PDA

View Full Version : Replacing my first flex shaft

DianMayfield
09-24-2014, 06:26 PM
Just received a new flex shaft. It had a little more twist than I was comfortable with. With the collected wisdom here, is there anything to be added to the instructions provided?

I am also replacing the tophat. With the wobble in the z bearings a couple of weeks ago, I wanted make sure I wasn't dealing with collateral damage.

Thanks in advance!

fwharris
09-24-2014, 06:51 PM
When you say "twisted" are talking about the outer core of the flex cable?

unitedcases
09-24-2014, 06:56 PM
Just received a new flex shaft. It had a little more twist than I was comfortable with. With the collected wisdom here, is there anything to be added to the instructions provided?

I am also replacing the tophat. With the wobble in the z bearings a couple of weeks ago, I wanted make sure I wasn't dealing with collateral damage.

Thanks in advance!
Can you post a picture?

DianMayfield
09-24-2014, 06:57 PM
The core itself, it was almost a 1/4 turn. Doing a little preemptive maintenance, as I have been doing a lot of cutting lately.

And I am worried that the z bearings being bad will have had a cascading effect. I presume they (and the head) wobbled for a while, as I have had annoying quality issues - mostly chip out when there was none on previous wood/carve combos.

unitedcases
09-24-2014, 08:41 PM
Last night I had to pm machine #1. I noticed the top non adjustable roller was canted. For some reason it was screwed on good and tight but that bearing was canted out. I ended up changing the bearing. And now it sits flat. No matter how tight I made that screw it would not tighten up and sit the correct way. Was very weird. I finally gave in to a new bearing. It sits flush now like it should. Maybe something to look for.

Digitalwoodshop
09-24-2014, 08:50 PM
The screw plugs in both bearings are pressed in and you may have one that is not flush to the inner race.... (Offset and Center drilled)

AL

http://www.vxb.com/page/bearings/PROD/Kit8369 Someone posted this, not sure it is the same one.

SAVE the old bearings for the core... you may need them someday...:mrgreen::twisted::mrgreen: