PDA

View Full Version : Another newbie question about carving quality

djarboe
09-29-2014, 11:59 AM
The difference in carving time between "best" and "optimal" is significant (5+ hours vs. 11+ hours). Is there that much difference in quality between the two to justify the difference in carving time?

Dave

lynnfrwd
09-29-2014, 12:20 PM
The difference in carving time between "best" and "optimal" is significant (5+ hours vs. 11+ hours). Is there that much difference in quality between the two to justify the difference in carving time?

Dave

If you are using a tight grained wood, you will be fine in Best. If it is a loose grained wood, Optimal is better to use.

FWMiller
09-29-2014, 12:22 PM
It depends on how much detail is on the design and how much sanding you want to do at the end. On some designs the extra time is not necessary but it can't be judged without seeing the design. There are definitely times when the extra time is justified.

SteveNelson46
09-29-2014, 01:44 PM

Dave

I suggest that you experiment with a few test carves on both settings and determine what is best for you. All else are just opinions.

djarboe
09-30-2014, 09:28 AM
Actually, I'm carving walnut.

lynnfrwd
09-30-2014, 11:13 AM
I would think walnut would be fine on best.

SteveNelson46
09-30-2014, 11:23 AM
Actually, I'm carving walnut.

Walnut is one of my favorite woods to carve. Since quality is the most important to me, I always use "Optimum" on everything and time usually isn't a factor. Then I'm assured it will be the best quality with very little cleanup. Just my opinion though.

CW-HAL9000
09-30-2014, 12:28 PM
I do 99% of carves on best. I have tried all settings and it works for me.

mtylerfl
09-30-2014, 02:07 PM
It's not only 'an opinion' regarding Carve Quality selection. There are real-world benefits.

The amount of bit step over is decreased as you "move up" in the quality choice. if the bit is moving over at only 6% to 8% of the tip diameter with each pass during carving, the longer the carve takes and the higher quality you can expect overall.

The greater the stepover percentage (i.e., lower quality choices make the bit move over more with each pass), the more likely you will see lines and/or ridges in your carvings...and POSSIBLY "fuzzies" too, but fuzzies have more to do with the type of wood, if it's 'good wood' (low moisture, and/or hardwood) and the particular grain direction (whether the bit is carving 'with' or 'against' the grain, etc).

So, contrary to popular belief, the better quality settings are not always a guarantee against 'the fuzzies'. BUT, those settings (BEST and OPTIMAL)most often does reduce sanding time nonetheless.

There is another possible benefit for choosing better quality. Higher quality settings are somewhat "gentler" on your bits and your machine. Try a carving on DRAFT sometime, then run the same one on BEST. You'll see the feed rate is 'crazy fast' on DRAFT, but nice-n-easy going on BEST or OPTIMAL. I think Joe L at CarveWright carves on the NORMAL setting most of the time, and I guess he's pretty happy with that.

EDIT: Some time ago, I did a comparison between stepover settings on my ShopBot and my CarveWright machines. I set the stepover percentages manually for each project on the ShopBot (it's not automatic like the CW). Although far from scientific, I came up with these figures...

DRAFT seems comparable to about 16.6% stepover on the Bot
NORMAL is about 12.5% " " "
BEST is about 8.3% " " "
OPTIMAL is about 6% " " "

rcdages
09-30-2014, 03:36 PM
I do most all mine on OPTIMAL. Rather have the small step over and less sanding. Most times I have a good amount of detail.

What I do other then OPTIMAL is Best. Test carves on normal most times.