PDA

View Full Version : October 2014 Project of the Month - Floral Fascination Box

mtylerfl
09-30-2014, 07:46 PM
Hello,

The Floral Fascination Box project will make a wonderful gift for any special occasion! The design features two separate storage sections. The two tongue and groove sliding lids will protect the contents of whatever “fascinating” items the recipient chooses to stow (jewelry, accessories, knick-knacks or even candy).

All components are carved and cut out using just the 1/16" Carving Bit and the 1/8" Cutting Bit. No other bits are required.

The completed project is about is about 4" tall x 7" deep x 12" long.

Main items you will need:
1) The Project Files (included):
• All_Side_Panels.mpc
• End-and-Middle_Panels.mpc
• Lid_Layout.mpc

2) Board with the following dimensions:
Side Panels: 0.75" x 9" x 24"
End & Middle Panels: 0.75" x 9" x 19"
Lid_Layout: 0.75" x 7" x 18"
Box Bottom Panel*: 0.25" x 10" x 4.875"
*(Not an MPC - cut the box bottom yourself from 0.25" MDF, hardboard or Plywood )

Do not use boards that are smaller than specified above unless using an appropriate jig.

3) A candle, wood glue, sandpaper, wood stain and/or paint and clear finish

4) A Dremel-type rotary tool with assorted sanding wheels and bits to sand small details and speed up preparation for finishing.

Apply your choice of finish.

Here’s what I used on my own “Floral Fascination Box” made from Select Pine:

• Wiped on Rust-Oleum Traditional Cherry stain onto select areas on the main box and “handles” on the ends of the sliding lids (no stain was applied inside the box, in the slots, nor the end panels)

• Brushed on three coats full-strength SealCoat on all parts, sanding between coats, as required

• Several light coats Zinsser Bulls Eye spray Shellac

• Several light coats of Krylon Clear acrylic spray after completing box assembly

Smoken D
10-01-2014, 08:14 AM
Great project and a lot of thought into it Michael. Contrasting wood will make this a wonderful project.

rcdages
10-01-2014, 10:01 AM
Outstanding project Michael !!!!!

mikemi
10-01-2014, 03:47 PM
Very unique Michael. My wife will love it. Thanks.

Mike

Ducky63
10-01-2014, 04:03 PM
Looks great Michael!!! I'll have to wait until I get 2 hands again & able to work in the shop again. Happy Halloween Michael!!!

farmer
10-01-2014, 05:58 PM
Great project Michael!!

mtylerfl
10-02-2014, 07:21 AM
Thanks, everyone! This particular project has been on my ta-do list for years (i.e., listed as "make a sliding top box"). I forgot all about it until I spotted it again when perusing over one of my idea folders. I should jot the dates down when I put ideas on my lists so I can see exactly how long they've been "waiting". :)

henry1
10-02-2014, 09:48 AM
Thanks, everyone! This particular project has been on my ta-do list for years (i.e., listed as "make a sliding top box"). I forgot all about it until I spotted it again when perusing over one of my idea folders. I should jot the dates down when I put ideas on my lists so I can see exactly how long they've been "waiting". :)

Great project Michael and also I want to get the owl pencil holder I see its not in the pattern store yet what the holdup

Smoken D
10-02-2014, 12:48 PM
Henry, here you go.

http://store.carvewright.com/product.php?productid=25027&cat=261&page=1

ekimnamyr
10-02-2014, 05:37 PM
Michael this month and last months as usual are great . Appreciate the time you put forth on these. Makes the cost well worth it Thanks again.
Mike

rickyz
10-02-2014, 06:58 PM
is it available yet, going to start up with the p.o.m. again and just waiting for the oct. one to become available....Looks awesome....

Smoken D
10-03-2014, 09:28 AM
Not out yet. maybe sometime today.

TerryT
10-03-2014, 11:26 AM
Michael,
Great project!

lynnfrwd
10-03-2014, 11:34 AM
Not out yet. maybe sometime today.

Should be today. We were still trying to work out some issues with emails.

Chris77089
10-03-2014, 05:49 PM
We are still working on getting everything updated from changing our email to a different server. We are waiting until everything is updated to send out the Project of the month and Carver's Club for October.

rickyz
10-06-2014, 07:19 PM
any update yet on when it will be available? anyone received it yet?:confused::)

Roy Fleshman
11-29-2014, 05:40 PM
First of all thanks for coming up with such an innovative design and project. I have made four so far and personalized each with with their name and or different carving patterns on the top and sides. I have a question about the top and sides. I have tried to rotate the pattern for both of these 90 degrees. This will allow a number of things: run the project on narrow stock of which I have a lot of and change the direction of the grain of the wood. Anyway, I tried a number of options and either it would not work or I received a message that I couldn't modify the pattern. Thank you in advance.

Smoken D
12-13-2014, 10:10 AM
Got this done for the grand-daughter as a Christmas present. Made it out of oak + a little medium red mahogany stain. Added her name and some other carvings on the side for her. Great project Michael, Thanks! I know she will love it, she turns 16 tomorrow. ;)

blhutchens
12-13-2014, 10:22 AM
Great job, I'm sure she will love it.

Brent