PDA

View Full Version : Cut a groove

rflournoy
10-01-2014, 12:58 PM
I want to make a coin holder to display my military coins, but I can't figure out how to cut a straight line 3/16" W x 1/4" D. The length doesn't matter but width and depth are the important things. This has to be simple, but I'm probably overlooking the obvious.

unitedcases
10-01-2014, 01:00 PM
I want to make a coin holder to display my military coins, but I can't figure out how to cut a straight line 3/16" W x 1/4" D. The length doesn't matter but width and depth are the important things. This has to be simple, but I'm probably overlooking the obvious.
Make a straight line. Assign the desired bit and depth. Assign bit tool.

rflournoy
10-01-2014, 01:03 PM
thank you! I knew it had to be easy!

Digitalwoodshop
10-01-2014, 02:46 PM
And in MY opinion I would take that one step further....

Say you assign the 1/8th cutting bit to that vector line and set the depth and let if FLY... You could snap the bit.... "could"... Due to the 2 speed feed rate... it will speed up to 2nd gear and sometimes snap the bit...

You could do the same and make it multi pass same setup....

If I were to do it.... I would setup your lines with say the 1/8th inch cutting bit for spacing and length.

I would then change the bit to the 3/8 inch bit in DESIGNER and use multi pass and set the actual depth.... You are going to "LIE" to the machine....

I would then load the 1/8 inch bit when it asks for the 3/8... WHAT this will do is lock you feed rate into 1st gear for a smooth less stressful on the bit cut....

I do it all the time..... It will take longer to cut without 2nd gear but time is CHEAP... BITS... Expensive...:-P

AL

SteveNelson46
10-01-2014, 06:47 PM

Just use a "pocket cut". Draw a rectangle that is the desired width and length. In the example I used 3/16" in width by 6" length. With the rectangle selected, assign the 1/8" cutting bit to a depth of .25" and an inset of .063" (bit radius). This process may sound complicated but, I did it in less than a minute.