud
02-11-2015, 07:14 PM
I was surprised at how small the reaction forces are when you cut with the grain. It sure can make a big mess fast though. Need a wood shaving collection system for indoor use!

SteveNelson46
02-11-2015, 07:55 PM
I guess if you were going to make a lot of dowels for larger projects this would be a great thing. However, the Rotary jig will use square stock and even make round dowels up to the capacity of the jig. It takes a lot of time though.

I think a lathe is still the best tool for making round stock but, it does require a certain amount of skill.

bergerud
02-11-2015, 08:27 PM
I think this thing is going to be very useful, fast, and easy to use. I hate to use the CW to do things that are more easily done by other machines. (My rotary jig has Plexiglas on top for dust collection and so I really need the bigger dowels to be already round.)

James RS
02-12-2015, 03:40 AM
I actually have one, and tried it. The one thing I found with that is you have to be pretty precise
on the alignment,. Otherwise you have a tapered dowel

My old Craftsman Router Crafter is along the same lines. It might be faster than my lathe to make pieces for the rotary jig.
Clint

CNC Carver
02-12-2015, 06:58 AM
You alway make great additions to your tools. Nice work!

Well I finally have gotten around to experimenting with using a jig on the table saw to make dowels for the rotary. First I tried the CW rotary jig itself upside down on my table saw with the dowel perpendicular to the blade. Not so good. The forces involved were scary, the dowel rotation was hard to control, and the finish on the dowel was rough. I also tried the router table and that was worse. I was too scared to try the aluminum jig with the dowel parallel to the blade (like the cylindermill at the start of this thread) as the blade could hit the aluminum. Next I tried my own rotary jig (all wood so not so scary!). I extended the shaft and put a drill on it. It worked like a charm. I could not get to the ends of the dowel without cutting the jig, but it as a test, it was a success. I have started to design a wooden jig for the CW to make.

bergerud
02-12-2015, 12:31 PM
First prototype test. This thing is awesome. Faster than a lathe. Seems it can do wonders in a single pass. Video coming soon.

bergerud
02-12-2015, 02:50 PM
Here is a video of the prototype in operation. I went for the brutal single pass just for the video. A sane person would take smaller passes. (My cyclone plugged because of a small strip of wood. Normally all the shavings would suck out.)

http://youtu.be/fk8ix5BrASM

CNC Carver
02-12-2015, 03:18 PM
Wonderful. Looks like it works great!

CarverJerry
02-12-2015, 03:50 PM
I seen a video on dowel making with something like bergerud's idea except they used a router and it was a little slower.

mtylerfl
02-12-2015, 04:11 PM
Here is a video of the prototype in operation. I went for the brutal single pass just for the video. A sane person would take smaller passes. (My cyclone plugged because of a small strip of wood. Normally all the shavings would suck out.)

http://youtu.be/fk8ix5BrASM

Dan,

That's fantastic! I'm sold!

henry1
02-12-2015, 04:47 PM
have to say the same wow

SteveNelson46
02-12-2015, 04:59 PM
Dan,

That's pretty slick. A nice bit of engineering.

RogerB
02-12-2015, 05:01 PM
Dan that looks great. I have been using a router for smaller dowels.

henry1
02-12-2015, 05:29 PM
have to say the same wow
well guest going to have make one

bergerud
02-12-2015, 07:16 PM
Thanks guys. It is fun to make something and have it work better than it should. I cannot take credit for the idea. Thanks to James RS for starting this thread on the cylinder mill.

I was really hoping to modify my rotary jig to double as a dowel maker but had to give that up. What I will do is have the dowel maker mount and hold the dowel exactly the same as my rotary jig does. That way, it will be easy switch the dowel from the dowel jig to the rotary jig.

After I cut out and try the next version, I will post the files.

bergerud
02-13-2015, 11:56 AM
If you are interested in making this dowel maker, you might want to order the bearings now. It used two F6000 bearings. (F for flange) Also a standard 6000 like in the rotary jig, spindle top, and cut motor. The flange ones are harder to find so you should order some now.

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2050601.m570.l1312.R1.TR0.TRC0.A0.H0.Xf60 00.TRS1&_nkw=f6000+bearing&_sacat=0

These are metric bearings which will require a 10mm shaft. You could go for imperial size bearings if you want. (No sweat for you to change the hole sizes in the mpc.) These are just what I had on hand and match the rotary jig sizes.

James RS
02-15-2015, 02:03 AM
There's an actual jig by Woodsmith or Woodcraft I think. Like this where as you run a router along the top on a sled if you will while the stock is turned.

First prototype test. This thing is awesome. Faster than a lathe. Seems it can do wonders in a single pass. Video coming soon.

bergerud
02-15-2015, 09:28 AM
I tried it on my router table. Nowhere as good as the table saw. Much larger forces and not capable of removing nearly as much material per pass.

bergerud
02-15-2015, 10:59 AM
Here are my latest files (I started with my rotary jig files and so these are in Designer 2). You may want to alter them for your own hardware. It is a fairly simple box which does not really require the CW to make. It could easily be made with just a table saw and drill press. I made my prototypes out of 1/2 and 3/4 MDF. There are two files, one for 1/2 and one for 3/4. You have to figure out your own base since it must fit your table saw. I glued my first one together but used screws on my second one just to make it easier to alter. (Notice the notch in the front bearing block. It is to attach a ruler.)

I really think this is an awesome tool for anyone serious about using the rotary jig. Post pictures of what you make!

James RS
02-16-2015, 05:47 PM
You wouldn't need the router table from the one i saw. They made a sled for the router to slide across the top

I tried it on my router table. Nowhere as good as the table saw. Much larger forces and not capable of removing nearly as much material per pass.

RogerB
02-16-2015, 06:08 PM
Thanks for sharing . I am still running on 187. but I do understand how it is made. Again thanks. I have used the router table for smaller work like rods for windows etc.

bergerud
02-16-2015, 06:28 PM
You wouldn't need the router table from the one i saw. They made a sled for the router to slide across the top

I think a router table is better than a stand alone router on a guide and, still, nothing like the smoothness of the table saw. The table saw can handle large variations in a single pass whereas the router bites and grabs something awful. You just have to try it!! I can make dowels out of firewood.

Thanks for sharing . I am still running on 187. but I do understand how it is made. Again thanks. I have used the router table for smaller work like rods for windows etc.

I figured that only rotary jig people would want to make this and so Designer 2.0 should be ok. I would have had to start from scratch since my rotary jig III mpcs are all in Designer 2.0 and I just modified them for the dowel maker. (Henry could upload it onto your card.)

aokweld101
02-17-2015, 05:51 AM
Dan, that is awsum I saved the file, I recieved the rotary jig yesterday I'm ready to play with it and that is a good time to make this for the rotary jig, I have to wait a couple of days.. it is getting cold here 46 degrees for the high...Brrr.

bergerud
02-18-2015, 06:46 PM
In case you wondered what the notch in the bearing block was for:

mikemi
02-18-2015, 07:37 PM
That is a fantastic idea bergerud, saves a lot of fumbling with a tape measure.

Mike

aokweld101
06-27-2015, 07:13 AM
Dan, I have been wanting to make this since you posted it, What hardware did you use for the drill and is there a different name for what I call a center finder I haven't made a thing yet with the rotary jig because I want to make the bear claw and can't find a 3" dowel.

bergerud
06-27-2015, 08:12 AM
I would just call that thing a center as on a lathe. Try and make the drive flange as close as you can to the one on the rotary jig. That way the dowel easily swaps over.

aokweld101
06-27-2015, 11:15 AM
what did use use for the drill end of it ?

SteveNelson46
06-27-2015, 12:11 PM
Dan, I have been wanting to make this since you posted it, What hardware did you use for the drill and is there a different name for what I call a center finder I haven't made a thing yet with the rotary jig because I want to make the bear claw and can't find a 3" dowel.

The rotary jig will round the square blank for you. As part of the setup, the prompts will ask for the diagonal measurement of the square blank. Using the arrow keys, select the measurement that is equal to or greater than your actual measurement (not less). The carving will start high as it doesn't know if you started on a flat or on a corner and work its way down. Although I have a lathe to turn the blank round first, it's faster to just start with a square blank and I have never broken a bit using this method.

aokweld101
06-27-2015, 12:31 PM
What I don't like Steve is the carve time on the CW machine...I have hard enough time just keeping it runnining !

SteveNelson46
06-27-2015, 12:35 PM
What I don't like Steve is the carve time on the CW machine...I have hard enough time just keeping it runnining !

Me too! But, even professional CNC machines are slow if the quality of the carve is good.

aokweld101
06-27-2015, 12:46 PM
I finished a carve three weeks ago and things were working good, tried to run my apothecary cabinet yesterday and my board sensor was bad did the checks put a piece of paper down and the best reading was 25, so I am waiting for a board sensor.

bergerud
06-27-2015, 02:09 PM
what did use use for the drill end of it ?

I used a 10 mm ground shaft that was in my junk pile. I made it a press fit in the drive disk. You can just use a bolt. It just has to fit with whatever bearings you use.

aokweld101
06-27-2015, 06:36 PM
Thanks Dan, I have the board carrier downloaded and come to find out the guy helping me get parts, got me pan head screws instead of furniture screws...(do it myself next time)... to many irons in the fire..lol