PDA

View Full Version : Cut Path Tool

Lrupri57
09-24-2014, 06:40 PM
I was trying to do the "Design Project 4" and have a problem. Have you ever noticed that somethings are left out because they just assume its so simple you should get it. I managed to get through it to the point that the outline of the sign is done using the "Line Segment Tool" and then doing the connection between the vertical and horizontal lines with the "Arc Tool". The next step is to use the "Cut Path Tool" , at that point you are suppose to get "Cut -Out-Control" box. The problem is that the "Cut Path Tool" is not high lighted, I can not select it, I've tried "Select All" and group, that does not work, I've tried "Connect Lines" and outlined the project, hitting ESC when I was done. I've searched to see if someone else had the same problem and if there was an answer. I hate being stalled like that......HELP!

fwharris
09-24-2014, 06:50 PM
Yes I noticed that a couple of weeks ago when I was doing some training for someone.

On your problem with the cut path, select all of the paths and then under the view tab select "toggle non end points". This will show you the ends that are not connected. Moving one or the other you should get them to * to show they have been connected.

Lrupri57
09-24-2014, 07:23 PM
Okay, I tried that and it still does not high light the "Cut Path Tool".

fwharris
09-24-2014, 08:48 PM
Could you post your MPC file?

Digitalwoodshop
09-24-2014, 08:57 PM
Like posted above we believe you don't have a complete connected path. All the nodes must be connected like Xmas Tree Lights for the Cut Path to highlight. AND the LAST Segment must connect to the FIRST Segment.

You can do the end point toggle like posted above... OR you can ZOOM in REAL CLOSE and move around the project and you will find one of more nodes side by side and not connected. You can just click on one and move it over the other node and it should glow red and connect. You may need to select connect tool first.

As you are building the segments next time and as you bring a new segment over the end point watch for it to glow RED as it is connecting and it will work the first time.

WE all had to learn... :mrgreen:

:) AL

fwharris
09-24-2014, 09:11 PM
Another possible is, you can not join mirrored lines.. Copy, paste and rotate..

Lrupri57
09-24-2014, 10:18 PM
Yep, that's what it was, I did not do it in a series. I did it in a series and it still did not come up, my last connection was off, corrected that and it was okay. Thanks

Digitalwoodshop
09-25-2014, 09:09 AM
Yep, that's what it was, I did not do it in a series. I did it in a series and it still did not come up, my last connection was off, corrected that and it was okay. Thanks

Good JOB !!!!

Remember you can take the shapes you make like this and turn them into a shallow carve region then delet the path. Then outline and you have a new path with less nodes. You can also rotate the carve regions sometimes too. I use the hand drawn tool to outline patterns and put the pattern on a 12 x 12 inch board making it as big as possible then scale it down later. It makes slight errors not as visible. Also turn off perspective view to turn off paralax so what is in the center of the screen is in the edges too.

And I make many nodes as I go the first time and go back and adjust them the second time and sometimes add more nodes and also remove some. Then when done make it a carve region and outline for less nodes.

Good Luck,

AL